Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Weakened Seat Tube?

Started by Gary Jacobson · · Last activity · 8 posts · 714 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 August 2003
Last activity
25 August 2003
Original author
Gary Jacobson
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
714
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What do use think the thickness of primer, paint, and top clear coat is? From the side the cross
    section of the tube looks "flat" at the site that was disturbed, and it is easily palpable. Perhaps
    my fingers exaggerated the amount of material removed.

    Thanks for your help.

    Gary

    "James Thomson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Gary Jacobson said:

    Today I noticed that it was more than paint that was removed. There is actually a flat spot, and
    I suppose that maybe 2 mm has been removed so that means some steel besides the paint was
    abraded away. If it means anything, there are two colors of steel that I can see.

    Most bicycle tubes are thinner than 1mm (typically 0.9 to 0.7mm) in their thickest sections, so if
    you had lost 2mm of material, your tube would be holed. The two colours you can see are probably
    grey primer, then steel.

  2. Just took a good look at Bianchi TSX UL that I had been running Michelin 25 tires on which are
    pretty tall. I rode maybe 200 miles with them.This frame has short chain stays.I went to Michelin 23
    tires a while back because I noticed that the paint was being rubbed off from grit that would wedge
    between the tire and the seat tube.

    Today I noticed that it was more than paint that was removed. There is actually a flat spot, and I
    suppose that maybe 2 mm has been removed so that means some steel besides the paint was abraded
    away. If it means anything, there are two colors of steel that I can see.

    Is this frame doomed to fail? I had plans on selling it, but I wonder if it has any value now. I
    imagine, given all the importance on BB stiffness, that this area (between front deraillure braze on
    and BB, on rear of seat tube) is a stress focal point.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks.

    Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

  3. "Gary Jacobson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just took a good look at Bianchi TSX UL that I had been running Michelin


    25

    Quoted message said:

    tires on which are pretty tall. I rode maybe 200 miles with them.This


    frame

    Quoted message said:

    has short chain stays.I went to Michelin 23 tires a while back because I noticed that the paint
    was being rubbed off from grit that would wedge between the tire and the seat tube.

    Today I noticed that it was more than paint that was removed. There is actually a flat spot, and I
    suppose that maybe 2 mm has been removed so


    that

    Quoted message said:

    means some steel besides the paint was abraded away. If it means anything, there are two colors of
    steel that I can see.

    Is this frame doomed to fail? I had plans on selling it, but I wonder if


    it

    Quoted message said:

    has any value now. I imagine, given all the importance on BB stiffness,


    that

    Quoted message said:

    this area (between front deraillure braze on and BB, on rear of seat tube) is a stress
    focal point.

    Any thoughts?

    Are you *sure* the frame wasn't made that way (flat to accommodate tire)?

    Bill "once thought newish chainrings were missing teeth" S.

  4. Ooops. It' above the braze on, not below it.

    And no, there is no evidence that the tube was shaped to accommodate the tire, though it is a
    "squashed" tube. Gary Jacobson

    Quoted message said:

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...


    I imagine, given all the importance on BB stiffness,

    Quoted message said:

    that

    Quoted message said:

    this area (between front deraillure braze on and BB, on rear of seat


    tube)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is a stress focal point.

  5. Gary Jacobson said:

    Today I noticed that it was more than paint that was removed. There is actually a flat spot, and I
    suppose that maybe 2 mm has been removed so that means some steel besides the paint was abraded
    away. If it means anything, there are two colors of steel that I can see.

    Most bicycle tubes are thinner than 1mm (typically 0.9 to 0.7mm) in their thickest sections, so if
    you had lost 2mm of material, your tube would be holed. The two colours you can see are probably
    grey primer, then steel.

    Quoted message said:

    Is this frame doomed to fail?

    Unlikely, but you should protect the bare metal with paint.

    James Thomson

  6. Gary Jacobson said:

    I noticed that the paint was being rubbed off from grit that would wedge between the tire and the
    seat tube.

    Quoted message said:

    Today I noticed that it was more than paint that was removed. There is actually a flat spot, and I
    suppose that maybe 2 mm has been removed so that means some steel besides the paint was abraded
    away. If it means anything, there are two colors of steel that I can see.

    Quoted message said:

    Is this frame doomed to fail? I had plans on selling it, but I wonder if it has any value now. I
    imagine, given all the importance on BB stiffness, that this area (between front deraillure braze
    on and BB, on rear of seat tube) is a stress focal point.

    Do you mean a 2mm long section of paint was removed? Not 2mm deep. That tube is not 2mm thick to
    begin with.

    Seat tubes are under less stress than downtubes, BB shells or chainstays - probably not very much
    torsion on a seat tube. And people ride frames with tube dings for years. Obviously I haven't seen
    it, but it may never fail - the most severe damage is likely to the resale value.

  7. Gary Jacobson said:

    What do you think the thickness of primer, paint, and top clear coat is?

    I've just measured four steel frames - three painted, one powder coated. The overall diameters
    varied from 28.8 to 29.0mm on a 28.6mm nominal tube. I don't know what paints Bianchi use.

    Quoted message said:

    From the side the cross section of the tube looks "flat" at the site that was disturbed, and it is
    easily palpable. Perhaps my fingers exaggerated the amount of material removed.

    It's not impossible the tube might have been crushed slightly. A Vernier calliper would tell you
    quickly how the dimensions of the tube have changed.

    James Thomson

  8. Quoted message said:

    Today I noticed that it was more than paint that was removed. There is actually a flat spot, and I
    suppose that maybe 2 mm has been removed so that means some steel besides the paint was abraded
    away. If it means anything, there are two colors of steel that I can see.

    Is this frame doomed to fail? I had plans on selling it, but I wonder if it has any value now. I
    imagine, given all the importance on BB stiffness, that this area (between front deraillure braze
    on and BB, on rear of seat tube) is a stress focal point.


    It's doomed, Gary, utterly doomed. the safest thing is to stop riding this instant and send it to me
    for proper disposal. Oh, I forgot to ask, what size is it? Phil Brown

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.