Wearing out shorts in 2 rides - what to do?

genedoc

Aug 15, 2006
After just two 35 m rides, I wore holes in both thighs of my brand new PI bibs. I checked another new pair of shorts (Descent) and noticed they were wearing rapidly too.

I have a Selle Italia saddle and I am slim of build (6'2", 180#, 33 waist). Has anyone had this problem or have any idea what I can do to eliminate it? ~$25 in cycling clothes per ride is damned expensive.

Is the wear where the shorts are rubbing the nose of the saddle? Is there a rough spot on the saddle that would rub a hole in the shorts? Do you tend to grip the nose of the saddle with your thighs as you ride?

I have yet to wear out a pair of cycling shorts. I have had to replace them as I lost weight, but none of them show any signs of wear. When I started riding, I was 265 pounds, so if anything, one would expect my thighs to rub the saddle more than yours would.

Did you remember to remove your genital piercings before putting on the shorts? Those always tear the hell out of my Lycra.

RickF said:
Is the wear where the shorts are rubbing the nose of the saddle? Is there a rough spot on the saddle that would rub a hole in the shorts? Do you tend to grip the nose of the saddle with your thighs as you ride?

I have yet to wear out a pair of cycling shorts. I have had to replace them as I lost weight, but none of them show any signs of wear. When I started riding, I was 265 pounds, so if anything, one would expect my thighs to rub the saddle more than yours would.
That was my first thought. I checked the saddle and it's smooth. I've never worn out shorts either. I still have a pair from 1985 that I don't really wear anymore, but they have a lot of miles and no signs of wear.

It's strange.

If you have a bag under your saddle, check to see if the velcro straps are rubbing your shorts while ridding. I had this happen.

th4par said:
If you have a bag under your saddle, check to see if the velcro straps are rubbing your shorts while ridding. I had this happen.
It's possible. I have one of those CAT-1 piccolo bags from Performance that are very very small. I certainly don't feel anything and at the rate the shorts are wearing I would think I could feel it. I can feel the seat post strap if I forget to secure it.

I will check it tonight.

genedoc said:
It's possible. I have one of those CAT-1 piccolo bags from Performance that are very very small. I certainly don't feel anything and at the rate the shorts are wearing I would think I could feel it. I can feel the seat post strap if I forget to secure it.

I will check it tonight.
bingo, the only way ive worn holes on the inside of my shorts is from the bag.

as a kid my mother would say that my toes have teeth when I get holes in socks, check for teeth in your thighs.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
haha.

On a serious note, I found that Velcro fasteners on gloves, bags etc..are bad offenders to premature damage or wear. I used to get lazy and throw my gloves unfastened in the bag with my gear after changing only to find that they are stuck to my shorts/jerseys, then having to rip them off and leave a scuff tear GRRR..
mad.gif
I've had the same probs overhanging extra velcro straps on a saddlebag and backpack. or even when I put my glove near my shorts while riding/ sitting up. Damn annoying damaging a nice pair of expensive shorts within the first few rides. I've taken a fall / slide onto the side of my knicks on pavement once and not even a mark. (can't say much for my knee and elbow.) VELCRO why are you so CRUEL??? Do they make gloves without velcro straps?:confused:

Rockslayer said:
as a kid my mother would say that my toes have teeth when I get holes in socks, check for teeth in your thighs.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
haha.

On a serious note, I found that Velcro fasteners on gloves, bags etc..are bad offenders to premature damage or wear. I used to get lazy and throw my gloves unfastened in the bag with my gear after changing only to find that they are stuck to my shorts/jerseys, then having to rip them off and leave a scuff tear GRRR..
mad.gif
I've had the same probs overhanging extra velcro straps on a saddlebag and backpack. or even when I put my glove near my shorts while riding/ sitting up. Damn annoying damaging a nice pair of expensive shorts within the first few rides. I've taken a fall / slide onto the side of my knicks on pavement once and not even a mark. (can't say much for my knee and elbow.) VELCRO why are you so CRUEL??? Do they make gloves without velcro straps?:confused:
I think you, and the previous poster, are correct. I checked this morning and was very surprised to learn that my inner thigh barely, but definitely, brushes against the Velcro strap around the seat post from my saddle bag. I've never felt it.

Since I have only that tiny bag, I just mounted it the other way around with the seat post strap up off the back end. We'll see how it goes tonight.

I guess that's the penalty for massive legs.

th4par said:

My experience also.
Luckily, I found it before it was too late.

allgoo19 said:
My experience also.
Luckily, I found it before it was too late.
That seems to have been the - expensive - problem. I rode yesterday and checked the wear on my shorts before and after and there was no new wear wit my bag pointed backwards (i.e. no velcro strap o nthe post).

Ruined: new Perfomance bibs
Serious wear: new descent shorts
Nearly ruined: older PI shorts

And even when I new that was it, I could not feel it on the bike!

Damn $6 saddle bag.

genedoc said:
That seems to have been the - expensive - problem. I rode yesterday and checked the wear on my shorts before and after and there was no new wear wit my bag pointed backwards (i.e. no velcro strap o nthe post).

Ruined: new Perfomance bibs
Serious wear: new descent shorts
Nearly ruined: older PI shorts

And even when I new that was it, I could not feel it on the bike!

Damn $6 saddle bag.
You need this sort of bag/ box, at least it won't damage the knicks but it will put a dent in the wallet.

carbcasegr1.gif
carbcasegr2.gif
carbcasegr4-1.gif

kleng said:
You need this sort of bag/ box, at least it won't damage the knicks but it will put a dent in the wallet.

carbcasegr1.gif
carbcasegr2.gif
carbcasegr4-1.gif
Looks interesting. Where to get?

genedoc said:
QUOTE]

I have a Specialized bag and found out the hard way too. The velcro strap is so long that about 1 inch (hard velcro side) was "open" at the left side, which my shorts rubbed against. So I cut about 2 inches off the velcro so that the hard side is secured at the front of the seat post and the side just has the soft velcro side. Now, if my shorts rub, it will be against the soft velcro side, not the 1 inch piece of open hard side