General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Weber Genesis B Silver-Our New Toy

Started by Goomba38 · · Last activity · 17 posts · 169 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 May 2007
Last activity
30 May 2007
Original author
Goomba38
Posts
17
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
169
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–17 of 17
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Wow. I think we scored big. A brand new Weber Genesis B Silver (although
    I understand that they are discontinued) for $398.00. 3 Stainless Steel
    burners, 36K BTU. I like the bottom cabinet which hides the tank from
    view. Nice compact drop down shelf in front of fixed shelf. And it fits
    perfectly on the porch. The lack of a side burner is a plus, as we
    rarely to never used our previous grill side burner.
    He went out with to buy the newer Weber Spirit E-310 which runs nearer
    to $499.00 but came home with this. Apparently Walmart had it in stock.
    I hate Walmart, and wouldn't have looked there but he did...and scored.
    At least it is an American made grill.
    Husband is reading the manual (wuss, lol) now.
    Let the grilling games begin!
    Goomba

  2. On Mon, 28 May 2007 17:36:23 -0400, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Let the grilling games begin!
    Goomba

    So, are you grilling tonight? If so, what are you grilling? Or if not
    tonight, what's the first thing you are going to grill on it?

    We want pictures too. 🙂

    Christine

  3. Christine Dabney said:


    So, are you grilling tonight? If so, what are you grilling? Or if
    not tonight, what's the first thing you are going to grill on it?

    With new equipment, I'd cook some stuff
    just to drive out chemicals in the
    painted surfaces and season the grill.
    Like cheap pork sausages, which would
    then be tossed out or fed to the dog
    (if I had a dog -- there was a coyote
    howling nearby last night, but I don't
    lay claim to it).

    And if one batch didn't clear out any
    chemical smells, I do it again and
    again until they're gone.

  4. Christine Dabney said:

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 17:36:23 -0400, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Let the grilling games begin!
    Goomba

    So, are you grilling tonight? If so, what are you grilling? Or if not
    tonight, what's the first thing you are going to grill on it?

    We want pictures too. 🙂

    Christine

    LOL, no I'm not! (Or I should say he's not!) He's in charge of grilling
    in this house. Of course with this new beast so simple to use I might
    use it on my own more often??
    I had already started a huge pot of tomato sauce and we're having
    macaroni tonight. He was craving it earlier than his shopping trip. But
    we have four thick rib eyes that we're anticipating grilling tomorrow
    night.

  5. Goomba38 <[email hidden]> was forced to post this in:
    rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:

    Husband is reading the manual (wuss, lol) now.

    LOL... real men don't need manuals... yeah right!

    Quoted message said:

    Let the grilling games begin!
    Goomba

    Whatcha' makin'? I have a mental image of you and the hubster with white
    hats and aprons looking over the grill. Like a surgical team 😉

    Michael

    --
    This is how it works in my house. Click the pic to enlarge it:
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=42ko0mf
    -remove "foodie" to email

  6. "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Whatcha' makin'? I have a mental image of you and the hubster with
    white hats and aprons looking over the grill. Like a surgical team 😉

    Michael

    Does it come Assembled?

    --

    The house of the burning beet-Alan

    It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
    Elbonian Folklore

  7. Goomba38 said:

    Wow. I think we scored big. A brand new Weber Genesis B Silver (although
    I understand that they are discontinued) for $398.00. 3 Stainless Steel
    burners, 36K BTU. I like the bottom cabinet which hides the tank from
    view. Nice compact drop down shelf in front of fixed shelf. And it fits
    perfectly on the porch.

    An outdoor grill on the porch??? Almost guaranteed you will burn your
    house down. Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
    your house and from any other combustable material. This is not a
    joke.

    Sheldon

  8. Sheldon said:

    An outdoor grill on the porch??? Almost guaranteed you will burn your
    house down. Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
    your house and from any other combustable material. This is not a
    joke.

    Sheldon

    But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only thing
    that encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to ceiling
    screen. It gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that... so seriously
    I don't understand..?

  9. Goomba38 said:


    Sheldon said:

    An outdoor grill on the porch??? Almost guaranteed you will
    burn your house down. Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of
    15 feet from your house and from any other combustable material.
    This is not a joke.

    But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only
    thing that encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to
    ceiling screen. It gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that...
    so seriously I don't understand..?

    On the one hand, I agree with Sheldon that safety
    is really important, and that few people pay enough
    attention to that.

    On the other hand, I'm not worried about you.
    You seem to be intelligent enough not to make
    the stupid mistakes which typically result in
    death. I've done much chancier things, but
    always with my eyes wide open. If I left a
    hot BBQ unattended, I would always hose down
    the whole area (20 feet diameter, more for
    ignitable substances) with copious water.
    I would even hose down a gravel driveway,
    if it was within the diameter. Even those
    precautions would keep my safety nerves
    on edge.

    Nobody has mentioned carbon monoxide poisoning.
    Once one makes an appropriate sacrifice to the
    fire safety gods, the most common critical
    omission is attending to the carbon monoxide
    hazard. A friend of mine came close to killing
    himself and his whole family because of that.

    If rising hot combustion gases could be caught
    by a roof gable and passed into an open window,
    I would worry about that. Of course, if you
    have a carbon monoxide warning detector, then
    there should be no problem. Mine indicates
    the ambient CO level before it sounds an alarm,
    so I can monitor the situation quite well.

  10. Goomba38 said:
    Sheldon said:

    An outdoor grill on the porch???  Almost guaranteed you will burn your
    house down.  Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
    your house and from any other combustable material.  This is not a
    joke.

    Quoted message said:

    Sheldon

    But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only thing
    that encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to ceiling
    screen. It gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that... so seriously
    I don't understand..?

    What's not to understand? No grill should ever be used on a deck,
    porch, or anything that can burn. Grills go on the ground or masonary
    patio.... and placed a minimum of 15 feet from the house or any
    combustible material, not near a shed, fence, not even a tree.

    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3737/is_200307/ai_n9276767

    http://www.naplesfire.com/documents/prevention/Gas_and_Charcoal-Fueled_Grill_Fires.pdf

  11. On Mon, 28 May 2007 21:50:28 -0400, Goomba38 <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:

    An outdoor grill on the porch??? Almost guaranteed you will burn your
    house down. Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
    your house and from any other combustable material. This is not a
    joke.

    Sheldon

    But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only thing
    that encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to ceiling
    screen. It gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that... so seriously
    I don't understand..?

    I think a photo of the area in question would be appropriate in order
    to make a valued judgment.

    I also think the food in question, and any condiments used should be
    included.

    Thank you for your cooperation.

    Koko
    ---
    Moving from
    http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com
    to
    http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com

    "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
    George Bernard Shaw

  12. "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only thing that
    encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to ceiling screen. It
    gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that... so seriously I don't
    understand..?

    In another newsgroup the question came up. 36% of all structure fires are
    cooking related. Here is some information about grill fires
    http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/tfrs/v2i3-508.pdf

    While Sheldon is correct, I still have my grill on the deck, but it is 15'
    away from the house and there is no overhang above it.
    There are 6500 fires a year.
    Nearly a third of residential grill fires start on a court, terrace, or
    patio (Figure 4). Lawns and other nearby open areas account for an
    additional 27% of fire locations, and exterior balconies or open porches
    account for 21%. Some areas where residential grill fires start
    (specifically balconies or porches of apartments or condominiums) violate
    fire codes in many jurisdictions.

    A gas grill fire broke out on June 14, 1998, in Buffalo, New York. The fire
    injured three people and two firefighters and caused nearly $1 million
    damage to a nearby apartment building and its contents, leaving eight
    families homeless. An improperly threaded connection on a propane gas tank
    located on a wooden deck of an outdoor grill sparked the fire.7

    If you have a bad flare up on the grill, it is far more likely to do damage
    if it is next to your house, or under a roof of some sort. No way would I
    use a grill in a screened area.

  13. Sheldon said:
    Goomba38 said:

    Wow. I think we scored big. A brand new Weber Genesis B Silver
    (although I understand that they are discontinued) for $398.00. 3
    Stainless Steel burners, 36K BTU. I like the bottom cabinet which
    hides the tank from view. Nice compact drop down shelf in front of
    fixed shelf. And it fits perfectly on the porch.

    An outdoor grill on the porch??? Almost guaranteed you will burn your
    house down. Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
    your house and from any other combustable material. This is not a
    joke.

    Sheldon

    I'd have to go with Sheldon on this one. We have a concrete block house and
    concrete blocks for a "lanai" (if you can even call it that) and my husband
    still drags grills and smokers away to the farthest corner when he's using
    them.

    We don't have a gas grill; all of ours are wood-based, but ashes can still
    fly and they do. I've finally gotten my husband to listen about not wearing
    shoes when he's grilling after he's stepped on enough hot coals. :~)

    kili

  14. kilikini said:
    Sheldon said:
    Goomba38 said:

    Wow. I think we scored big. A brand new Weber Genesis B Silver
    (although I understand that they are discontinued) for $398.00. 3
    Stainless Steel burners, 36K BTU. I like the bottom cabinet which
    hides the tank from view. Nice compact drop down shelf in front of
    fixed shelf. And it fits perfectly on the porch.

    Quoted message said:

    An outdoor grill on the porch???  Almost guaranteed you will burn your
    house down.  Put that thing on the ground, a minimum of 15 feet from
    your house and from any other combustable material.  This is not a
    joke.

    Quoted message said:

    Sheldon

    I'd have to go with Sheldon on this one.  We have a concrete block house and
    concrete blocks for a "lanai" (if you can even call it that) and my husband
    still drags grills and smokers away to the farthest corner when he's using
    them.

    We don't have a gas grill; all of ours are wood-based, but ashes can still
    fly and they do.  I've finally gotten my husband to listen about not wearing
    shoes when he's grilling after he's stepped on enough hot coals.  :~)

    Not only do folks have stupid safety habits (it'll never happen to me
    attitude) often they are against the law. When your house does burn
    down due to subborn stupidity (and eventually it will) and upon
    investigation it is discovered that you didn't comply with the
    municipal ordinances you will not be able to collect damages under
    your insurance policy... and just about every municipality within the
    US has ordinances pertaining to use of outdoor grills... your local
    fire department will be happy to supply you with a copy.
    Unfortunately fire marshalls are notoriously remiss in enforcing
    codes... really don't need a fire marshall to come around *after* the
    fact... contrary to popular belief fire departments are NOT in the
    business of fire _prevention_... as Smokey the Bear says "Only YOU can
    prevent a fire!"

    http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/tfrs/v2i3-508.pdf

    Wood decks are highly flammable, even more so with cooking grease
    spatter soaking into the wood. Everyone who grills will have flare
    ups, adn everyone who grills will occasionally leave the grill
    unattended, no exception... only takes as few drops of flaming grease
    to dribble out the bottom of a grill to ignite a deck... and I've yet
    to see anyone with fire extinguisher near their grill, not even once,
    except me. Fire will engulf a wood deck like it was a christmas tree,
    within three minutes the entire deck will be ablaze, that will ignite
    the house and its intense heat will cause a raging inferno. Every
    year people die from grills on decks.

    My grill is on the ground. Yes, it's a small chore to decend the four
    steps of my deck down to the ground and the six paces away from my
    house to the grill, but the worst that will happen if I did leave my
    grill unattended is incinerated food.

    Sheldon

  15. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Christine Dabney said:


    So, are you grilling tonight? If so, what are you grilling? Or if
    not tonight, what's the first thing you are going to grill on it?

    With new equipment, I'd cook some stuff
    just to drive out chemicals in the
    painted surfaces and season the grill.
    Like cheap pork sausages, which would
    then be tossed out or fed to the dog
    (if I had a dog -- there was a coyote
    howling nearby last night, but I don't
    lay claim to it).

    And if one batch didn't clear out any
    chemical smells, I do it again and
    again until they're gone.

    Just run it empty for a half hour and that'll burn off the oils used to
    prevent rusting, etc.

  16. Edwin Pawlowski said:

    "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:


    But why is it any different than sitting on the deck? The only thing
    that encloses it is the roof (high up at that) and floor to ceiling
    screen. It gets plenty of ventilation, so it isn't'that... so
    seriously I don't understand..?

    In another newsgroup the question came up. 36% of all structure
    fires are cooking related. Here is some information about grill fires
    http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pdf/tfrs/v2i3-508.pdf

    While Sheldon is correct, I still have my grill on the deck, but it
    is 15' away from the house and there is no overhang above it.


    (snippage)

    Quoted message said:

    If you have a bad flare up on the grill, it is far more likely to do
    damage if it is next to your house, or under a roof of some sort. No
    way would I use a grill in a screened area.

    In my last apartment I lived upstairs and my balcony was wooden (eek!). The
    man who lived downstairs had a small fenced patio, about 8X10 sq. feet. He
    appeared to have primary custody of 4 children, the oldest of which was a
    boy about 14 or 15 years old. Apparently his father had told him to get
    dinner going before he got home. The boy lit the (charcoal) grill and threw
    some chicken on it, then went inside to play Nintendo or whatever it was he
    did. Had I not been sitting on the balcony I would never have noticed the
    flames shooting up (a good 4-6 feet! what the HELL did he use to light that
    grill?!). The entire building could have been engaged in no time.

    I ran downstairs, beat on the door and yelled your grill is on fire! The
    kid got buckets of water (heh, no fire extinquisher in the place, DOH!) to
    douse the flames. (That was one stupid father, by the way. He was an
    appliance painter and kept paint and other flammable items on his patio
    within feet of the grill.)

    The ordinances in my area state grills must be at least 15 feet from the
    building, regardless of the type of dwelling, and not placed on a wooden
    surface or in an enclosed area. I frequently saw a number of more
    intelligent people dragging their grills out onto the walkway, well away
    from the buildings, if they wanted to cook out.

    Jill

  17. Goomba38 said:

    Wow. I think we scored big. A brand new Weber Genesis B Silver (although
    I understand that they are discontinued) for $398.00. 3 Stainless Steel
    burners, 36K BTU. I like the bottom cabinet which hides the tank from
    view. Nice compact drop down shelf in front of fixed shelf. And it fits
    perfectly on the porch. The lack of a side burner is a plus, as we
    rarely to never used our previous grill side burner.
    He went out with to buy the newer Weber Spirit E-310 which runs nearer
    to $499.00 but came home with this. Apparently Walmart had it in stock.
    I hate Walmart, and wouldn't have looked there but he did...and scored.
    At least it is an American made grill.
    Husband is reading the manual (wuss, lol) now.
    Let the grilling games begin!
    Goomba

    Enjoy your Weber Genesis Grill. I bought one at Home Depot a few weeks
    ago and I have no complaints.

    Becca

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.