D Stumpus said:"steve common" <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:I know you didn't ask me but
The rule around here is "don't ask, tell anyway"...
Quoted message said:2002 69kg 155lb 2:55
2005 73kg 164lb 2:59
2007 76kg 170lb 2:59
Amazing, you have proven in your last two races that weight makes *no*
difference whatsoever. And age has no effect, either.
I'm not so sure... for all we know, if Steve had maintained 73 kg, he
might have gone even faster in 2007. No?
Anyway, I've always thought that your body weight drops naturally as
your fitness improves. Which is not *necessarily* the same as your
body weight dropping the more mileage you run... although more mileage
obviously doesn't hurt.
All I know is, when watching the Boston marathon go by, it's always
fascinated me how the elites are seriously skinny, mid-packers less
so, and as the day goes by, the runners get fatter and fatter. This
was particularly noticeable at the 100th when they waived the
requirements and had 100,000 runners.
But I am not so sure if weight is correlated to the amount of miles
one runs, as I have to imagine many of these runners were averaging
the same sorts of mileage to train for the marathon. I think a better
correlation is the faster you go (i.e., the fitter you are), the
smaller you shrink.
I know, I know... I've heard that you run faster if you weigh less,
but I've never found that correlation for myself. I ran my fastest
when I was actually at my heaviest... but my weight then was
attributable to a high level of muscle mass, not fat.
jen