"Elflord" <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Not for me. Get back to me when you turn 50...
how much do you weigh at age 55 anyway ? Despite all the whining, based on
your times, I suspect you are in much better shape than the average 55
year
old. Do you think the running may have something to do with that ?
Why the sarcasm?
I was not making a point related to my relative fitness, but providing some
data about my mileage and caloric balance. Yes, I'm in better shape than
average because I run, but isn't that pretty obvious? And I'm grateful for
that blessing and many others. What point are you trying to make?
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:At age 55, I eat about 2200
calories/day running 70 mpw with 7-8000' of climbing (more like 78
flat-equivalent miles/week, I reckon). Not much is it? What do the
tables
say, 100 cals/mile? So I'm functioning at a bit over 1k calories/day
after
deducting running...it's ridiculous.yeah, it is ridiculous. Getting numbers wrong is much more common than
functioning on 1000cal/day, so I don't believe your numbers.
Another snide remark. Let me put it this way: it's more likely that you
don't know much about caloric restriction research, that one can be quite
healthy (with a 3-7% likely increase in average lifespan) eating 25% fewer
calories than the commonly established requirements.
It will not take your considerable Mathematical talents to connect the dots
from there.
Here's a decent overview article (with some intriguing implications for
running):
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070305202936.htm
Quoted message said:But calculations aside, I bet that if you quite running, you would gain
weight
on "1200 calories".
Well, I can tell you from the difficulty I have lowering it to 1500 a day,
that I'm not about to try that one!
And hey, you don't lose any credibility or respect by being civil.
-- Dan
--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com