rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Weight and Unicycling?

Started by bvsciguy · · Last activity · 9 posts · 256 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
18 June 2007
Last activity
19 June 2007
Original author
bvsciguy
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
256
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,
    I've been looking at Unicycles at Unicycle.com and noticing that most
    of the off-road unicycles have warnings that the rim can only stand 10
    in. drops with riders less than 150 lbs. I'm way past 150 lbs, is
    weight something to consider when choosing a uni? I'll be using the uni
    mostly off-road and would like for it to last a long time and still
    take hard knocks with my fat frame.
    Thanks,
    bvsciguy

    --
    bvsciguy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bvsciguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15221
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61827

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Some variation of this question comes up regularly... It boils down to
    is the uni strong enough.

    The quick answer most people will agree with is to get a Torker DX if
    you can only afford about $250 or so on Ebay, or get a KH uni if you
    can afford the roughtly $500. The DX is made from steal, making it
    heavy, and it has historically had a bit of an issue with the frame
    that may have been addressed with the 2007 model.

    The KH is very strong and much lighter... Hence the higher price.

    If you are not in America, other options like Qu-ax seem to become more
    common.

    Koxx also makes some very strong unicycles, but some feel that at least
    in America, they are comperable to a KH but more expensive.

    I weigh 230 lbs... I started with a Torker LX and outgrew it in like 3
    months... I moved up to a Torker DX, and have been happy. But, I am
    not very extreme either...

    Anyway... welcome to the forums. And, I'll mention it before everyone
    else does... The search function really does work. This issue seems to
    come up perhaps every other week or so... 😄

    Keld

    --
    Keldridge
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Keldridge's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14019
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61827

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. We need someone to try out "the secret" !🙂 Don't ask what the secret
    is, read it now or cry later !😉

    --
    feel the light
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    feel the light's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14551
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61827

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. bvsciguy said:

    *rim* can only stand 10 in. drops with riders less than 150

    It actually says the "Wheel rated...". They are refering to the entire
    wheel set.

    The wheel sets with low drop ratings are the ones with standard hubs
    and cranks, that is where the weakness is. If you drop too big and/or
    too often you bend the cranks and possibly can break the square taper
    hub. Some low end rims may be suspect too.

    You should consider going to a splined intermediate or expert uni if
    you're concerned about drop strength.

    --
    UniBrier

    Steve

    Hop Drop & Roll

    “If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
    stick that guitar in the closet next to your
    shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
    inside and watch TV.” – Homer
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61827

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Keldridge said:

    Some variation of this question comes up regularly... It boils down to
    is the uni strong enough.

    The quick answer most people will agree with is to get a Torker DX if
    you can only afford about $250 or so on Ebay, or get a KH uni if you
    can afford the roughtly $500. The DX is made from steal, making it
    heavy, and it has historically had a bit of an issue with the frame
    that may have been addressed with the 2007 model.

    The KH is very strong and much lighter... Hence the higher price.

    If you are not in America, other options like Qu-ax seem to become more
    common.

    Koxx also makes some very strong unicycles, but some feel that at least
    in America, they are comperable to a KH but more expensive.

    I weigh 230 lbs... I started with a Torker LX and outgrew it in like 3
    months... I moved up to a Torker DX, and have been happy. But, I am
    not very extreme either...

    Anyway... welcome to the forums. And, I'll mention it before everyone
    else does... The search function really does work. This issue seems to
    come up perhaps every other week or so... 😄

    Keld

    - They did fix the problem on the DX frame. The 2007 Frame is
    reinforced at the spot where it kept breaking.
    - I wouldn't recommend getting the qu-ax because it's about the same as
    the Dx but more expensive.
    - Koxx isn't more expensive than KH. They're $100 less.

    --
    Ohcrazyone
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ohcrazyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13871
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61827

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Thanks, I'll be checking out the Torker DX and i'll remember to search.
    I wouldn't have guessed that this comes up alot...
    Thanks again,
    bvsciguy

    --
    bvsciguy
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    bvsciguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15221
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61827

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Ohcrazyone said:

    -- I wouldn't recommend getting the qu-ax because it's about the same as
    the Dx but more expensive.

    Huh...only if you are talking about the cheap quax-cross series? The
    yellow hub/crank combo is far stronger, right? Or am I completely
    wrong?

    --
    oddsends
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    oddsends's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11468
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61827

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. I don't think it is. The DX hub is pretty dang strong. I only think a
    couple of people have ever broken one.

    --
    Ohcrazyone
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ohcrazyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13871
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61827

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. Ohcrazyone said:


    - I wouldn't recommend getting the qu-ax because it's about the same as
    the Dx but more expensive.

    As he said, outside the US the DX is impossible to come by unless you
    order from the US, so they Qu-Ax is cheaper everywhere else in the
    world.

    --
    kington99

    Dave

    - what a thoroughly post-modern subversion of the cycling genre -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kington99's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9417
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/61827

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.