Weird idea: Has anyone ever used dual inner tubes?

Retro Grouch

Guest
I hate flats. I hate fixing them on the side of the road even more. Has
anyone ever tried running two tubes in one tire? The rim would need a
second hole drilled for the second valve. Install both tubes but
inflate only one. When a flat happens, just pull out the thorn, nail,
whatever, and pump up the intact, second tube. Is there any reason not
to do this?

"Retro Grouch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:220420051733427650%[email protected]...
>I hate flats. I hate fixing them on the side of the road even more. Has
> anyone ever tried running two tubes in one tire? The rim would need a
> second hole drilled for the second valve. Install both tubes but
> inflate only one. When a flat happens, just pull out the thorn, nail,
> whatever, and pump up the intact, second tube. Is there any reason not
> to do this?

Interesting idea. I could see problems with the tubes getting entangled
with each other, but on the other hand it might work just fine. I think I'd
put the second tube on the "inside" (against the rim rather than the tire)
to keep it farther from whatever flatted the first tube. As "Crazy" said,
just try it and let us know how it turns out!

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

"Retro Grouch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:220420051733427650%[email protected]...
> I hate flats. I hate fixing them on the side of the road even more. Has
> anyone ever tried running two tubes in one tire? The rim would need a
> second hole drilled for the second valve. Install both tubes but
> inflate only one. When a flat happens, just pull out the thorn, nail,
> whatever, and pump up the intact, second tube. Is there any reason not
> to do this?

1) rotational weight
2) possibly hole 2 tubes at once
3) it won't work. where does the extra tube fit around the first tubes
valve?
4) it's too difficult, ever try to mount an uninflated tube?

There, that should goad you into trying to do it!

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.

D T W .../\... wrote:

> 1) rotational weight
> 2) possibly hole 2 tubes at once
> 3) it won't work. where does the extra tube fit around the first tubes
> valve?
> 4) it's too difficult, ever try to mount an uninflated tube?

It's been done a number of times by folks who race
or ride tandems.

The penalty is extra weight, which is no big deal
on a tandem.

p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
> D T W .../\... wrote:
>
> > 1) rotational weight
> > 2) possibly hole 2 tubes at once
> > 3) it won't work. where does the extra tube fit around the first

tubes
> > valve?
> > 4) it's too difficult, ever try to mount an uninflated tube?
> >

> It's been done a number of times by folks who race
> or ride tandems.

Where did you pick that up?

> The penalty is extra weight, which is no big deal
> on a tandem.

No more (or less) of a big deal than extra weight on any other kind of
bike.

> p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
>
>>D T W .../\... wrote:
>>

>>>1) rotational weight
>>>2) possibly hole 2 tubes at once
>>>3) it won't work. where does the extra tube fit around the first

> tubes
>
>>>valve?
>>>4) it's too difficult, ever try to mount an uninflated tube?
>>>

>>It's been done a number of times by folks who race
>>or ride tandems.

> Where did you pick that up?

From friends/relatives that ride and race (Sea
Otter winners in fact) tandems.

>>The penalty is extra weight, which is no big deal
>>on a tandem.

> No more (or less) of a big deal than extra weight on any other kind of
> bike.

Less of a big deal since a tandem is a much
heavier bike than a single bike and it has two
engines instead of one.

Have you tried it yet? Don't knock it then. And I can
install a no air tube but with a little air in the tube makes it a
little easier. But I do say the extra tube in tire and rime may make
the ride harch or rough.

In article <[email protected]>, p e t e f a
g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote:

> D T W .../\... wrote:
>

> It's been done a number of times by folks who race
> or ride tandems.
>
> The penalty is extra weight, which is no big deal
> on a tandem.

Thanks. I'll give it a try, then.

I used to lurk here often (like 5 years ago), just popped in for a look-see
today.

My teenage boys "down-hill" (the lazy creatures that they are); they often
take an old tube, cut it open (kind of like skinning a snake), cut out the
old valve, wrap the old tube around the outside of the new tube (a bit
inflated helps) then put both in the tire, put the wheel back on the bike
and finish pumping it up. The "recycled" tube is now an extra layer between
the tube holding air and the outside tire. Apparently downhillers don't
care about weight and it seems to cut down on their flats.

Just my two-cents. Thanks for listening.

"Retro Grouch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:230420051059329471%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, p e t e f a
> g e r l i n <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > D T W .../\... wrote:
> >

> > It's been done a number of times by folks who race
> > or ride tandems.
> >
> > The penalty is extra weight, which is no big deal
> > on a tandem.

> Thanks. I'll give it a try, then.

Per Retro Grouch:
>> The penalty is extra weight, which is no big deal
>> on a tandem.

>Thanks. I'll give it a try, then.

And if it doesn't work, maybe try the suggestion from another thread: shave
down an old casing by cutting off the bead, sanding the sidewall; and mount it
inside the existing casing.
--
PeteCresswell

Interesting, I'd love to see a pic of the set up. I know that the duo-
tube set up was used in hare-scrambles in the 70's(Araya and others
still make duo drilled rims), but I hadn't heard that it made it to
tandems. Before I saw you response, I shot an email over to Bill
McCready to see if he had heard of it ... nope. Your friends may be
very cutting edge.

As for tandems being heavy, I haven't been envolved with MTB tandems
since stoking for Danny Diaz on the Curtlo, but current road racing
tandems that weigh in above 29lbs are considered porky. I believe that
several companies are now producing sub 7,5 lb frames ... and I think
.... Calfee is now producing a 5.5 lb frame, that makes the 22lb San
Rensho track tandem I stoked on in the 80's look like a porker.