Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Weird weather from the EAST

Started by cfsmtb · · Last activity · 54 posts · 3,107 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
2 February 2005
Last activity
7 February 2005
Original author
cfsmtb
Posts
54
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,107
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 54
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. .. yeah different isn't it? :eek:

    Weather warnings all over the place:
    Warnings for Victoria

    Obviously the Yarra is experiencing moderate flooding, roads are closed and PT is possibly stuffed up to. Listen to the ABC for updates etc.

    Yes, we're up early because it's vitually impossible to sleep with this fcuking racket going on. Momentarily became airborne when holding down a piece of flapping shadecloth out the backyard. Sod it, it can flap around. Minor leaks, nothing too serious.

    Anyone riding in today before this [censored] clears out is a certified nutbag. I'll even design & print/pdf a crappy 'award' if it's required. 😉

    Attempting to go back to bed now. 😎

  2. cfsmtb said:

    .. yeah different isn't it? :eek:

    Weather warnings all over the place:
    Warnings for Victoria

    Obviously the Yarra is experiencing moderate flooding, roads are closed and PT is possibly stuffed up to. Listen to the ABC for updates etc.

    Yes, we're up early because it's vitually impossible to sleep with this fcuking racket going on. Momentarily became airborne when holding down a piece of flapping shadecloth out the backyard. Sod it, it can flap around. Minor leaks, nothing too serious.

    Anyone riding in today before this [censored] clears out is a certified nutbag. I'll even design & print/pdf a crappy 'award' if it's required. 😉

    Attempting to go back to bed now. 😎


    woke up to... aw [censored]. my downstairs rumpus room is flooded again!!!!!!!!!!
    4 inches deep
    luckily the windtrainer is high...

  3. cfsmtb said:

    .. yeah different isn't it? :eek:

    Weather warnings all over the place:
    Warnings for Victoria

    Obviously the Yarra is experiencing moderate flooding, roads are closed and PT is possibly stuffed up to. Listen to the ABC for updates etc.

    Yes, we're up early because it's vitually impossible to sleep with this fcuking racket going on. Momentarily became airborne when holding down a piece of flapping shadecloth out the backyard. Sod it, it can flap around. Minor leaks, nothing too serious.

    Anyone riding in today before this [censored] clears out is a certified nutbag. I'll even design & print/pdf a crappy 'award' if it's required. 😉

    Attempting to go back to bed now. 😎


    Looked on the weather radar loop just now and you're right! Huge blobs of yellow(very heavy) and a couple of spots of red (torrential) rain on the screen, moving in from the East, and then it stops dead, nothing for kilometres. It's the first time I've seen red on the radar.

    My dad's new rain gauge will be getting a workout . . .

    M "precipitated" H

  4. Yesterday was enough for me. Today I've decided is too wet for anything
    includign swimming.

    DaveB "with the ducted heatign on in summer"

  5. Not the first time I've seen red on the radar but the first time I've ever seen a front mooving in from the east (on the back of a system) - it's like someone at the beureau is playing a joke and has set the loop to reverse.

    I drove in to work today but saw my share of nutbags on bikes.

  6. DaveB said:

    Yesterday was enough for me. Today I've decided is too wet for anything
    includign swimming.

    DaveB "with the ducted heatign on in summer"

    surprisingly warm and dry (wet roads tho) this morning.

    AND REFUSE EVERYWHERE!

    i was up in one of the docklands towers last night and could see a fence getting blown off in Footeskray!

  7. flyingdutch said:

    surprisingly warm and dry (wet roads tho) this morning.

    AND REFUSE EVERYWHERE!

    i was up in one of the docklands towers last night and could see a fence getting blown off in Footeskray!

    Yeah, apparentely the water level is incrediably high down on Southbank, with entire trees floating past, ground level Clown Casino maybe close to flooding.

    Anyone confirm or deny?

  8. cfsmtb said:

    Yeah, apparentely the water level is incrediably high down on Southbank, with entire trees floating past, ground level Clown Casino maybe close to flooding.

    Anyone confirm or deny?

    I've heard similar (and I work for Gambler's Help, so we should know! 😄 )

    I'll admit I rode in - was a good ride apart from the slick roads, and a good chance to view the carnage. Limbs everywhere, a few trees down, Fitzroy Gardens is a bombsite, fences down - Traffic surprisingly quiet interestingly enough. I think people have taken the advice to 'stay out of the city' as an excuse to skip work. Dammit - how come I didn't hear that advice!

  9. "eddiec" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    cfsmtb said:

    Yeah, apparentely the water level is incrediably high down on Southbank,
    with entire trees floating past, ground level Clown Casino maybe close
    to flooding.

    Anyone confirm or deny?

    I've heard similar (and I work for Gambler's Help, so we should know!
    😄 )

    I'll admit I rode in - was a good ride apart from the slick roads, and
    a good chance to view the carnage. Limbs everywhere, a few trees down,
    Fitzroy Gardens is a bombsite, fences down - Traffic surprisingly quiet
    interestingly enough. I think people have taken the advice to 'stay out
    of the city' as an excuse to skip work. Dammit - how come I didn't hear
    that advice!

    --
    eddiec

    i rode in as well..wasnt too bad, from surrey hills to monash.
    we had no power this morning when i left, lots of branches across the roads
    etc..
    in mt waverly a large tree (2-3 feet diameter) was out of the ground, roots
    and all,and casually resting against sec lines etc🙂
    by the time i got to work the roads were pretty much dry..
    the wife has a job interview in the city today so i feel like i got off
    easy..

  10. Beautiful day in Sydney, just went up the Pacific Hwy for a ride. Westerly
    blowing but it is absolutely copybook stuff.
    Sorry for that Melbourne folk but just wait 5 minutes I guess! 🙂
    Jock

    "cfsmtb" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    |
    | . yeah different isn't it? :eek:
    |
    | Weather warnings all over the place:
    | 'Warnings for Victoria' (http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/vic/)
    |
    | Obviously the Yarra is experiencing moderate flooding, roads are closed
    | and PT is possibly stuffed up to. Listen to the 'ABC'
    | (http://abc.net.au/victoria/news/default.htm) for updates etc.
    |
    | Yes, we're up early because it's vitually impossible to sleep with this
    | fcuking racket going on. Momentarily became airborne when holding down a
    | piece of flapping shadecloth out the backyard. Sod it, it can flap
    | around. Minor leaks, nothing too serious.
    |
    | Anyone riding in today before this [censored] clears out is a certified
    | nutbag. I'll even design & print/pdf a crappy 'award' if it's required.
    | 😉
    |
    | Attempting to go back to bed now. 😎
    |
    |
    | --
    | cfsmtb
    |

  11. cfsmtb said:

    Yes, we're up early because it's vitually impossible to sleep with this
    fcuking racket going on. Momentarily became airborne when holding down a
    piece of flapping shadecloth out the backyard. Sod it, it can flap
    around. Minor leaks, nothing too serious.

    Anyone riding in today before this [censored] clears out is a certified
    nutbag. I'll even design & print/pdf a crappy 'award' if it's required.
    😉

    I slept through it all. Power was off so the only reason I woke up was
    my neighbor calling out to me coz he figured I'd slept through the alarm! 🙂
    I was already well-late so I figured I'd catch a train.. no frickin'
    trains running!
    Damn, decided to take this oppurtunity to pack the car with gear for
    work and drive in.. what a bad idea! I offered a lift to aforementioned
    neighbor and it took 1.5hrs for a normally 30min drive!!
    Had I not offered him the lift, I would've turned around when I saw the
    crazy traffic and still beat them in on the bike! It was insane!

    So apparently there was some wind or rain or something last night?

    Images of some related carnage here:
    http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=206

    hippy

  12. eddiec said:

    I'll admit I rode in - was a good ride apart from the slick roads, and
    a good chance to view the carnage. Limbs everywhere, a few trees down,
    Fitzroy Gardens is a bombsite, fences down - Traffic surprisingly quiet
    interestingly enough. I think people have taken the advice to 'stay out
    of the city' as an excuse to skip work. Dammit - how come I didn't hear
    that advice!

    Friends of the family out east, near me, apparently had a couple of
    large trees fall down. One across their pool and the other across their
    door making it a little tricky to leave the house 🙂

    Just like the backwards weather system, traffic was slowest further out,
    even with 3 inbound lanes available, and got progressively faster/less
    congested as we approached the city and single lane roads?!?!

    hippy

  13. cfsmtb said:

    Yeah, apparentely the water level is incrediably high down on Southbank, with entire trees floating past, ground level Clown Casino maybe close to flooding.

    Anyone confirm or deny?

    Well nearly. The office I'm working in is on Queensbridge Street opposite the main entrance to the Crown, and I had to take my shoes and socks and wade though water to get to the front door. (whilst wearing a suit!!). There's dedication for you.

    Walked in from St Kilda this morning (not a tram in sight). Lots of trees down, which is sad to see, especially in Albert Park, where a couple of really large ones have been damaged. Added to that all the areas which have been churned up by contractors working on the Grand Prix and the place looks a real mess. 🙁

    Apparently part 2 is coming this afternoon? Batten down the hatches people.

    Cheers,
    Craigster.

  14. Jock said:

    Beautiful day in Sydney, just went up the Pacific Hwy for a ride. Westerly
    blowing but it is absolutely copybook stuff.
    Sorry for that Melbourne folk but just wait 5 minutes I guess! 🙂

    Just a reminder..
    http://www.thehippy.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=77

    hippy ;-)

  15. After wussing out yesterday I rode in today, Fleimington to city ,via Maribynong river to Footscray rd & Docklands. Branches & leaves all over the place but no rain.
    Was delayed leaving this morning so the break in the weather @ 7:15am at my place got me out there on the MTB.
    Ankle deep (while pedeling) in 2x spots down footscray rd bike path, a bit of jet skiing along the Maribynong river path & the odd bunny hop over brocken tree limbs (almost an expert now).

    Locking up at the car park I noticed my bike smells like sewrage which can’t be good. Shoes are wet as, hopefully the workplace aircon can suck them dry for the ride later.
    I’m gun-ho for the Dirt Crits @ Westgate tonight which may need a ride report if it goes ahead. (snorkel anyone?)

  16. Marx SS said:

    I’m gun-ho for the Dirt Crits @ Westgate tonight which may need a ride
    report if it goes ahead. (snorkel anyone?)

    I think they've been cancelled. I deleted the email though so double
    check with someone first. Apparently Westgate Park is now Westgate Lake
    (their words not mine).

    Found it:

    (http://lists.topica.com/lists/bikery/read)

    <quoting bikery email>
    Karl called me to say that the FGP crits are cancelled tonight because
    the Westgate Park has decided to start a new life as the Westgate Lake.
    It apparently succumbed to peer pressure from several of the new bodies
    of water that have unexpectedly sprung up all over the city.

    Karl would like to assure you all that FGP are doing everything in their
    power to rectify the situation, and that a normal service will be
    resumed as soon as they have pursuaded the park that life as dry land is
    simply more fun and less soggy than being a lake.

    If you know anyone who you think would benifit from this information,
    please pass this email on to them.
    <endquote>

    hippy

  17. Thanks Hips, I'll check it out but that pretty understandable.

  18. On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 at 19:11 GMT, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone riding in today before this [censored] clears out is a certified
    nutbag. I'll even design & print/pdf a crappy 'award' if it's required.
    😉

    D'oh! By the time I got out of bed, it was all gone - sunny even.

    Sure sounded bad at 4:00am.

    --
    TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/

    Quoted message said:

    Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.


    You're saying cats are the opposite of bijectiveness? -- ST in RHOD

  19. On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 at 21:31 GMT, nitrous (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:


    Not the first time I've seen red on the radar but the first time I've
    ever seen a front mooving in from the east (on the back of a system) -
    it's like someone at the beureau is playing a joke and has set the loop
    to reverse.

    I thought they always did that?

    I like the ones that go clockwise circling around Melbourne CBD. Then
    you look at the synoptic chart, and see a big low hanging over the top
    of the bay. Like, right now... 986kpa.

    --
    TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/
    E = MC ** 2 +- 3db

  20. cfsmtb said:

    .. yeah different isn't it? :eek:

    Weather warnings all over the place:
    Warnings for Victoria

    Obviously the Yarra is experiencing moderate flooding, roads are closed and PT is possibly stuffed up to. Listen to the ABC for updates etc.

    Yes, we're up early because it's vitually impossible to sleep with this fcuking racket going on. Momentarily became airborne when holding down a piece of flapping shadecloth out the backyard. Sod it, it can flap around. Minor leaks, nothing too serious.

    Anyone riding in today before this [censored] clears out is a certified nutbag. I'll even design & print/pdf a crappy 'award' if it's required. 😉

    Attempting to go back to bed now. 😎

    Yay! I'm a certified nutbag! I took off about 10 mins before it all cleared very suddenly into this weird diffuse apricot coloured light before big wedges of blue sky appeared. My commute is West Footscray to east Kew and Dynon Rd was flooded so all traffic get diverted through South Melbourne. Endless entertainment dodging 3x normal density traffic bumper to bumper through that bit. Does riding through puddles up to your bottom bracket constitute cleaning your chain? Many trees down. Saw a Landcruiser ute "maintenance vehicle" with massively reinforced front bumper PUSHING a tram through the CBD with nasty noises coming from what I assume was the transfer case. The exercise seemed to take up pretty well all of my available energy so I'm now at work trying hard to not fall asleep. I hope I get to leave before the second installment appears, although really, I'm starting to not care much.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.