UK and Europe · Public discussion

Weirdest thing (to me, anyway)

Started by Aurther J · · Last activity · 10 posts · 720 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
29 March 2006
Last activity
30 March 2006
Original author
Aurther J
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
720
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I bought a bike around this time last year, used from ebay, but it looked as if
    it had literally never been ridden.

    Well, it got a puncture yesterday and when I came to remove the inner tube, I
    discovered that there was a length of a few inches along the wheel where the
    tube was triple thickness (i.e. it had been folded back on itself).

    When I got it all out it was quite clear that it was far too big a diameter for
    my 26 x 1 wheel.

    There was nothing unusual about the ride when it had been in use.

    Is this a rare thing or am I just even more ignorant about matters bike than I
    thought I was?

    Although the puncture's very minor, I do not feel inclined to use this tube
    again.

    Also, how long does it take an experienced tube swapper to perform the task?

    It took me what seemed like 20 minutes.

  2. Aurther J said:


    When I got it all out it was quite clear that it was far too big a
    diameter for my 26 x 1 wheel.

    There was nothing unusual about the ride when it had been in use.

    Is this a rare thing or am I just even more ignorant about matters
    bike than I thought I was?

    It sounds like someone who owns two kinds of bikes ended up with a puncture
    and only a 700C (road/hybrid/tourer) tube, and used it as an "emergency"
    repair.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, how long does it take an experienced tube swapper to perform
    the task?

    It took me what seemed like 20 minutes.

    TBH (unless you work in a bike shop or are a race mechanic etc) thats
    probably the usual time for most people. I may have got it down to 10-15
    mins on one occasion but that was because it was in the freezing cold on NYE
    and I wanted to be somewhere else apart from in an empty industrial estate
    car park (arrived at final destination in time for the party 😉

    Alex
    --
    Mr R@T / General Lighting
    Ipswich, Suffolk, Untied Kingdom
    http://www.partyvibe.com

  3. Aurther J said:

    I bought a bike around this time last year, used from ebay, but it looked as if
    it had literally never been ridden.

    Well, it got a puncture yesterday and when I came to remove the inner tube, I
    discovered that there was a length of a few inches along the wheel where the
    tube was triple thickness (i.e. it had been folded back on itself).

    When I got it all out it was quite clear that it was far too big a diameter for
    my 26 x 1 wheel.

    There was nothing unusual about the ride when it had been in use.

    Is this a rare thing or am I just even more ignorant about matters bike than I
    thought I was?

    Although the puncture's very minor, I do not feel inclined to use this tube
    again.

    Also, how long does it take an experienced tube swapper to perform the task?

    It took me what seemed like 20 minutes.

    Ah - the "Z" fold. A standard bodge if you can't find a 26" tube, and
    it works OK.

  4. in message <[email hidden]>, Aurther J

    (') said:

    I bought a bike around this time last year, used from ebay, but it
    looked as if it had literally never been ridden.

    Well, it got a puncture yesterday and when I came to remove the inner
    tube, I discovered that there was a length of a few inches along the
    wheel where the tube was triple thickness (i.e. it had been folded back
    on itself).

    When I got it all out it was quite clear that it was far too big a
    diameter for my 26 x 1 wheel.

    There was nothing unusual about the ride when it had been in use.

    Is this a rare thing or am I just even more ignorant about matters bike
    than I thought I was?

    It's a rare thing.

    Quoted message said:

    Although the puncture's very minor, I do not feel inclined to use this
    tube again.

    I wouldn't.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, how long does it take an experienced tube swapper to perform the
    task?

    It took me what seemed like 20 minutes.

    It's always a nuisance. I always carry a spare tube because patching a
    puncture at the roadside in the rain is about as miserable as it gets.
    You should, with practice, be able to get the old tube out, check the
    inside of the tyre for thorns, etc, and get a new one in and pumped in
    under ten minutes. Then you can do the patching in the warm and dry.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're
    ;; doing it for money, stop now.
    ;; Rainer Deyke

  5. "Aurther J" wrote in message >

    Quoted message said:

    Well, it got a puncture yesterday and when I came to remove the inner


    tube, I

    Quoted message said:

    discovered that there was a length of a few inches along the wheel where


    the

    Quoted message said:

    tube was triple thickness (i.e. it had been folded back on itself).

    When I got it all out it was quite clear that it was far too big a


    diameter for

    Quoted message said:

    my 26 x 1 wheel.

    There was nothing unusual about the ride when it had been in use.

    Is this a rare thing or am I just even more ignorant about matters bike


    than I

    Quoted message said:

    thought I was?

    Although the puncture's very minor, I do not feel inclined to use this


    tube

    Quoted message said:

    again.

    Also, how long does it take an experienced tube swapper to perform the


    task?

    Quoted message said:


    It took me what seemed like 20 minutes.

    Not unusual when the bike has been ridden with a flat tyre, friction makes
    it creep round but it is anchored by the valve, so slack accumulates, but
    the rest stretches.
    The tube size may still be readable. I would not be surprised if it were the
    right size. This sort of treatment does distort the tube.
    As long as the tube holds air it does not seem to matter whether it is a
    snug fit, although overstretching a too small tube will make puncturing more
    likely. Any chafing as a result of this treatment is of course a problem. I
    would reuse it, if there is no damage.
    I have not timed myself, but if all is otherwise equal, I expect a couple of
    minutes would do it.
    Mike Sales.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, Simon

    Brooke said:

    I always carry a spare tube because patching a puncture at the
    roadside in the rain is about as miserable as it gets.

    See earlier posts - many moons ago - don't fix punctures just replace
    the tube.

    Quoted message said:

    You should, with practice, be able to get the old tube out, check
    the inside of the tyre for thorns, etc, and get a new one in and
    pumped in under ten minutes.

    With a compressor handy it takes about 3 minuets which is about the
    time that joe public will happily wait. Charge for supplying and
    fitting a new tube is £4-00.

    Stretched inner tubes normally occur when the tube is run seriously
    under inflated and seems to happen even more often if the inside of
    the tyre is wet. If you want to economise take the stretched tube
    out and leave it aside for a day or two when you will normally find
    that it has shrunk back to it's original size.

    hth

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton
    on the Bicycle Island
    In the Global Village
    http://www.millport.net

  7. "Aurther J" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I bought a bike around this time last year, used from ebay, but it looked
    as if
    it had literally never been ridden.

    Well, it got a puncture yesterday and when I came to remove the inner
    tube, I
    discovered that there was a length of a few inches along the wheel where
    the
    tube was triple thickness (i.e. it had been folded back on itself).

    When I got it all out it was quite clear that it was far too big a
    diameter for
    my 26 x 1 wheel.

    There was nothing unusual about the ride when it had been in use.

    Is this a rare thing or am I just even more ignorant about matters bike
    than I
    thought I was?

    very odd.

    Quoted message said:


    Although the puncture's very minor, I do not feel inclined to use this
    tube
    again.

    yep, buy the right size and put that in.

    Quoted message said:


    Also, how long does it take an experienced tube swapper to perform the
    task?

    Quoted message said:

    It took me what seemed like 20 minutes.

    If it's just swapping tubes, without fixing the puncture, then five minutes
    is more than adequate, with two or three with experience.

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Well, it got a puncture yesterday and when I came to remove the inner
    tube, I
    discovered that there was a length of a few inches along the wheel where
    the
    tube was triple thickness (i.e. it had been folded back on itself).

    Not unusual when the bike has been ridden with a flat tyre, friction makes
    it creep round but it is anchored by the valve, so slack accumulates, but
    the rest stretches.

    Even pushing the bike for any distance with the tyre completely flat can
    cause it

  9. Sandy Morton said:

    With a compressor handy it takes about 3 minuets which is about the
    time that joe public will happily wait.

    So the actual time to replace depends on the composer chosen? (I'm always making
    that typo :-) )

    Quoted message said:

    Stretched inner tubes normally occur when the tube is run seriously
    under inflated

    Who said anything about stretching?

    The tyre is clearly marked as a '700'.

  10. (Aurthur J) said:

    The tyre is clearly marked as a '700'.

    Sorry, 'tube', tyre is marked '26'

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.