Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

weld a cracked frame? dangerous? salvage?

Started by Bvm · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,032 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
18 October 2003
Last activity
23 October 2003
Original author
Bvm
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,032
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I cracked a Waterford X-11 that had only about 10,000 - 15,000 miles over 2.5 years. It cracked at
    the top edge of the lug above the BB and broke all the way through. It looks like it could just be
    arc welded and the frame could still be used as a backup. But maybe the metal is too stressed out
    already. I am over 200 pounds, am a former BMXer, and have cracked frames before. I got the frameset
    on sale. I'm not that inclined to claim a warranty, because I crack frames maybe every 2-3 years.

    Any suggestions on what to do with it?

  2. claim a warranty. 15k miles is nothing for a waterford.

    do /not/ tig that crack. get the lug & tube replaced properly.

    this is what warranty's are for!

    BVM said:

    I cracked a Waterford X-11 that had only about 10,000 - 15,000 miles over 2.5 years. It cracked at
    the top edge of the lug above the BB and broke all the way through. It looks like it could just be
    arc welded and the frame could still be used as a backup. But maybe the metal is too stressed out
    already. I am over 200 pounds, am a former BMXer, and have cracked frames before. I got the
    frameset on sale. I'm not that inclined to claim a warranty, because I crack frames maybe every
    2-3 years.

    Any suggestions on what to do with it?

  3. BVM said:

    I cracked a Waterford X-11 that had only about 10,000 - 15,000 miles over 2.5 years. It cracked at
    the top edge of the lug above the BB and broke all the way through. It looks like it could just be
    arc welded and the frame could still be used as a backup. But maybe the metal is too stressed out
    already. I am over 200 pounds, am a former BMXer, and have cracked frames before. I got the
    frameset on sale. I'm not that inclined to claim a warranty, because I crack frames maybe every
    2-3 years.

    I wouldn't try to arc weld this. I've tried that sort of repair in the past and it doesn't last. It
    might be possible to braze an external sleeve around the tube and lug, I suppose.

    If it was my frame, I'd contact Waterford. They could replace the seat tube entirely and repaint the
    frame; it'd be good as new then. Waterfords are silver brazed and this sort of repair is very
    feasible. I dunno what they'd charge you for it, but it's worth getting an estimate.

  4. In article said:

    I cracked a Waterford X-11 that had only about 10,000 - 15,000 miles over 2.5 years. It cracked at
    the top edge of the lug above the BB and broke all the way through. It looks like it could just be
    arc welded and the frame could still be used as a backup. But maybe the metal is too stressed out
    already. I am over 200 pounds, am a former BMXer, and have cracked frames before. I got the
    frameset on sale. I'm not that inclined to claim a warranty, because I crack frames maybe every
    2-3 years.

    Any suggestions on what to do with it?

    I would still try a warranty claim unless you really think you abused it. Just being 200 pounds is
    not enough. The repair you propose is unlikely to result in a bike you could still ride, given that
    it blew up under you already.

    --Paul

  5. Quoted message said:

    I cracked a Waterford X-11 that had only about 10,000 - 15,000 miles over 2.5 years. It cracked at
    the top edge of the lug above the BB and broke all the way through. It looks like it could just be
    arc welded and the frame could still be used as a backup. But maybe the metal is too stressed out
    already. I am over 200 pounds, am a former BMXer, and have cracked frames before. I got the
    frameset on sale. I'm not that inclined to claim a warranty, because I crack frames maybe every
    2-3 years.

    Any suggestions on what to do with it?

    #1: Even if it's not covered by Waterford's warranty, they may offer a
    reduced-price repair. I would not recommend any sort of home-brew repair job, and am also curious
    why you wouldn't be inclined to claim a warranty, unless there was some obvious damage due to a
    crash. Neither the time frame nor mileage given sound like something you should expect from a
    quality frameset, regardless of material (with the possible exception of some of the new
    stupid-light frames being built with one-year warranties).

    #2: You're in danger of being banned from newsgroups; owners of steel
    frames aren't allowed to mention that they failed. Such liberties are allowed only for those owners
    of carbon & aluminum frames. Ti frames owners tread a fine line in such matters. :>😉

    For what it's worth, I went to Waterford's website (www.Waterfordbikes.com) and couldn't find any
    info on warranty. It was probably right under my nose...

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

  6. From the website:

    Waterford Forever Frameset Warranty Waterford Precision Cycles, Inc. ("Waterford"😉 warrants against
    all defects in material or workmanship for Waterford Framesets sold by Waterford or through its
    authorized dealers without a time limit. This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, normal
    maintenance items or any damage, failure or loss caused by:

    1. Accident, misuse, neglect, abuse or improper maintenance.

    2. Use of the product for stunt riding, ramp jumping, acrobatics, competition or similar activities.

    3. Structural modifications made by anyone other than Waterford Precision Cycles.

    4. Failure to follow instructions or warnings in the owner's manual.

    This Warranty is applicable to the original purchaser of the frameset only.

    This Warranty does not cover separately sold products.

    Waterford will, at its option, repair or replace a defective product. Dealer labor charges are not
    covered by this warranty.

    Waterford is not liable for incidental or consequential damages. Repair or replacement of defective
    products is the sole remedy under this warranty.

    If you elect to repair a damaged or defective Waterford product through a source other than
    Waterford then Waterford will not be liable for the defect(s) or damage caused by such repairs.

    ================

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I cracked a Waterford X-11 that had only about 10,000 - 15,000 miles over 2.5 years. It cracked
    at the top edge of the lug above the BB and broke all the way through. It looks like it could
    just be arc welded and the frame could still be used as a backup. But maybe the metal is too
    stressed out already. I am over 200 pounds, am a former BMXer, and have cracked frames before. I
    got the frameset on sale. I'm not that inclined to claim a warranty, because I crack frames
    maybe every 2-3 years.

    Any suggestions on what to do with it?

    #1: Even if it's not covered by Waterford's warranty, they may offer a
    reduced-price repair. I would not recommend any sort of home-brew repair job, and am also curious
    why you wouldn't be inclined to claim a warranty, unless there was some obvious damage due to a
    crash. Neither the time


    frame

    Quoted message said:

    nor mileage given sound like something you should expect from a quality frameset, regardless of
    material (with the possible exception of some of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    new stupid-light frames being built with one-year warranties).

    #2: You're in danger of being banned from newsgroups; owners of steel
    frames aren't allowed to mention that they failed. Such liberties are allowed only for those
    owners of carbon & aluminum frames. Ti frames


    owners

    Quoted message said:

    tread a fine line in such matters. :>😉

    For what it's worth, I went to Waterford's website


    (www.Waterfordbikes.com)

    Quoted message said:

    and couldn't find any info on warranty. It was probably right under my nose...

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

  7. Got it. Didn't think that it would be in the "owners manual" section, but that kinda makes sense.
    Still, if you're going to have a decent warranty (which they do), why not make it more obvious? It
    is, after all, a selling point.

    As for the original poster, I'm still not sure why he wouldn't try to have it covered under
    warranty. Of course, there is the infamous list of exclusions in section #2, including any use in
    "competition." I haven't looked closely; could be my beloved TREKs have the same thing.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com

    "frank121" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:p5Akb.3322$B_2.374@okepread02...

    Quoted message said:

    From the website:

    Waterford Forever Frameset Warranty Waterford Precision Cycles, Inc. ("Waterford"😉 warrants
    against all


    defects

    Quoted message said:

    in material or workmanship for Waterford Framesets sold by Waterford or through its authorized
    dealers without a time limit. This warranty does


    not

    Quoted message said:

    cover normal wear and tear, normal maintenance items or any damage,


    failure

    Quoted message said:

    or loss caused by:

    1. Accident, misuse, neglect, abuse or improper maintenance.

    2. Use of the product for stunt riding, ramp jumping, acrobatics, competition or similar
    activities.

    3. Structural modifications made by anyone other than Waterford Precision Cycles.

    4. Failure to follow instructions or warnings in the owner's manual.

    This Warranty is applicable to the original purchaser of the frameset


    only.

    Quoted message said:


    This Warranty does not cover separately sold products.

    Waterford will, at its option, repair or replace a defective product.


    Dealer

    Quoted message said:

    labor charges are not covered by this warranty.

    Waterford is not liable for incidental or consequential damages. Repair or replacement of
    defective products is the sole remedy under this warranty.

    If you elect to repair a damaged or defective Waterford product through a source other than
    Waterford then Waterford will not be liable for the defect(s) or damage caused by such repairs.

    ================

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I cracked a Waterford X-11 that had only about 10,000 - 15,000 miles over 2.5 years. It
    cracked at the top edge of the lug above the BB and broke all the way through. It looks like
    it could just be arc welded and the frame could still be used as a backup. But maybe the metal
    is too stressed out already. I am over 200 pounds, am a former BMXer, and have cracked frames
    before. I got the frameset on sale. I'm not that inclined to claim a warranty, because I crack
    frames maybe every 2-3 years.

    Any suggestions on what to do with it?

    #1: Even if it's not covered by Waterford's warranty, they may offer a
    reduced-price repair. I would not recommend any sort of home-brew


    repair

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    job, and am also curious why you wouldn't be inclined to claim a


    warranty,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    unless there was some obvious damage due to a crash. Neither the time


    frame

    Quoted message said:

    nor mileage given sound like something you should expect from a quality frameset, regardless of
    material (with the possible exception of some of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    new stupid-light frames being built with one-year warranties).

    #2: You're in danger of being banned from newsgroups; owners of steel
    frames aren't allowed to mention that they failed. Such liberties are allowed only for those
    owners of carbon & aluminum frames. Ti frames


    owners

    Quoted message said:

    tread a fine line in such matters. :>😉

    For what it's worth, I went to Waterford's website


    (www.Waterfordbikes.com)

    Quoted message said:

    and couldn't find any info on warranty. It was probably right under my nose...

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com


  8. FYI, it is covered under warranty. I will report the outcome to the ng.

  9. I'll post Waterford's response to my frame failure.

    frank121 said:

    From the website:

    Waterford Forever Frameset Warranty Waterford Precision Cycles, Inc. ("Waterford"😉 warrants against
    all defects in material or workmanship for Waterford Framesets sold by Waterford or through its
    authorized dealers without a time limit. This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, normal
    maintenance items or any damage, failure or loss caused by:

    1. Accident, misuse, neglect, abuse or improper maintenance.

    2. Use of the product for stunt riding, ramp jumping, acrobatics, competition or similar
    activities.

    3. Structural modifications made by anyone other than Waterford Precision Cycles.

    4. Failure to follow instructions or warnings in the owner's manual.

    This Warranty is applicable to the original purchaser of the frameset only.

    This Warranty does not cover separately sold products.

    Waterford will, at its option, repair or replace a defective product. Dealer labor charges are not
    covered by this warranty.

    Waterford is not liable for incidental or consequential damages. Repair or replacement of defective
    products is the sole remedy under this warranty.

    If you elect to repair a damaged or defective Waterford product through a source other than
    Waterford then Waterford will not be liable for the defect(s) or damage caused by such repairs.

    ================

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I cracked a Waterford X-11 that had only about 10,000 - 15,000 miles over 2.5 years. It cracked
    at the top edge of the lug above the BB and broke all the way through. It looks like it could
    just be arc welded and the frame could still be used as a backup. But maybe the metal is too
    stressed out already. I am over 200 pounds, am a former BMXer, and have cracked frames before.
    I got the frameset on sale. I'm not that inclined to claim a warranty, because I crack frames
    maybe every 2-3 years.

    Any suggestions on what to do with it?

    #1: Even if it's not covered by Waterford's warranty, they may offer a
    reduced-price repair. I would not recommend any sort of home-brew repair job, and am also curious
    why you wouldn't be inclined to claim a warranty, unless there was some obvious damage due to a
    crash. Neither the time


    frame

    Quoted message said:

    nor mileage given sound like something you should expect from a quality frameset, regardless of
    material (with the possible exception of some of


    the

    Quoted message said:

    new stupid-light frames being built with one-year warranties).

    #2: You're in danger of being banned from newsgroups; owners of steel
    frames aren't allowed to mention that they failed. Such liberties are allowed only for those
    owners of carbon & aluminum frames. Ti frames


    owners

    Quoted message said:

    tread a fine line in such matters. :>😉

    For what it's worth, I went to Waterford's website


    (www.Waterfordbikes.com)

    Quoted message said:

    and couldn't find any info on warranty. It was probably right under my nose...

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles chainreactionbicycles.comchainreactionbicycles.com


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.