Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Weld on Mavic Open Pro Rim - Will it Hold?

Started by Aman · · Last activity · 13 posts · 835 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 May 2006
Last activity
21 May 2006
Original author
Aman
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
835
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I just got a new wheel-set for light touring. It consists
    of Mavic Open pro rims, 36 spokes, Ultegra Hubs. Upon inspecting
    the rims I notice that the rear rim does not have a nice smoothed
    out, and filled in seem, like the front rim does. It has a small
    shallow crevice where the two sides of the rim meet. This is
    only in the center where the spokes seat. It looks OK on the
    side walls of the rim and the two sides of the rim seem to
    be matched up well. Does this Matter?

    Are there pins holding the two sides of the rim together
    in addition to the weld?

    Thanks in Advance, Alex

  2. Aman said:

    I just got a new wheel-set for light touring. It consists
    of Mavic Open pro rims, 36 spokes, Ultegra Hubs. Upon inspecting
    the rims I notice that the rear rim does not have a nice smoothed
    out, and filled in seem, like the front rim does. It has a small
    shallow crevice where the two sides of the rim meet. This is
    only in the center where the spokes seat. It looks OK on the
    side walls of the rim and the two sides of the rim seem to
    be matched up well. Does this Matter?

    Are there pins holding the two sides of the rim together
    in addition to the weld?

    Don't worry. The force of the 36 spokes is going to hold the rim
    together.

    Art Harris

  3. Art Harris said:

    Don't worry. The force of the 36 spokes is going to hold the rim
    together

    While this is probably true, I see no reason to put up w/ [censored]
    workmanship like this. It's possible that this discontinuity will wear
    your brake pads faster. It's also possible that the rim isn't true or
    will become untrue at the weld due poor weld quality. These are
    supposedly top of the line rims. Why take any chance if you can return
    them for free. Don't they have inspectors? This is something very easy
    to spot if one only looked. Mavic should be ashamed. The only reason I
    wouldn't return this rim/ wheel, is if I had no way to get along w/o
    it, while being replaced.

    Good luck, John
    ..

  4. Aman said:

    Hello,

    I just got a new wheel-set for light touring. It consists
    of Mavic Open pro rims, 36 spokes, Ultegra Hubs. Upon inspecting
    the rims I notice that the rear rim does not have a nice smoothed
    out, and filled in seem, like the front rim does. It has a small
    shallow crevice where the two sides of the rim meet. This is
    only in the center where the spokes seat. It looks OK on the
    side walls of the rim and the two sides of the rim seem to
    be matched up well. Does this Matter?

    Are there pins holding the two sides of the rim together
    in addition to the weld?

    Thanks in Advance, Alex


    I have a bunch of Mavic Open Pro rims, and all the ones I inspected just
    now have the weld carefully covered by some of the labeling, opposite
    the hole for the valve stem. I can see the weld on the side of the
    rims, down to the braking surface, but it doesn't seem very rough or as
    if there's a deep indentation on the rim surface. Is the weld on your
    rim under the label, too? Did you remove the label to examine it more
    closely?

    If the two rims are different to your eye and touch, I'd go back to the
    bike shop and ask them to look it over. It is possible that a bad weld
    made it past the inspection process.

  5. The spot of the crevice is actually inside the rim, the part
    that gets a rim strip put over it. The outside looks fine,
    even underneath the sticker. The braking surface is fine
    also. The reason that I am concerned is that I have seen rims
    come ajar at the seem. It does seem like this should have
    been noticed in quality control, but once a rim strip is on
    this will be unseen. If it is only cosmetic I'll keep it,
    but if their is any chance of failure from this I'll
    exchange it. I hope this makes it clearer, and if any one
    has heard of these rims failing like this, I'd like to hear
    about it; and/or any other educated opinions are
    appreciated. Thanks Again, Alex

    Colin Campbell said:
    Aman said:

    Hello,

    I just got a new wheel-set for light touring. It consists
    of Mavic Open pro rims, 36 spokes, Ultegra Hubs. Upon inspecting
    the rims I notice that the rear rim does not have a nice smoothed
    out, and filled in seem, like the front rim does. It has a small
    shallow crevice where the two sides of the rim meet. This is
    only in the center where the spokes seat. It looks OK on the
    side walls of the rim and the two sides of the rim seem to
    be matched up well. Does this Matter?

    Are there pins holding the two sides of the rim together
    in addition to the weld?

    Thanks in Advance, Alex


    I have a bunch of Mavic Open Pro rims, and all the ones I inspected just
    now have the weld carefully covered by some of the labeling, opposite
    the hole for the valve stem. I can see the weld on the side of the
    rims, down to the braking surface, but it doesn't seem very rough or as
    if there's a deep indentation on the rim surface. Is the weld on your
    rim under the label, too? Did you remove the label to examine it more
    closely?

    If the two rims are different to your eye and touch, I'd go back to the
    bike shop and ask them to look it over. It is possible that a bad weld
    made it past the inspection process.

  6. john said:
    Art Harris said:

    Don't worry. The force of the 36 spokes is going to hold the rim
    together

    While this is probably true, I see no reason to put up w/ [censored]
    workmanship like this. It's possible that this discontinuity will wear
    your brake pads faster. It's also possible that the rim isn't true or
    will become untrue at the weld due poor weld quality. These are
    supposedly top of the line rims. Why take any chance if you can return
    them for free. Don't they have inspectors? This is something very easy
    to spot if one only looked. Mavic should be ashamed. The only reason I
    wouldn't return this rim/ wheel, is if I had no way to get along w/o
    it, while being replaced.

    Re-read the OP:
    "It has a small shallow crevice where the two sides of the rim meet. This is
    only in the center where the spokes seat."

    Has nothing to do with the brakes.

    --
    Phil

  7. Aman said:

    Hello,

    I just got a new wheel-set for light touring. It consists
    of Mavic Open pro rims, 36 spokes, Ultegra Hubs. Upon inspecting
    the rims I notice that the rear rim does not have a nice smoothed
    out, and filled in seem, like the front rim does. It has a small
    shallow crevice where the two sides of the rim meet. This is
    only in the center where the spokes seat. It looks OK on the
    side walls of the rim and the two sides of the rim seem to
    be matched up well. Does this Matter?

    Are there pins holding the two sides of the rim together
    in addition to the weld?

    Thanks in Advance, Alex

    The tension holds the rim together mostly but yes, there is a aluminum
    thingy in the rim to hold it together for welding(a completely
    unnecessary procedure). Don't worry about it.

  8. john said:
    Art Harris said:

    Don't worry. The force of the 36 spokes is going to hold the rim
    together

    While this is probably true, I see no reason to put up w/ [censored]
    workmanship like this. It's possible that this discontinuity will wear
    your brake pads faster. It's also possible that the rim isn't true or
    will become untrue at the weld due poor weld quality. These are
    supposedly top of the line rims. Why take any chance if you can return
    them for free. Don't they have inspectors? This is something very easy
    to spot if one only looked. Mavic should be ashamed. The only reason I
    wouldn't return this rim/ wheel, is if I had no way to get along w/o
    it, while being replaced.

    Good luck, John

    The sidewalls are machined so that dimple(in lots of OpenPros, BTW)
    will not be around the brake pad. As for 'top of the line', I guess but
    mavic isn't my first choice for any rim/wheel.

    It's all about complete wheels for mavic and with their rear hubs, they
    should be ashamed, but it's hard to be when they are rolling around in
    a room full of 'Francs'.

    Quoted message said:

    .

  9. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote (in part):

    Quoted message said:

    As for 'top of the line', I guess but
    mavic isn't my first choice for any rim/wheel.

    I am curious (and you have probably already expressed yourself on this
    matter) what your specific issues are with Mavic rims. There are
    aesthetic issues (the OP click) but I have never heard anything really
    negative about OP's except, ahem, "machined brake track syndrome".
    Which supposedly makes the rim last about 200 miles (if you are lucky).

    I know the older rims (MA-3 (MA-2?)), etc, had some significant issues
    but the CXP-30, CXP-33, and OP have all been good to me and/or
    relatives.

    Thanks (in advance) for enlightening me -

    D'ohBoy

    P.S.: Did you find your Diadora Ergos from either of the sites I
    posted to rbm for you?

  10. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote (in part):

    Quoted message said:

    As for 'top of the line', I guess but
    mavic isn't my first choice for any rim/wheel.

    I am curious (and you have probably already expressed yourself on this
    matter) what your specific issues are with Mavic rims. There are
    aesthetic issues (the OP click) but I have never heard anything really
    negative about OP's except, ahem, "machined brake track syndrome".
    Which supposedly makes the rim last about 200 miles (if you are lucky).

    I know the older rims (MA-3 (MA-2?)), etc, had some significant issues
    but the CXP-30, CXP-33, and OP have all been good to me and/or
    relatives.

    Thanks (in advance) for enlightening me -

    D'ohBoy

    P.S.: Did you find your Diadora Ergos from either of the sites I
    posted to rbm for you?

  11. Phil said:

    Re-read the OP:
    "It has a small shallow crevice where the two sides of the rim meet. This is
    only in the center where the spokes seat."

    Quoted message said:

    Has nothing to do with the brakes.

    Yeah, you're right. I missed that part, John

  12. Peter said:

    It's all about complete wheels for mavic and with their rear hubs, they
    should be ashamed, but it's hard to be when they are rolling around in
    a room full of 'Francs'.

    Yes I agree. That was the basis of my anger, even though, I now realize
    that, as others have pointed out, that it is inconsequential. It gets
    into; is a flaw, a flaw, if it does not impact the parts fitness for
    service?

    Regards, John

  13. D'ohBoy said:

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote (in part):

    Quoted message said:

    As for 'top of the line', I guess but
    mavic isn't my first choice for any rim/wheel.

    I am curious (and you have probably already expressed yourself on this
    matter) what your specific issues are with Mavic rims. There are
    aesthetic issues (the OP click) but I have never heard anything really
    negative about OP's except, ahem, "machined brake track syndrome".
    Which supposedly makes the rim last about 200 miles (if you are lucky).

    I know the older rims (MA-3 (MA-2?)), etc, had some significant issues
    but the CXP-30, CXP-33, and OP have all been good to me and/or
    relatives.

    Thanks (in advance) for enlightening me -

    D'ohBoy

    Open Pro rims seem to be noisy. Often customers will come in with
    creaking/clicking and it is either nipple eyelet noise or the wedge at
    the seam has come loose. They build ok and seem to be reliable but the
    noise is unsat for a $60 rim. Like CXP-33 and even the new OpenSport.

    Quoted message said:

    P.S.: Did you find your Diadora Ergos from either of the sites I
    posted to rbm for you?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.