UK and Europe · Public discussion

Well done Waitrose

Started by permajeo · · Last activity · 36 posts · 1,467 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
3 January 2007
Last activity
16 January 2007
Original author
permajeo
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,467
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–36 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. squeaker said:
    naked_draughtsman said:

    Our Tesco was recently upgraded to a Tesco Extra and they doubled the
    number of bike stands. They're under the vast new canopy at the front
    and you can see them from the checkouts.
    They're not quite Sheffield stands and aren't as good but they're still
    fully used most of the day. Tesco must have got one of their bulk
    purchasing deals on that type of stand because they seem to be used at
    other new stores too
    (http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/44/article8.html)
    I just wish they'd made a decent way for cyclists to get to the stands!

    peter

    Looks like the're being used the wrong way round - IMHO they'd work
    better with the high bit next to the seat post / rear triangle?

    I saw some nice bike stands at 3M in Bracknell. Bike easily secured to
    the post, saddle clips over a small hook and there is even a little hat
    to keep it dry.

    Don't know who makes them but the looked good and appeared functional
    (and well used)

  2. Paul Boyd said:

    Certainly in Weston-super-Mare, both Morrisons' and Asda's cycle pathing
    is woefully inadequate (can't comment on Tescos because I've never
    noticed - if I go there I'm walking past anyway!)

    Tesco WSM Centre has too few racks, mounted too close to the wall,
    sometimes hit by trollies going to their storage by it, and it's
    not signposted from the road entrances. An anti-cycling place IMO
    and, anyway, a horrible shop with advert TVs above the aisles.

    There are greengrocers, butchers, baker, fishmonger around Silica
    instead and there's lots of cycle parking there.

    I've not noticed any racks at all Tesco North Worle - was it one of
    the last ones built before planning rules required cycle parking?

    Sainsbury Worle Queensway has two banks of racks under cover, and
    there's often an empty trolley shelter with a bar that can be used.
    I think they were added when the store was modified a few years ago.

    Somerfield Worle has one three-bike stand by the front door. As I
    understand it, they installed it voluntarily - not by planning rules.

    Coop Worle has small council bike parks opposite and by the Library.

    Coop WSM Centre has no parking near it, but plenty of pig-pen railings
    with enough room on the kerb side for my bike.

    Parking for the monthly fresh market is easiest, with stands by two
    edges of the Italian Gardens. The farm shop at Kewstoke has easy
    parking against a railing fence and you can always see your bike.

    Any more?

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    At Morrisons, again the number of stands is woefully inadequate,
    although they are at least out of the way of the trolleys, more or less.

    There seem to be at least two banks but only one is signposted.

    The next local Cycle Forum is 7pm Wed 10 Jan at the Campus Worle (behind
    Morrisons Worle).

    --
    MJR/slef

  3. On 04/01/2007 17:26, MJ Ray said,

    Quoted message said:

    Tesco WSM Centre...
    Tesco North Worle...
    Sainsbury Worle Queensway...
    Somerfield Worle...
    Coop Worle...
    Coop WSM Centre
    monthly fresh market...
    farm shop at Kewstoke...

    Any more?

    You missed out Farmfoods :-) According to the planning application,
    there are supposed to be some stands a little distance away from the
    entrance. Most people just park their bikes by the door because it's
    not obvious there's parking anywhere else. Checks out of upstairs window...

    ....no, it's too dark where the bike stands are supposed to be to see if
    they're actually there or not :-)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  4. Tony Raven said:

    That's unusual. My experience of Sainsbury's is they have nearly always
    run out of anything I might want.

    When I used to do most of the shopping I stopped using Sainsbury's
    because they stopped carrying so many of the products that I bought
    regularly, replacing them with Sainsbury's own brand versions.

    That, and there's a good reason why DW and I describe broken biscuits,
    dented tins and the like as being "Sainsburyed".

    --
    Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
    Reply address is valid, but that on my website is checked more often
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  5. On 04/01/2007 19:24, Danny Colyer said,

    Quoted message said:

    That, and there's a good reason why DW and I describe broken biscuits,
    dented tins and the like as being "Sainsburyed".

    You should try Asda down here for dented tins! I don't know who's
    responsible for denting them, but they don't do a good job - sometimes
    there's one still undented :-)

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  6. "POHB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    permajeo said:

    Interesting response so far but I think I'll call in tomorrow morning
    and ask just how it works and maybe post a few pics. Hopefully it's not
    too good to be true.

    Ealing Waitrose does it, but you need one of their store cards

    Where is the Waitrose in Ealing?

    Alan

  7. "Paul Boyd" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Whoops

    Quoted message said:

    Certainly in Weston-super-Mare, both Morrisons' and Asda's cycle pathing

    "pathing"???? I obviously meant "parking"!

    We will forgive you. this time!

    Alan

  8. Paul Boyd said:

    You should try Asda down here for dented tins! I don't know who's
    responsible for denting them, but they don't do a good job - sometimes
    there's one still undented :-)

    It's not a problem at our local Asda. Sainsbury's seem to be consistent
    at every branch we visit, though.

    --
    Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
    Reply address is valid, but that on my website is checked more often
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  9. On 04/01/2007 21:05, Danny Colyer said,

    Quoted message said:

    It's not a problem at our local Asda.

    Longwell Green? The cream counter there is something I miss!

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  10. Paul Boyd said:

    Longwell Green? The cream counter there is something I miss!

    Yup. The frog and pig shaped cream cakes that DW bought for me to take
    to work on my birthday a couple of years ago went down very well.

    --
    Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
    Reply address is valid, but that on my website is checked more often
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  11. "naked_draughtsman" <[email hidden]> of

    urlhttp://groups.google.com/url said:

    Our Tesco was recently upgraded to a Tesco Extra and they doubled the
    number of bike stands. They're under the vast new canopy at the front
    and you can see them from the checkouts.
    They're not quite Sheffield stands and aren't as good but they're still
    fully used most of the day. Tesco must have got one of their bulk
    purchasing deals on that type of stand because they seem to be used at
    other new stores too
    (http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/44/article8.html)

    The new Tesco store (open just over a year) near me has these angled stands
    as does one that has been there for maybe 15 years, so I don't think it's
    just new ones.

    The stands at the older store are under an overhang and fitted a short
    distance from the adjacent wall, so they work well. At the new store the
    stands are out in the open which is not so pleasant. But what's worse is
    that the stands are jammed up against a wall so if I try to fit my drop
    frame bike adjacent to the angled tube of the stand I can't because there's
    not enough room for the front wheel. So like the cyclists in the photo I
    end up putting my bike in the other way round. I have complained about it
    (in writing), but nothing happened.
    --
    Steph Peters
    Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
    Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
    http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

  12. Alan Holmes said:


    Where is the Waitrose in Ealing?

    Close to West Ealing station on Alexandria road. It's just been
    massively increased in size and is clearly visible as the big grey
    building here:

    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=51.512862,-0.320942&spn=0.003232,0.007231&t=h&om=1

  13. Paul Boyd <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On 04/01/2007 17:26, MJ Ray said,

    Quoted message said:

    Tesco WSM Centre...
    Tesco North Worle...
    Sainsbury Worle Queensway...
    Somerfield Worle...
    Coop Worle...
    Coop WSM Centre
    monthly fresh market...
    farm shop at Kewstoke...

    Any more?

    You missed out Farmfoods :-) [...]

    Never been there and after seeing the stuff they sold in K.Lynn, I
    doubt I'll make a special trip.

    Lidl Worle has stands about as near to the door as the parking, but
    damned if I can tell how they expect cyclists to get from the road to
    the stands: 3 sides of a square through the car park?

    Any more for any more?
    --
    MJR/slef
    http://mjr.towers.org.uk/blog/2007/environment#cycling

  14. "Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "POHB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    permajeo said:

    Interesting response so far but I think I'll call in tomorrow morning
    and ask just how it works and maybe post a few pics. Hopefully it's not
    too good to be true.

    Ealing Waitrose does it, but you need one of their store cards

    Where is the Waitrose in Ealing?


    Ealing.

  15. "POHB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Alan Holmes said:


    Where is the Waitrose in Ealing?

    Close to West Ealing station on Alexandria road. It's just been
    massively increased in size and is clearly visible as the big grey
    building here:

    Thanks, I only go to that part of the world once a fortnight in the
    evenings, but I will try to make the effort to remember they are there!

    Alan

    Quoted message said:


    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&z=17&ll=51.512862,-0.320942&spn=0.003232,0.007231&t=h&om=1

  16. "ian henden" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Alan Holmes" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "POHB" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    permajeo wrote:
    > Interesting response so far but I think I'll call in tomorrow morning
    > and ask just how it works and maybe post a few pics. Hopefully it's not
    > too good to be true.

    Ealing Waitrose does it, but you need one of their store cards

    Where is the Waitrose in Ealing?


    Ealing.

    Bearing im mind that ealing covers about 10 square miles, that is most
    helpful!

    Thanks!

    Quoted message said:


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.