Wenting!!!

Oh and by the way, you're parents don't happen to work for Volvo at
Wacol do they?

-Rasmus

Baka Dasai wrote:

> This is why I don't ride in the bike lane. They're too dangerous.

Well see, my thing is, having seen what some people are like behind the
wheel of their car, especially 17 year olds in their hotted up Lancers,
I don't feel safe riding in the middle of the road, no matter how much
of a right I have to be there. In Denmark I never really found it to be
much of an issue as legally cyclists and pedestrians have a higher
legal standing than cars, meaning that in case of an accident the car
is at first assumed guilty. It might seem harsh but it definitely means
that they are a bit more careful.
Anyways, I do still prefer not-shared paths...

-Rasmus

nebakke wrote:

<snip>
> -Rasmus, who ripped the valve out of the tube this morning as he was
> filling air in before the ride to work, and who is currently rather
> p****d off with himself over it...

I used to do that all the time, stupid pump, stupid rim tape, stupid...
okay, stupid operator. Rather than bother with new rim tape I just cut a
small eyelet out of an old tube and whacked it over the valve stem, so
there's an extra layer of rubber at the base of the valve stem. Haven't
ripped a stem off since (same pump, same rim tape, same operator).

Tam

nebakke wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> >
> > I guess it depends on where you want to get to. Do you mean northside or
> > southside? You can follow around the uni out to Indooroopilly, quick
> > duck across some roads and it's quiet out through Fig Tree Pocket etc,
> > if you meant northside, which I'm guessing by the Western Fwy comment.

> Well west-ish I guess, I live in Springfield but until I'm in better
> shape I'm driving into Jindalee or Fig Tree Pocket Rd. (depending on my
> mood that particular day) and then riding the rest of the way from
> there but even if it's a bit longer as I was saying, I was kind of
> hoping that there was a slightly more scenic route than the bike path
> along the motorway. From looking at Brisbane City Council's homepage it
> looks like the only real way to go, if I follow the riverwalk till the
> end, is along some relatively big roads from St. Lucia to
> Indooroopilly, if that right?
>
> Thanks again for the advide.
>
> -Rasmus

From Fig Tree Picket Rd, go up Jerrang St, try Railway Tce or St or
whatever it is, across the bridge, RT onto Clarence St, LT at lights
onto Lambert rd (LT onto Clarence and RT up Cecil? RT onto Central Ave
to skip the lights). Follow Lambert rd past ovals etc to roundabout at
indooroopilly rd, turn left.

You won't get to the cycle bridge from FTP but if the traffic is really
bad you can carry your bike down the pedestrian rail underpass.

From Indooroopilly rd, the quick way to the city is: straight through
the next roundabout, LT onto Hawken Dr, RT at roundabout onto Gailey Rd,
and then somewhere safe, get into the right hand lane before Glen Rd, so
you can get into the turning lane and move onto the on-road bikeway
before Toowong (I've ridden the Toowong Rds and it sucks)

The slower, scenic, safer, hillier way is: RT at the next roundabout
onto Curawa St, up past the golf course which is called "The Esplanade"
and turns into Upland Rd, turn right after the first college and do a
lap of the uni ring road; near the boat shed, rugby oval, car park, go
onto the bikeway, follow the signs to toowong via macquarie st, guyatt
park, some street starting with s, jerdanefield st etc "danger hills!"
and from there it's the same.

Tam

Nebakke said:

>Well west-ish I guess, I live in Springfield but until I'm in better
>shape I'm driving into Jindalee or Fig Tree Pocket Rd.

I live in Springfield as well... now you really don't have an excuse.

Lotte

>Oh and by the way, you're parents don't happen to work for Volvo at
>Wacol do they?

Nah...

Having said that, I think there's a lot of Danes on 'our' side of town. Apparently Camira was once the Danish capital of Brisbane. How very sad.

I see a guy riding along the Centenary Highway most mornings - looks like he exits at Progress Road. You know him??

Nebakke said:

>I was kind of hoping that there was a slightly more scenic route than the
>bike path along the motorway. From looking at Brisbane City Council's
>homepage it looks like the only real way to go, if I follow the riverwalk till
>the end, is along some relatively big roads from St. Lucia to
>Indooroopilly, if that right?

Do what I do - don't use those crappy bike paths. They're a waste of time (and tubes for that matter).

I ride from Springfield to the city as follows:

Head along the Centenary Highway until just before the big roundabout and turn right onto Kelliher Road. Follow Kellier Road to the end and turn left onto Blunder Road. Straight through the Ipswich Motorway roundabout and then 2nd exit at the next roundabout (Oxley Road). Keep following Oxley Road (which has plenty of room each side) to the Indooroopilly bike bridge. Cross it, then head up Lambert Road, take the first exit at the first roundabout then keep going along. At the next roundabout, turn left onto Indooroopilly Road and head straight through the next roundabout. Head up a small, fairly annoying little hill which brings you out at Swann Road which you turn left down onto, heading towards the roundabout which is only about 20m away... turn right at this Roundabout. This road changes name from Gailey Road to Brisbane Road, then becomes Benson Road. I usually cross over and head onto the bike path around here and follow it to the city (Coronation Drive).

It's 35km, but it's quite an easy ride (only two hills). Everyone gives me plenty of room on the Centenary Highway (it's long and relatively straight, so people do see you from a long way back) and Kelliher Road has plenty of room... It's a 60 zone and I've never had a problem.

Despite not being too keen on Springfield (read: buyer's remorse) at all, I LOVE the ride to work. It's a bazillion times better than when I lived in Logan and had to ride Logan Road (without a doubt THE biggest b!tch of a road in Brisbane).

Admittedly it does get a little dark on the way home, but I'm lit up like a christimas tree, so I'm very visible. Again, never a problem...

If you're keen to tag along one morning (or evening), let me know. My average is around the 26 - 27 mark on the way in (about 1 hr and 20 minutes) and a bit less on the way home because I'm just lazy.

Cheers,
LH

LotteBum wrote:
> Having said that, I think there's a lot of Danes on 'our' side of town.
> Apparently Camira was once the Danish capital of Brisbane. How very
> sad.

I know, I ran into a Danish girl who works for Bendigo Bank in Ipswich,
she's the business contact for some of the Account managers here. She
was telling me the same thing. She said that basically the reason why
it is Camira is that they all pretty much work for Volvo at Wacol.
Furthermore she was saying that a lot of them don't speak all that much
English and still live their lives as they did at home, Spegesild,
flæskesteg, frikadeller og snaps on Sundays, that kind of thing.
Now I'm not at all adverse to keeping in touch with one's roots,
especially not since I became a father, besides I only left Denmark
because that was my only option for being with my wife... But once
that's said, doing what they're doing is exactly the same thing a lot
of people in Denmark accuse immigrants of there...
I would love for the Danish club in Brisbane to be more active and less
pensioner like, the way it sounds like the ones in Melbourne and Sydney
are, with occasional pub-nights and that kind of thing... I firmly
believe in integration not in assimilation.
Sorry about the rant there, it's something I often think about...
Obviously ;O)

> I see a guy riding along the Centenary Highway most mornings - looks
> like he exits at Progress Road. You know him??

Nopes, he look Danish? ;O) Don't really know anyone else who rides
their bikes down here :( He's got a bit of courage to ride Centenary
Hwy in the morning I think though, I've found that just riding around
the Springfield/Camira area can get pretty hairy, too many 4WD and kids
in hotted up cars who think they own the road...

-Rasmus

***********, even completely independent of each other we still seem to
end up in the Camira area... I swear sometimes being Danish is like
being a homeing pigeon ;O)

-Rasmus

LotteBum wrote:

> Do what I do - don't use those crappy bike paths. They're a waste of
> time (and tubes for that matter).

Still not quite certain enough of myself to completely forget about
them I think, I'm still a bit like a child on the bike need someone to
hold my hand ;O). It's been a while, I'm so ridicously out of shape
that it's not even funny, and I don't mean that in the "I used to ride
250 Km a day but now I'm out of shape and struggling to do 200" I mean,
I'm completely starting from scratch again AND I'm on the wrong side of
the road and still need to get around to swapping the break cables cos
I keep nearly going head first over the steer braking with the wrong
handle ;O) It's pretty much misery right now, but I'm working on it,
and the one thing I've found previously is that having grown up on a
bike it doesn't take quite as long to get back into it again... Plus
while Brisbane is certainly hillier than Denmark at least you're not
combatting Gale force winds every day, with hills you generally get to
go down again on the other side ;O)

> I ride from Springfield to the city as follows:

Well that was actually my initial plan when I started, although you've
opened my eyes to a different route, but as I said, I need to be in
better shape before I try this, otherwise I'll be getting to work just
in time to pack up and leave again ;OP~~

> I usually cross over and head
> onto the bike path around here and follow it to the city (Coronation
> Drive).

That is the thing about the river ride, I really quite enjoy it, only
pedestrians and other bikes to worry about, nice new asphalt most of
the way and quite scenic the last couple of Kms along there is like
flying...

> Despite not being too keen on Springfield (read: buyer's remorse) at
> all, I LOVE the ride to work.

Heh, I don't mind Springfield too much it's alright, but then we also
bought 6 years ago so it's been a profitable stay, and keeping that in
mind it's a bit easier to deal with distance and all... I must admit
though, I miss Copenhagen...

> Admittedly it does get a little dark on the way home, but I'm lit up
> like a christimas tree, so I'm very visible. Again, never a problem...

Hehe, well I'm considering getting a vest and so on once I get to that
point...

> If you're keen to tag along one morning (or evening), let me know. My
> average is around the 26 - 27 mark on the way in (about 1 hr and 20
> minutes) and a bit less on the way home because I'm just lazy.

Would love to thank you, just give me a couple of weeks though, as I
said, i need a bit of a build up before I'm quite ready for that.. I
know, it's sad, but that's the way it is ;O)

-Rasmus

Cool, Thanks again Tamyka, I will explore these options too... =O)

-Rasmus

It's funny you should say that - about some Danish people living like they would in Denmark. My parents split up about 4 years ago and my dad is now married to THE most bogan Aussie woman you could possibly imagine - no bra, permed hair, smokes like a chimney etc. My mum has also met an Aussie man who - besides being a really REALLY nice guy - is SO Australian it's not funny.

I agree with you entirely about integration vs. assimilation etc. I've been to the Danish club a few times (although not in the last couple of years), and only really to buy Remoulade and Haribo lollies.. too much folk dancing and too many old farts for my liking. My other half (Aussie) is keen to go as he just LOVES Danish food, but I keep telling him "You have to be over 50 and you MUST like folk dancing!". You can always tell when he hasn't had a Danish feed for a while, because he'll say "I'd give folk dancing a try, you know!". Ugh!

How are you settling in otherwise? Watch the state of origin (football, played by neanderthal looking men, with an egg shaped ball is something I've never quite gotten used to). I listened to my Indian neighbours shouting at the TV for the entire game - was really quite amusing. "Moogalababa Minnicello!!!!".

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> I used to do that all the time, stupid pump, stupid rim tape, stupid...
> okay, stupid operator. Rather than bother with new rim tape I just cut a
> small eyelet out of an old tube and whacked it over the valve stem, so
> there's an extra layer of rubber at the base of the valve stem. Haven't
> ripped a stem off since (same pump, same rim tape, same operator).

Geez, you're full of good ideas Tamyka, advice on directions AND
repairs, is ther e anything you don't do? ;O)
Thanks for that.. I'm going to grab a new tube from Riders in my lunch
break, will try that out tonight...

-Rasmus, now with an all new smile...

>Around to swapping the break cables cos I keep nearly going head first over >the steer braking with the wrong handle ;O)

That's getting a bit technical. I brake with both hands. Always. I get told off for it, but it's so much easier, really.

>It's pretty much misery right now, but I'm working on it,
>and the one thing I've found previously is that having grown up on a
>bike it doesn't take quite as long to get back into it again... Plus
>while Brisbane is certainly hillier than Denmark at least you're not
>combatting Gale force winds every day, with hills you generally get to
>go down again on the other side ;O)

My ride to work is verrrry unhilly.

>Well that was actually my initial plan when I started, although you've
>opened my eyes to a different route, but as I said, I need to be in
>better shape before I try this, otherwise I'll be getting to work just
>in time to pack up and leave again ;OP~~

Seriously, I'm about 12kg overweight (at my height, that's a fair chunk) and I'm quite disgustingly unfit myself....

>Heh, I don't mind Springfield too much it's alright, but then we also
>bought 6 years ago so it's been a profitable stay, and keeping that in
>mind it's a bit easier to deal with distance and all... I must admit
>though, I miss Copenhagen...

I bet you do. We came from Woodridge of all places, expecting ANYTHING to be better, but we have the worst neighbours we could ever have imagined. They park on our grass (a pet hate of mine as I'm a bit of a garden freak) and are just plain rude. At least in Woodridge, our stoned neighbours were happy to have a chat and help out etc. Also, my biggest problems on the roads generally occur in Springfield. Our neighbours are only renting (typical), so we're hoping they move...

>Would love to thank you, just give me a couple of weeks though, as I
>said, i need a bit of a build up before I'm quite ready for that.. I
>know, it's sad, but that's the way it is ;O)

You said it - a couple of weeks. You're on!!

LotteBum wrote:
> my
> dad is now married to THE most bogan Aussie woman you could possibly
> imagine - no bra, permed hair, smokes like a chimney etc.

Hmm funny thing that, if you ask my wife that aroundabout describes the
average Danish woman ;O)

> I agree with you entirely about integration vs. assimilation etc. I've
> been to the Danish club a few times (although not in the last couple of
> years), and only really to buy Remoulade and Haribo lollies..

Oooh OOOOH!!! I didn't know they sold Remoulade there, I near got a
bottle confiscated by customs when I returned from a trip in February,
thank God I declared it and was able to sweet talk my way out of it,
next time he said they'll want a full declaration of how much of
anything that's in it sdo might be easier to goto the Danish club then.
And with regards to Haribo lollies, my wife finally got me to reneg on
my oath to never set foot in Aldi, the Danish ones are quite nasty...
To my enormous joy I found that they sell Haribo vingummibamser and the
big packages of assorted ones... Well the one at Forest Lake does
anyway... "Den er go'" So now all I need is some decent mayonnaise and
the local pub to start selling decent beer again and I'll be happy ;O)
Otherwise there's always Adam's of course...

>too much
> folk dancing and too many old farts for my liking.

I know, I had to fight hard not to giggle too much the first time I
spoke to Ulla Turner (the president of the club) on the phone, noone's
spoken Danish like that since the late 50ies ;O)

> My other half
> (Aussie) is keen to go as he just LOVES Danish food, but I keep telling
> him "You have to be over 50 and you MUST like folk dancing!". You can
> always tell when he hasn't had a Danish feed for a while, because he'll
> say "I'd give folk dancing a try, you know!". Ugh!

LOL, I think I've got an English Language scandinavian cookbook
somewhere that he can have, that way he doesn't have to expose you to
the folk dancing ;O)
I've found that while it's hard to find the right groceries it's not
impossible and especially now that I'm a dad I figure I should start
trying to excert some influence ;O) Besides, we've found a small danish
class being run in Brisbane and I've found that it's a good way to help
her along a bit to expose her to little everyday things, so
occasionally I whip something up, unfortunately I'm the only one in the
household who eats Spegesild and such ;O)

> How are you settling in otherwise? Watch the state of origin
> (football, played by neanderthal looking men, with an egg shaped ball
> is something I've never quite gotten used to).

Settling in quite well thank you, didn't actually watch the state of
origin, had Tickets for "Henry Rollins, Spoken Word" in the Tivoli
Theatre last night.. Besides to be honest, while I watch the state of
origin if I have nothing else on, and I try to integrate as well as
possible, I still can't really get around to Cricket or NRL... Come
July though, I'll be getting no sleep, glued to SBS from 22-4 ;O) and
the occasional AFL match doesn't bother me either hehe...
Oooh, speaking of Danish, watched the Denmark-Italy World Cup match at
"La Dolce Vita" on Park Road last year, that was GREAT fun, especially
when it looked like we were going to win ;O)

Anyways, yep, I still have a fair few more Danish influences going for
me, but I like to think that I'm taking the best from both worlds,
enjoy a good BBQ and am learning to appreciate Australian nature
although I still can't get used to all the nasties around... 2 Metres
tall and still managing to look like a ballerina everytime I get near a
spider these day ;O)

>I listened to my Indian
> neighbours shouting at the TV for the entire game - was really quite
> amusing. "Moogalababa Minnicello!!!!".

LOL, I have to admit, it does tend to get the blood boiling a bit, even
if my interest is slight ;O)

-Rasmus who just realised that he just wrote a novel here and that he
should be grabbing that new tube cos there went half the lunch break ;O)

LotteBum wrote:

> That's getting a bit technical. I brake with both hands. Always. I
> get told off for it, but it's so much easier, really.

See that's probably just a preference difference, I prefer to only use
both hands if I REALLY need to break and generally only if I need to
come to a full stop, generally back break for slowing down, especially
down hill ;O)

> Seriously, I'm about 12kg overweight (at my height, that's a fair
> chunk) and I'm quite disgustingly unfit myself....

Well that does make me feel a bit better, but I've still got a bit to
go as I said ;O)

> I bet you do. We came from Woodridge of all places, expecting ANYTHING
> to be better, but we have the worst neighbours we could ever have
> imagined. They park on our grass (a pet hate of mine as I'm a bit of a
> garden freak) and are just plain rude. At least in Woodridge, our
> stoned neighbours were happy to have a chat and help out etc.

Ya, that's kindaf what has happened to our area, my wife and her Ex
originally bought the house so they were house #3 in the street,
there's still some people left from then, so still some neighbourlyness
(or whatever ;O) but we've started getting a fair few rentals in as
well.. The house to one side of us ahs always been a rental and G*d
knows we've had some pretty nasty people in there over the last couple
of years but generally the bad ones seem to last at most 12 months if
that at all.. This time around it seems like we have a winner, quite
people and all.. WONDERFUL!!!
How long have you been at Springfield? You may just need to give it a
bit of time ;O)

>Also, my
> biggest problems on the roads generally occur in Springfield. Our

Yup, as I was saying (writing) earlier, Springfield is a bit too much
of a Family-4WD-Car neighbourhood, sometimes these people just don't
watch...

> You said it - a couple of weeks. You're on!!

Uhoh, what did I do???? ;O) I hope you've got the strength to carry me
to the top of the hill on Centenary Hwy ;O)and please tell me you know
CPR...

-Rasmus, scared ;O)

nebakke wrote:

> LotteBum wrote:

<snip>
> > You said it - a couple of weeks. You're on!!

> Uhoh, what did I do???? ;O) I hope you've got the strength to carry me
> to the top of the hill on Centenary Hwy ;O)and please tell me you know
> CPR...
>
> -Rasmus, scared ;O)

It's okay, LotteBum will wait for you after hills, won't she, Absent
Husband?

Tam

>Well that does make me feel a bit better, but I've still got a bit to
>go as I said ;O)

Alright, alright...

>How long have you been at Springfield? You may just need to give it a
>bit of time ;O)

We've been there since early February, so not quite 4 months. We're actually in Springfield Lakes (my partner, being an environmental engineer prefers to call it a sedimentation dam) and we were also only the 3rd to move in in the street (there's now 8 occupied dwellings, including ours). The three across from us are just terrible.... really quite terrible to look at too.

>Yup, as I was saying (writing) earlier, Springfield is a bit too much
>of a Family-4WD-Car neighbourhood, sometimes these people just don't
>watch...

Tell me about it... we've got one of those kids in hotted up cars next door. Except this guy is in his 20's (in my opinion, old enough to know better) and said car is a Toyota MR2 which is started at 5am every morning (about 20 minutes before we get up), then flogged down the street.

Anyway, my partner just got an unexpected, but nice pay rise, so this gives us the option to move in a few years. And who knows, by then things may have improved... here's hoping!

>Uhoh, what did I do???? ;O) I hope you've got the strength to carry me
>to the top of the hill on Centenary Hwy ;O)and please tell me you know
>CPR...

WHAT hill on the Centenary Hwy????? It's dead flat bar a couple of bumps!

Baka Dasai wrote:

> The fastest way to slow down or stop is to use the front brake only.
> Even down hills.

I do believe you, and I know how to use the break right, I still have a
bit of the fear of going over the handlebar in me though... ;O)

-Rasmus

LotteBum wrote:

<snip>
> Seriously, I'm about 12kg overweight (at my height, that's a fair
> chunk) and I'm quite disgustingly unfit myself....

Woah you must have put some on since I last saw you... or exaggerating?

:p

Tam