Western Isles windfarm application

The message <[email protected]>
from Dominic Sexton <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> contains these words:

> And where do you think the hydrogen comes from?

Grows on trees judging by the way the some people go on about it. :)

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 128 summits
New - 99 (Marilyns 14, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 87)

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote

> Can anyone tell me how to find a URL for this? When I tell Agent it's
> a message ID I don't get anywhere. I'd like to see the picture of the
> mistle thrush: I've been trying to learn to ID them for a year or so.

If I remember correctly before I chucked my copy in the recycling bin
outside Victoria station (why doesn't everywhere have more bins like that?)
the last issue of BBC Wildlife magazine had a bit about the differences
between mistle thrushes and song thrushes in it somewhere listing several.
Greyer is the thing I always remember but I only take a passing interest,
I'm not really a birdwatcher.

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:41:20 -0000, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>> Can anyone tell me how to find a URL for this? When I tell Agent it's
>> a message ID I don't get anywhere. I'd like to see the picture of the
>> mistle thrush: I've been trying to learn to ID them for a year or so.

>If I remember correctly before I chucked my copy in the recycling bin
>outside Victoria station (why doesn't everywhere have more bins like that?)
>the last issue of BBC Wildlife magazine had a bit about the differences
>between mistle thrushes and song thrushes in it somewhere listing several.
>Greyer is the thing I always remember but I only take a passing interest,
>I'm not really a birdwatcher.

Nor me, but 'mistle' is such a gratifying word, even apart from the
pretty thrush that goes with it!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

In message <[email protected]>, Peewiglet
<[email protected]> writes
>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:53:04 +0000, Malcolm
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[...]
>>>[email protected]
>>>

>>I didn't follow this thread - I've been away rather a lot recently.
>>
>>Assuming the bird was of similar size to a Fieldfare, it is a Mistle
>>Thrush.

>Can anyone tell me how to find a URL for this? When I tell Agent it's
>a message ID I don't get anywhere. I'd like to see the picture of the
>mistle thrush: I've been trying to learn to ID them for a year or so.
>
>Thanks for any help.

Try

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/m/mistlethrush/index.asp
http://www.bto.org/birdtrends/wcrmisth.htm
http://www.bto.org/gbw/Species/BIRDS_MISTH.htm

<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Rooney
><[email protected]> writes
>>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:50:34 +0000, Malcolm
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>Did you check this out, Malcolm? Would you mind taking a look?
>>

>>[email protected]
>>

>I didn't follow this thread - I've been away rather a lot recently.
>
>Assuming the bird was of similar size to a Fieldfare, it is a Mistle
>Thrush.

Cheers. There you go, Sandy - a couple of amendments needed!

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:35:14 GMT, Roger <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The message <[email protected]>
>from Dominic Sexton <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> contains these words:
>
>> And where do you think the hydrogen comes from?

>Grows on trees judging by the way the some people go on about it. :)
>
>--
>Roger Chapman so far this year 128 summits
>New - 99 (Marilyns 14, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 87)
>Repeats - 29 (Marilyns 11, Sweats 21, Wainwrights 16, Outlying Fells 2)

or by water electrolysis. See http://www.futurehorizons.net/hyd2a.htm

Norman

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:35:22 +0000, Dominic Sexton
<{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

| In article <[email protected]>, Norman
| <[email protected]> writes
| >Hydrogen fuel cells can be made in a vast quantity of sizes. They can
| >be used to produce small amounts of electric power for devices such as
| >personal computers, or be used to produce high voltage powers for
| >electric power stations
|
| And where do you think the hydrogen comes from?

Produced by electricity from huge banks of photo electric cells in deserts.

--
Dave F

Rooney wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:53:04 +0000, Malcolm
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Assuming the bird was of similar size to a Fieldfare, it is a Mistle
>> Thrush.

> Cheers. There you go, Sandy - a couple of amendments needed!

I haven't been able to get back for a better shot so I will bow to the
majority, nearly :)

It now reads "Fieldfare or Mistle Thrush?"

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:- [email protected]
Website:- http://www.ftscotland.co.uk

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:59:29 +0000, Chris Townsend
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/m/mistlethrush/index.asp
>http://www.bto.org/birdtrends/wcrmisth.htm
>http://www.bto.org/gbw/Species/BIRDS_MISTH.htm

Many thanks for those links - v. helpful, and particularly the last
one which explains how to distinguish the mistle thrush from the song
thrush.

I've just been watching 4 birds in my garden. I think they were a
male blackbird, two female blackbirds and a speckled thrush, but I
can't always tell the difference between the female blackbird and the
thrush.

In the Lakes just over a month ago I was walking towards a fast
flowing stream quite early one morning, on my way home, when all of a
sudden a small, brown bird fluttered very quickly into my field of
vision, flew towards the ground and appeared almost to get stuck in a
little recess at ground level on the far side of the stream. I hadn't
been paying attention, and for half a moment I actually wondered
whether it had been a bat. It wasn't, though, and just as I stopped in
my tracks it flew up again and along the stream to my right, where it
seemed to dive down again into another little recess at ground level
beside the stream, only about 20 feet away.

I wanted to take a closer look, and although, I felt the bird would
almost certainly fly away before I got to it, I nonetheless carefully
crossed the stream whilst easing my camera out of its pouch and
keeping my eyes on the place where the little bird had landed. I got
there, with arms raised to take a picture, and peered in, and there
was the little bird sitting on the ground staring straight back out at
me, probably about 6 feet away! I got one quick picture, but quite
suddenly the bird flew up again and this time flew away down the
stream in the other direction, very quickly, and swooping up and down
along the water.

I had the impression that the bird was a wren. It was wren sized, and
wren coloured, and in the couple of brief chances I had to take a look
it seemed to have the wren's stubby little tail as well. Unfortunately
my picture was absolutely useless (I'm no photographer), and I can
only see the bird because I know it was there. To anyone else it would
just be a little mid brown blob. Does anyone know whether this was
likely to be a wren, or could it have been something else?

It was really quite a magical experience, even though not a great deal
happened. The memory of the little bird looking me straight back in
the eye is very clear, though :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:17:05 GMT, "Sandy Birrell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Rooney wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:53:04 +0000, Malcolm
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Assuming the bird was of similar size to a Fieldfare, it is a Mistle
>>> Thrush.

>> Cheers. There you go, Sandy - a couple of amendments needed!

>I haven't been able to get back for a better shot so I will bow to the
>majority, nearly :)
>
>It now reads "Fieldfare or Mistle Thrush?"

Ha ha! I was quite sure it wasn't a fieldfare, but I didn't want to
commit myself (in case there was some strange immature variety that
was rarely seen) until it had been confirmed by our resident expert.
You can rest assured that Malcolm knows his onions.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:32:14 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 21:35:22 +0000, Dominic Sexton
><{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>| In article <[email protected]>, Norman
>| <[email protected]> writes
>| >Hydrogen fuel cells can be made in a vast quantity of sizes. They can
>| >be used to produce small amounts of electric power for devices such as
>| >personal computers, or be used to produce high voltage powers for
>| >electric power stations
>|
>| And where do you think the hydrogen comes from?
>
>Produced by electricity from huge banks of photo electric cells in deserts.

We can't afford to give the solar monopoly to the desert dwellers.
They've already got the oil!

"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote

> It was really quite a magical experience, even though not a great deal
> happened. The memory of the little bird looking me straight back in
> the eye is very clear, though :)

If you like getting close to cute little birds the chaffinches at Morvich
campsite at Shiel Bridge in Scotland are usually pretty friendly and the
bravest ones will take food from your hand as you lie in your tent.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:48:51 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:59:29 +0000, Chris Townsend
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>[...]
>>http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/m/mistlethrush/index.asp
>>http://www.bto.org/birdtrends/wcrmisth.htm
>>http://www.bto.org/gbw/Species/BIRDS_MISTH.htm

>Many thanks for those links - v. helpful, and particularly the last
>one which explains how to distinguish the mistle thrush from the song
>thrush.
>
>I've just been watching 4 birds in my garden. I think they were a
>male blackbird, two female blackbirds and a speckled thrush, but I
>can't always tell the difference between the female blackbird and the
>thrush.

The thrush has bold brown speckles on a cream background (top of
breast), white background (below breast). The speckly female
blackbirds tend to have a reddish brown background - they are quite
different, as you'll see from a good field guide.

>In the Lakes just over a month ago I was walking towards a fast
>flowing stream quite early one morning, on my way home, when all of a
>sudden a small, brown bird fluttered very quickly into my field of
>vision, flew towards the ground and appeared almost to get stuck in a
>little recess at ground level on the far side of the stream. I hadn't
>been paying attention, and for half a moment I actually wondered
>whether it had been a bat. It wasn't, though, and just as I stopped in
>my tracks it flew up again and along the stream to my right, where it
>seemed to dive down again into another little recess at ground level
>beside the stream, only about 20 feet away.
>
>I wanted to take a closer look, and although, I felt the bird would
>almost certainly fly away before I got to it, I nonetheless carefully
>crossed the stream whilst easing my camera out of its pouch and
>keeping my eyes on the place where the little bird had landed. I got
>there, with arms raised to take a picture, and peered in, and there
>was the little bird sitting on the ground staring straight back out at
>me, probably about 6 feet away! I got one quick picture, but quite
>suddenly the bird flew up again and this time flew away down the
>stream in the other direction, very quickly, and swooping up and down
>along the water.
>
>I had the impression that the bird was a wren. It was wren sized, and
>wren coloured, and in the couple of brief chances I had to take a look
>it seemed to have the wren's stubby little tail as well. Unfortunately
>my picture was absolutely useless (I'm no photographer), and I can
>only see the bird because I know it was there. To anyone else it would
>just be a little mid brown blob. Does anyone know whether this was
>likely to be a wren, or could it have been something else?

Very likely to be a wren.

>It was really quite a magical experience, even though not a great deal
>happened. The memory of the little bird looking me straight back in
>the eye is very clear, though :)
>

>Best wishes,

The message <[email protected]>
from [email protected] (Norman) contains these words:

> >> And where do you think the hydrogen comes from?

> >Grows on trees judging by the way the some people go on about it. :)

> or by water electrolysis. See http://www.futurehorizons.net/hyd2a.htm

Looks like a snake oil site to me and I am not going to waste 25$
dollars just to find out for sure.

"We provide detailed plans from an inventor who has converted his car to
run solely on water -- and has been doing so for many years. These plans
are not concept or theory, but a tried and proven design. These plans
alone are worth the cost of this report."

Even in the land of cheap petrol running a car with water as the only
fuel would be worth a good deal more than 25$. Maybe even 25$ per week.
Unless of course water is extrordinarily expensive in The States.

--
Roger Chapman so far this year 128 summits
New - 99 (Marilyns 14, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 87)
Repeats - 29 (Marilyns 11, Sweats 21, Wainwrights 16, Outlying Fells 2)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:27:16 -0000, "AndyP"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> It was really quite a magical experience, even though not a great deal
>> happened. The memory of the little bird looking me straight back in
>> the eye is very clear, though :)

>If you like getting close to cute little birds the chaffinches at Morvich
>campsite at Shiel Bridge in Scotland are usually pretty friendly and the
>bravest ones will take food from your hand as you lie in your tent.

When there's lying snow or a very hard frost, you can get blue, coal
and great tits on your hand at Delamere forest.

I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
from Rooney contained the following:

>When there's lying snow or a very hard frost, you can get blue, coal
>and great tits on your hand at Delamere forest.

Nothing like that has happened to me for a long time...

--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:25:17 +0000, Geoff Berrow <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I noticed that Message-ID: <[email protected]>
>from Rooney contained the following:
>
>>When there's lying snow or a very hard frost, you can get blue, coal
>>and great tits on your hand at Delamere forest.

>Nothing like that has happened to me for a long time...

Cheshire birds are easy.

"Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote

> When there's lying snow or a very hard frost, you can get blue, coal
> and great tits on your hand at Delamere forest.

Tits in your hand are always a pleasant experience.

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 10:32:49 +0000, Rooney <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]
>>I've just been watching 4 birds in my garden. I think they were a
>>male blackbird, two female blackbirds and a speckled thrush, but I
>>can't always tell the difference between the female blackbird and the
>>thrush.

>The thrush has bold brown speckles on a cream background (top of
>breast), white background (below breast). The speckly female
>blackbirds tend to have a reddish brown background - they are quite
>different, as you'll see from a good field guide.

Of the 4 birds I was watching, on was black with a yellow beak (I
thought that was the male blackbird) and another was brown with brown
speckles on a creamy breast (the one I think is clearly the thrush).
The other two, though, were plain dark brown. Those were the ones I
was unsure about. Perhaps they're both female blackbirds?

<snip my Lakes birdy story>

>Very likely to be a wren.

Thanks :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:13:15 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>The other two, though, were plain dark brown. Those were the ones I
>was unsure about. Perhaps they're both female blackbirds?

Yes.