Wet Tyres

Jaybird2009

Jul 24, 2009
Hi, Could anyone recommend a good road tyre for wet conditions, preferably one that provides a good confident grip.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Jaybird2009 said:
Hi, Could anyone recommend a good road tyre for wet conditions, preferably one that provides a good confident grip.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Panaracer Extreme Duro/Extreme Evo/ Closer.

Basically any tire in the Panaracer line with their ZSG (zero slip grip) rubber compound. These tires are some of the best kept secrets rolling, IMO. I use the Duros for training as they're a little heavy, but the grip is awesome - wet and dry. The Evos are the best value for a race tire I've found.

Thanks, I will check them out, This summer in Ireland has been alot wetter than was anticipated, already had a nasty spill.

Jaybird2009 said:
Thanks, I will check them out, This summer in Ireland has been alot wetter than was anticipated, already had a nasty spill.

Then you'll want to know some rain riding tips:
  • For the first 20 or so minutes of rain, the streets stay slick with oil and other car fluids.
  • Avoid riding in the center of a lane. That's where cars dump their ****.
  • Tread carefully on painted lines and crack sealant (er.....tar). They both get really slick in the wet.
  • Brake early. You've prolly already discovered that it takes a revolution or two for the brakes to clean the rim enough to be really effective.

Thanks alienator I will take them onboard.As it turns out it was a metal shore that brought me down. Its worth keeping the dangers in mind whan the heavens open up.

alienator said:
Then you'll want to know some rain riding tips:
  • For the first 20 or so minutes of rain, the streets stay slick with oil and other car fluids.
  • Avoid riding in the center of a lane. That's where cars dump their ****.
  • Tread carefully on painted lines and crack sealant (er.....tar). They both get really slick in the wet.
  • Brake early. You've prolly already discovered that it takes a revolution or two for the brakes to clean the rim enough to be really effective.
Good info! You sure know a lot about riding in the rain for someone who rides in the desert!