UK and Europe · Public discussion

Wharaoooya count

Started by Colin Blackburn · · Last activity · 31 posts · 2,155 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
28 January 2003
Last activity
30 January 2003
Original author
Colin Blackburn
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,155
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–31 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Geraint Jones said:

    Colin Blackburn <[email hidden]> wrote: ( Well, I think that's what he said as he
    tore past me. You know the sort ) of thing, passenger side window down and the passenger screaming
    ( something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just wondered if my ) wharaoooya count was
    higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse ( than Oxford.

    There's probably more of it in Oxford than you remember. I don't think I've ever made it all the
    way up Cumnor Hill without at least one Wharaoooya.

    Most of my cycling in Oxford was on the Banbury and Woodstock Roads and out to Wytham. Maybe that
    area is just a bit more Sewellsian than Cumnor Hill.

    Colin

  2. "Colin Blackburn" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:MPG.189f2933f06ad1f998971e@localhost...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
    window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
    wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than Oxford.
    My count last week was 3, about average. One was a bit odd though as it was the pillion passenger
    of an oncoming scooter. The scooter rider pipped while the pillion rider gave me the finger and
    let out a muffled scream which must have hurt his ears more than mine.

    WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....

    You correctly identify an event that occurs regularly enough to merit a word to describe it, but
    then you fluff it by choosing the name 'Wharaoooya'. Oh yes, I know that's what was said, but you
    could have used 'artistic licence' to come up with something much more euphonic. Ah well, we're
    stuck with 'Wharaoooya' now. As the word's creator, do you intend to be hardline about its spelling,
    or will you be accepting multiple variants?

    --
    Akin

    aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

  3. In message <[email hidden]>, "Stephen (aka steford)"
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:


    "Colin Blackburn" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:MPG.189f2933f06ad1f998971e@localhost...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
    window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past.

    Within a couple of seconds the 800cc mini, or whatever it was, started to falter on the incline

    We (4 adults and 3 medium sized children) were in a Mini traveller on Dartmoor, - lots of us had to
    get out as it couldn't make it up one of the hills.

    On the topic of abuse, I can't say I notice it much on the bike (though plenty of amused comments
    when out with the kiddie trailer) - but I do tend to just ignore this stuff anyway.

    My favourite was when driving the cage one day, the chap badly cut me up exiting a roundabout, I
    hooted him and he started playing silly buggers slowing down in front etc. Ignoring him I just
    overtook him and carried on. At the lights a way along the road he ended up beside me, he stared
    giving it all sorts of verbals. When I didn't rise to the bait he seemed to get even more frustrated
    and started to run out of things to say - his parting words as the lights changed were 'speccy
    [censored]' - an 'insult' I hadn't heard since my school days......

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  4. Geraint Jones said:

    I had occasion to shout at a car that was about to SMIDSY me last night; it was "What do you think
    this is, a bloody supermarket car park?" but I guess he probably thinks it was Wharaoooya.

    When i shout at cagers, it generaly comes out as Geroutofit . One day i did this so loud that her
    indoors heard me from inside the other side of the house.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    home.in.tum.deoe quotefix

  5. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    WHARAOOOYAAAAaaaa....

    The other night I was waiting at the lights in Glasgow when a taxi pulled up beside me as he was
    turning at the filter and said "Nice [censored] mate!"

    Bit of a shock him being a bloke an' me being a bloke but, hey, a compliment's a compliment :-)

  6. AndyMorris said:

    When i shout at cagers, it generaly comes out as Geroutofit . One day i did this so loud that her
    indoors heard me from inside the other side of the house.

    Those turbo trainer videos are getting a bit realistic, by the sound of it ;-)

    --
    Guy
    ===
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.

    highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml highwaycode.gov.uk09.shtml

  7. Patrick Herring said:
    Colin Blackburn said:


    Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
    window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
    wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average. Durham certainly seems worse than
    Oxford. My count last week was 3, about average.

    Aha, I though it was just me. NE Sheffield rates about 1 per month ATM.

    Come down to SWE Sheffield (Crystal Peaks area) and you can have some of mine! (about 1 a week ATM)

    Alan

  8. Colin Blackburn said:


    Quoted message said:

    I then promptly overtook them when I hit a nice sharp downhill and they got stuck in traffic.
    Hoho. [censored] bike indeed 🙂

    I hope you shouted, "YAAAAGH...[censored] car!" as you sailed past.

    Sadly I'm not that quick on my mental feet and was giggling so much staying upright was difficult,
    nevermind making witty remarks.

    Nice and windy again tonight. I hope it's going the same way I am.

    Regards,

    -david

  9. David Nutter said:
    Colin Blackburn said:
    Quoted message said:

    I then promptly overtook them when I hit a nice sharp downhill and they got stuck in traffic.
    Hoho. [censored] bike indeed 🙂

    I hope you shouted, "YAAAAGH...[censored] car!" as you sailed past.

    Sadly I'm not that quick on my mental feet and was giggling so much staying upright was difficult,
    nevermind making witty remarks.

    Nice and windy again tonight. I hope it's going the same way I am.

    Too windy for me! I've used the bus for the last few days.

    Colin

  10. you know? said:
    Colin Blackburn said:

    Well, I think that's what he said as he tore past me. You know the sort of thing, passenger side
    window down and the passenger screaming something at a cyclist as the car/van speeds past. I just
    wondered if my wharaoooya count was higher than average.

    Dunno - you get a lot more of them on a bent, for sure. I've always thought they were shouting
    "LookatmeI'macompletewanker!" but ICBW :-)

    I was on my Oke Ja today (semi 'bent). As I rode passed a middle school I got one "Nice bike!" and
    one "Aerodynamic!".

    Tim
    --
    fast and gripping, non pompous, glossy and credible.

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Colin Blackburn <[email hidden]> wrote: ( David Nutter wrote: ) > Nice and windy
    again tonight. I hope it's going the same way I am. ( ) Too windy for me! I've used the bus for
    the last few days.

    I've just had to pedal like fury in a 43" gear to get down a hill (Barton to Marston along the
    Oxford ring-road, for those that know: not much of a hill but decidedly downwards).

    :-)

    It's neithe the headwind nor the tailwind which is the problem on my trip home at the moment, it's
    the massive side-swiping gusts waiting for me in Meadowfield.

    Colin

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.