Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

What are my options for making decals?

Started by jur · · Last activity · 12 posts · 695 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
9 August 2006
Last activity
10 August 2006
Original author
jur
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
695
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am painting a frame and want to put the original artwork on it. What are my options for making decals?

  2. jur said:

    I am painting a frame and want to put the original artwork on it. What
    are my options for making decals?

    Can't you buy decals from the manufacturer?

    --
    BrettS

  3. jur said:

    I am painting a frame and want to put the original artwork on it. What
    are my options for making decals?


    Some info from the famous suzyj

    http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/frame/transfers.html

    Parbs

  4. jur said:

    I am painting a frame and want to put the original artwork on it. What are my options for making decals?

    Could you scan the art or get copies from an online source or the company and then get a sticker printing mob to make them for you?

    I used to have a link or two for this activity but that was in Oz.

    A-1 decals maybe?? something or other?

    hippy

  5. Most yacht chandlers or boat yards will have a contacft who can produce
    laser cut names for boats etc in huge range of type faces

    "jur" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    I am painting a frame and want to put the original artwork on it. What
    are my options for making decals?

    --
    jur

  6. jur said:

    I am painting a frame and want to put the original artwork on it. What are my options for making decals?

    There's a guy who makes reproductions of original bike decals, my husband exchanged email with him a few months ago with a view to replacing the damaged decals on his Miyata.

    It will take him a while to wade through all his old emails, but I will post the details when he finds them.

    EDIT: it didn't take as long as we thought - it is Velographic Decals
    He will make custom decals from good quality colour photographs. Don't know what it costs, my husband didn't get as far as discussing price.

  7. jur said:

    I am painting a frame and want to put the original artwork on it. What
    are my options for making decals?

    You can buy sheets of transparent adhesive which you can print on and
    stick on yourself with a laser printer.

    Friday

  8. Parbs said:

    http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/frame/transfers.html

    Unless you really want to get into it, I'd advise against making your own. The woman who did that is a complete nutcase.

    The easiest solution is to get vinyl stickers cut. Any sign shop can do that. However, you're very limited artistically, and the result is fairly thick, and not amenable to hiding under clear-coat.

    If it's a popular brand of bike, you may be able to get decals.

    If you want to faithfully reproduce the decals, you're in for a fun ride. My first suggestion is to make a bracket to hold a digital camera a fixed distance from the tube, and take a bunch of photos around the decal. Stich the centers of these together using the Gimp or similar, and then draw over the top using Illustrator of Inkscape.

    Then take a big financial breath and send the files to a production house, or else learn to make your own.

    You can get decal film that you can print on with an inkjet printer, but the results are pretty crappy. There's no white ink available on an inkjet, and the inks aren't waterproof, and aren't particularly UV stable. What looks okay now will look totally washed out and awful in six months.

    Best of luck,

    Suzy

  9. jur said:

    I am painting a frame and want to put the original artwork on it. What
    are my options for making decals?

    Quick and nasty[1], but long lasting (ten years in direct sun) is a
    Celcast stick on film that you run through a laser. the black tone and
    film lasted ten years on a trailer side. No idea how a colour laser
    would last. I suspect certain colouring agents wiould fade (red, blue,
    etc).

    It isn't that nasty. Depends on your artwork and resolution of the printer.

  10. quote='Terryc'jur said:

    I am painting a frame and want to put the original artwork on it. What
    are my options for making decals?

    Quick and nasty[1], but long lasting (ten years in direct sun) is a
    Celcast stick on film that you run through a laser. the black tone and
    film lasted ten years on a trailer side. No idea how a colour laser
    would last. I suspect certain colouring agents wiould fade (red, blue,
    etc).

    It isn't that nasty. Depends on your artwork and resolution of the printer.[/QUOTE]
    Depending on the complexity of the decal, could you hand paint the decal, or beg/borrow/steal an airbrush and make up stencils yourself. Then you get paint grade UV stability, smoothness under the clear coat and pride in your work.

    Plus you can then test out multiple colours on a test piece of metal or similar for the end result.

  11. suzyj said:
    Parbs said:

    http://www.littlefishbicycles.com/frame/transfers.html

    Unless you really want to get into it, I'd advise against making your
    own. The woman who did that is a complete nutcase.

    Well I wasn't going to say anything...

    Parbs

  12. Wouldn't clearcoat block UV? (thinking about just about any sunnies that purportedly block UV).

    We have this label maker at work, I thought I'd try to make a black outline on clear background and gold paint/pen in the rest.

    It's just a Raleigh 20. But it's still worth doing well if it's worth doing.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.