What are the best anti-theft tricks around?

Originally Posted by King Fisher .

Anyone ever had thier best ever bike stolen? /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif About a year ago I had one of the best bikes I've ever had stolen from me out of my own back yard. It was a bike that I built myself from used parts that started out as a just for fun project and ended up being the fastest bike I've ever had./img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

My question is how does someone keep posession of thier bike without huge chains, heavy "U" locks that can be picked with a ball point pen, a bike locker, or a private security guard?

King Fisher
A whale harpoon gun embedded in the seatpost. Failure to insert the locking pin in the seat tube before pedalling causes the cranks to trigger "the gun" and skewer the clepto and forces him to stay on the bike... I hear hungry pigs are brutal too. Keep a few in the back yard, they'll eat the leftovers from dinner (eco friendly) and eat burgulars too (people friendly). Great for getting rid of the evidence. The best bit is if they don't work out you could always slice and dice them and eat them for breakfast...

Dealing with NYC where it is a right of passage to have your bike stolen, if you have a descent bike no luck will work. The best I have used is a motorcycle lock I had when I was a messenger which weighed a ton but the best way to deal with it is simply a time limit. Never leave your bike unattended for more than 15-20 minutes in urban areas and when you get outside the urban areas, you can leave it for a couple hours.

-js

You got that right, the best anti-theft is to NEVER leave your bike anywhere alone!! If you do, get a heavy duty lock and wrap the heck out of it onto something sturdy, but only for a short period of time.

Thanks,
Jason K.
http://www.bikepumps.org/