General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What are the spices in salsa?

Started by RalGrl · · Last activity · 27 posts · 756 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 April 2006
Last activity
28 April 2006
Original author
RalGrl
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
756
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.

    Does anyone know?

  2. RalGrl said:

    I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.

    Does anyone know?

    Typical commercial stupidmarket salsa generally contains very little by
    way of spices, usually just a little black pepper, it contains herbs
    like cilantro or parsley, and seasonings like salt and vinegar.... the
    rest is fresh vegetables.

    Sheldon

  3. RalGrl said:

    I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.

    Does anyone know?

    Onion, garlic, cilantro whould be the only spices (or herbs - for
    Sheldon).

    Oddball salsas may use various ground chile peppers, cumin, and
    [Mexican] oregano.

    -sw

  4. Sheldon said:
    sqwertz said:
    RalGrl said:

    I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.

    Does anyone know?

    Onion, garlic, cilantro whould be the only spices (or herbs - for
    Sheldon).

    Not much help to the OP, eh... she asked about spices.

    See? I knew you'd come along humping my leg, so I explicitly
    included that disclaimer with your name on it. Taljk about
    predictable...

    Quoted message said:

    Those are herbs for everyone including botanists, sqwertz..

    Uh, Botanists call them "bulbs" and "plants", dumbass.

    -sw

  5. RalGrl said:

    I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.

    Good fresh salsa is not complicated. It generally has either tomatoes
    or tomatillos, chiles, salt. A bit of finely diced garlic is nice too,
    and perhaps a tiny bit of freshly milled black pepper. Stew that down
    to a nice consistency, let it cool, then serve as is, or add any of the
    following: finely chopped onion, chopped cilantro leaves (not stems),
    finely chopped raw tomato, Mexican style sour cream, avocado, or some
    other oddball ingredient such as corn (canned or preferably cut from
    the cob).

    Keep in mind that if you add uncooked ingredients, you greatly lessen
    the shelf life to about 1-2 days in the fridge, from 4-7 days.

    If using tomatoes instead of tomatillos, it may come out too sweet. A
    tiny bit of lime or lemon juice will correct that. Use chiles that are
    appropriate for your desired heat. Don't use hot chiles, but just less
    of them. If you want mild salsa, use milder chiles. Also, don't
    think you can't make good salsa with dried chiles. Dried chiles or
    frozen chiles can do quite well. Canned chiles are mostly [censored], and
    ones that are pickled in vinegar are certainly not, IMO, worthy of use
    in salsas.

    Go here:
    http://rollybrook.com/kitchen.htm
    Here's a nice salsa: http://rollybrook.com/salsa-guero.htm
    My favorite Mexican salsa makers do one thing differently than Sra.
    Martha does. They never cook the onion in their salsas, but add it
    afterward, and in every case I have found that preferable.

    You will absolutely love the site. The guy is a regular on
    alt.food.mexican-cooking, if there is such a thing.

    Quoted message said:


    Does anyone know?

    As far as "spices" go, black pepper and ground cumin, both used in
    moderation are the only ones I'd contemplate using, except one Peruvian
    friend adds bay leaf before stewing, and she leaves it in when serving.
    You might want to pull out the bay leaves before serving, especially
    if people are drinking alcoholic beverages, because bay leaves can be
    dangerous.

    --Bryan

  6. sqwertz said:
    Sheldon said:
    sqwertz said:

    RalGrl wrote:

    > I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    > they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    > spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    > was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    > well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.
    >
    > Does anyone know?

    Onion, garlic, cilantro whould be the only spices (or herbs - for
    Sheldon).

    Not much help to the OP, eh... she asked about spices.

    Quoted message said:

    Those are herbs for everyone including botanists, sqwertz..

    Uh, Botanists call them "bulbs" and "plants", dumbass.

    You're momma is a plant, stinkweed... your daddy is a bulb, 4 watts
    worth... sqwertz, assface...

    herb
    : a seed-producing annual, biennial, or perennial that does not
    develop persistent woody tissue but dies down at the end of a growing
    season.

  7. Food Snob said:
    RalGrl said:

    I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.

    Good fresh salsa is not complicated. It generally has either tomatoes
    or tomatillos, chiles, salt. A bit of finely diced garlic is nice too,
    and perhaps a tiny bit of freshly milled black pepper. Stew that down
    to a nice consistency, let it cool, then serve as is, or add any of the
    following: finely chopped onion, chopped cilantro leaves (not stems),
    finely chopped raw tomato, Mexican style sour cream, avocado, or some
    other oddball ingredient such as corn (canned or preferably cut from
    the cob).

    Keep in mind that if you add uncooked ingredients, you greatly lessen
    the shelf life to about 1-2 days in the fridge, from 4-7 days.

    If using tomatoes instead of tomatillos, it may come out too sweet. A
    tiny bit of lime or lemon juice will correct that. Use chiles that are
    appropriate for your desired heat. Don't use hot chiles, but just less
    of them. If you want mild salsa, use milder chiles. Also, don't
    think you can't make good salsa with dried chiles. Dried chiles or
    frozen chiles can do quite well. Canned chiles are mostly [censored], and
    ones that are pickled in vinegar are certainly not, IMO, worthy of use
    in salsas.

    Go here:
    http://rollybrook.com/kitchen.htm
    Here's a nice salsa: http://rollybrook.com/salsa-guero.htm
    My favorite Mexican salsa makers do one thing differently than Sra.
    Martha does. They never cook the onion in their salsas, but add it
    afterward, and in every case I have found that preferable.

    You will absolutely love the site. The guy is a regular on
    alt.food.mexican-cooking, if there is such a thing.

    Quoted message said:


    Does anyone know?

    As far as "spices" go, black pepper and ground cumin, both used in
    moderation are the only ones I'd contemplate using, except one Peruvian
    friend adds bay leaf before stewing, and she leaves it in when serving.
    You might want to pull out the bay leaves before serving, especially
    if people are drinking alcoholic beverages, because bay leaves can be
    dangerous.

    Bryan, thank you so much for your advice. I've been making my fresh
    salsa with only fresh: tomato, onion, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, and
    peppers. And (once I drain the fresh tomatoes of most of it's water
    content) it makes the GREATEST salsa. However, I really enjoy the
    salsa at On The Border and I think there's more in that salsa than the
    ingredients I just listed, so I'm left to thinking that it might be the
    mysterious "spices" that I'm reading about on the salsa jars found in
    the grocery store. On the Border even markets their salsa in bottles
    at some places, but obviously the consistency and taste aren't quite
    the same. And of course their lables say "...and spices". I think
    trying the ground cumin and doing some of the techniques you've listed
    should be a good place to start.

    Thanks so much!

  8. Sheldon said:
    sqwertz said:
    Sheldon said:

    sqwertz wrote:
    > RalGrl wrote:
    >
    >> I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    >> they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    >> spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    >> was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    >> well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know?
    >
    > Onion, garlic, cilantro whould be the only spices (or herbs - for
    > Sheldon).

    Not much help to the OP, eh... she asked about spices.

    Quoted message said:

    Those are herbs for everyone including botanists, sqwertz..

    Uh, Botanists call them "bulbs" and "plants", dumbass.

    You're momma is a plant, stinkweed... your daddy is a bulb, 4 watts
    worth... sqwertz, assface...

    herb
    : a seed-producing annual, biennial, or perennial that does not
    develop persistent woody tissue but dies down at the end of a growing
    season.

    By that definition then, practically every vegetable is a herb,
    including most of those things you call "spices". Since when
    have you heard a botanists call a tomato a herb?

    You've already lost this discussion with everyone here 10 times
    over. Why do you keep coming back for more? Because you're
    dense?

    -sw

  9. Steve Wertz said:

    Onion, garlic, cilantro whould be the only spices (or herbs - for
    Sheldon).

    Oops. And fresh chiles of course. Some will add dried chile
    powders which is an abomination to good salsa.

    -sw

  10. RalGrl said:

    I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.

    Does anyone know?

    With a Google search, I found a copycat "On The Border" salsa recipe. I
    have not made this, I just found it a few minutes ago. So take it for
    what it's worth.

    -----

    http://www.renegadeforums.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=60103&rid=0#msg_60103

    ".....ON THE BORDER SALSA

    Spices and Vegetables Mixture . . .
    Bell Pepper, Green (Finely Chopped) - 1/4
    Bell Pepper, Red (Finely Chopped) - 1/4
    Cilantro (Chopped FRESH) - 1/4 Cup (MUST BE FRESH, dried will not be
    the same)
    Cumin - 1/4 Teaspoon
    Garlic Clove, Large (Minced) - 1
    Green Chili's Hot (Minced) - 1 (4 Ounce can)
    Jalapeno Pepper (Minced) - 1
    Lime Juice - 1/2 juice of a Lime
    Onion, Small (Chopped very fine, I used my mini chopper for this) - 1
    Salt - 1 Tablespoon

    Chop all of this up very fine.

    Tomato Combo . . .
    Canned Tomatoes (Diced) - 2 (14.5 Ounce cans)
    Roma Tomatoes - 2 Pounds

    Boil about 3 quarts of water then place your tomatoes in and let them
    boil until their skins start to come off. This makes it super easy to
    peel them. The skins just slide right off, and they're slightly cooked
    this way. Strain the tomatoes in a colander then cut off the ends of
    them, and peel off the skins. Chop them up into 1/4" pieces or so.

    Add to this 2 cans of DICED CANNED tomatoes, including juices.

    Combine the tomato mixture with the rest of the ingredients in a large
    bowl, mix well. Blend to proper consistency based on how you like your
    salsa....."

    -----

    Rusty

  11. Rusty said:
    RalGrl said:

    I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.

    Does anyone know?

    With a Google search, I found a copycat "On The Border" salsa recipe. I
    have not made this, I just found it a few minutes ago. So take it for
    what it's worth.

    -----

    http://www.renegadeforums.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=60103&rid=0#msg_60103

    ".....ON THE BORDER SALSA

    Spices and Vegetables Mixture . . .
    Bell Pepper, Green (Finely Chopped) - 1/4
    Bell Pepper, Red (Finely Chopped) - 1/4
    Cilantro (Chopped FRESH) - 1/4 Cup (MUST BE FRESH, dried will not be
    the same)
    Cumin - 1/4 Teaspoon
    Garlic Clove, Large (Minced) - 1
    Green Chili's Hot (Minced) - 1 (4 Ounce can)
    Jalapeno Pepper (Minced) - 1
    Lime Juice - 1/2 juice of a Lime
    Onion, Small (Chopped very fine, I used my mini chopper for this) - 1
    Salt - 1 Tablespoon

    Chop all of this up very fine.

    Tomato Combo . . .
    Canned Tomatoes (Diced) - 2 (14.5 Ounce cans)
    Roma Tomatoes - 2 Pounds

    Boil about 3 quarts of water then place your tomatoes in and let them
    boil until their skins start to come off. This makes it super easy to
    peel them. The skins just slide right off, and they're slightly cooked
    this way. Strain the tomatoes in a colander then cut off the ends of
    them, and peel off the skins. Chop them up into 1/4" pieces or so.

    Add to this 2 cans of DICED CANNED tomatoes, including juices.

    Combine the tomato mixture with the rest of the ingredients in a large
    bowl, mix well. Blend to proper consistency based on how you like your
    salsa....."

    Oh, you totally rock! I did a Google search for it as well but I must
    not have dug far enough. I'm going to give this a try! Gracias :-)

  12. Steve Wertz said:
    Sheldon said:
    sqwertz said:

    Sheldon wrote:
    > sqwertz wrote:
    >> RalGrl wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    >>> they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    >>> spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    >>> was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    >>> well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know?
    >> Onion, garlic, cilantro whould be the only spices (or herbs - for
    >> Sheldon).
    > Not much help to the OP, eh... she asked about spices.
    > Those are herbs for everyone including botanists, sqwertz..
    Uh, Botanists call them "bulbs" and "plants", dumbass.


    You're momma is a plant, stinkweed... your daddy is a bulb, 4 watts
    worth... sqwertz, assface...

    herb
    : a seed-producing annual, biennial, or perennial that does not
    develop persistent woody tissue but dies down at the end of a growing
    season.

    By that definition then, practically every vegetable is a herb,
    including most of those things you call "spices". Since when
    have you heard a botanists call a tomato a herb?

    A tomato is a fruit. Ergo if practically every vegetable is an herb, a
    tomato is never one.

    Quoted message said:

    You've already lost this discussion with everyone here 10 times
    over. Why do you keep coming back for more? Because you're
    dense?

    Has this been helpful, Ralgrl? 🙂

  13. Pennyaline said:
    Steve Wertz said:
    Sheldon said:

    sqwertz wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    >> sqwertz wrote:
    >>> RalGrl wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    >>>> they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    >>>> spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    >>>> was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    >>>> well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.
    >>>>
    >>>> Does anyone know?
    >>> Onion, garlic, cilantro whould be the only spices (or herbs - for
    >>> Sheldon).
    >> Not much help to the OP, eh... she asked about spices.
    >> Those are herbs for everyone including botanists, sqwertz..
    > Uh, Botanists call them "bulbs" and "plants", dumbass.
    You're momma is a plant, stinkweed... your daddy is a bulb, 4 watts
    worth... sqwertz, assface...

    herb
    : a seed-producing annual, biennial, or perennial that does not
    develop persistent woody tissue but dies down at the end of a growing
    season.

    By that definition then, practically every vegetable is a herb,
    including most of those things you call "spices". Since when
    have you heard a botanists call a tomato a herb?

    A tomato is a fruit. Ergo if practically every vegetable is an herb, a
    tomato is never one.

    Quoted message said:

    You've already lost this discussion with everyone here 10 times
    over. Why do you keep coming back for more? Because you're
    dense?

    Has this been helpful, Ralgrl? 🙂

    Oh, not in the least :-)

    Funny how one benign question about salsa can get people fighting with
    each other. I don't know if it's amusing or just sad.

  14. Sheldon said:

    Typical commercial stupidmarket salsa generally contains very little by
    way of spices, usually just a little black pepper, it contains herbs
    like cilantro or parsley, and seasonings like salt and vinegar.... the
    rest is fresh vegetables.

    Sheldon's head is a rotten vegetable.

    One of the "vegetables" in all "salsa" is some sort of pepper (like
    jalapeno flesh, not talicherry peppercorns), usually roasted.

    --Blair

  15. RalGrl said:
    Quoted message said:

    Has this been helpful, Ralgrl? 🙂

    Oh, not in the least :-)

    Funny how one benign question about salsa can get people fighting with
    each other. I don't know if it's amusing or just sad.

    Hi patches..

  16. Rusty said:
    RalGrl said:

    I've been reading the ingredients listed on several jars of salsa and
    they always just say "and spices", but they never list exactly what
    spices are used. Does anyone know specific spices that are used? I
    was thinking the great salsa at On The Border uses some spices as
    well as fresh ingredients, but I can't quite place what they use.

    Does anyone know?

    With a Google search, I found a copycat "On The Border" salsa recipe. I
    have not made this, I just found it a few minutes ago. So take it for
    what it's worth.

    -----

    http://www.renegadeforums.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=60103&rid=0#msg_60103

    ".....ON THE BORDER SALSA

    Spices and Vegetables Mixture . . .
    Bell Pepper, Green (Finely Chopped) - 1/4
    Bell Pepper, Red (Finely Chopped) - 1/4
    Cilantro (Chopped FRESH) - 1/4 Cup (MUST BE FRESH, dried will not be
    the same)
    Cumin - 1/4 Teaspoon
    Garlic Clove, Large (Minced) - 1
    Green Chili's Hot (Minced) - 1 (4 Ounce can)
    Jalapeno Pepper (Minced) - 1
    Lime Juice - 1/2 juice of a Lime
    Onion, Small (Chopped very fine, I used my mini chopper for this) - 1
    Salt - 1 Tablespoon

    Chop all of this up very fine.

    Tomato Combo . . .
    Canned Tomatoes (Diced) - 2 (14.5 Ounce cans)
    Roma Tomatoes - 2 Pounds

    Hmm, the only spice listed is the cumin (I don't like cumin in salsa).
    And this make's little sense, kinda dago speak: "Lime Juice - 1/2
    juice of a Lime".... shouldn't that be *juice of half a lime*? And I
    think 1 Tbs salt is excessive for that recipe. I wouldn't use any
    canned tomatoes either. I grow my own tomatoes and make lots of salsa;
    I like to use quartered cherry tomatoes... I don't need to peel them as
    they have such thin skin, I don't remove that tiny core either...
    tomato skin is healthful too. I usually prepare a 2 quart bowlful for
    lunch each day... more a salsa salad... I like to add tiny dice cukes
    too. I have so many cherry tomatoes I couldn't use them up otherwise.
    I don't like cilantro, tastes like soap to me, I use lots of parsley
    instead... didja know that pound for pound parsley contains more
    vitamin C than citrus.

    Sheldon

  17. Blair P. Houghton said:
    Sheldon said:

    Typical commercial stupidmarket salsa generally contains very little by
    way of spices, usually just a little black pepper, it contains herbs
    like cilantro or parsley, and seasonings like salt and vinegar.... the
    rest is fresh vegetables.

    Sheldon's head is a rotten vegetable.

    One of the "vegetables" in all "salsa" is some sort of pepper (like
    jalapeno flesh, not talicherry peppercorns), usually roasted.

    Unless it's salsa cruda or pico de gallo (and don't ask me what the
    difference is, because I don't know) in which case everything is fresh
    and raw.

    Kathleen

  18. Kathleen said:
    Blair Puny IQ Houghton said:
    Sheldon said:

    Typical commercial stupidmarket salsa generally contains very little by
    way of spices, usually just a little black pepper, it contains herbs
    like cilantro or parsley, and seasonings like salt and vinegar.... the
    rest is fresh vegetables.

    One of the "vegetables" in all "salsa" is some sort of pepper (like
    jalapeno flesh, not talicherry peppercorns), usually roasted.

    Unless it's salsa cruda or pico de gallo (and don't ask me what the
    difference is, because I don't know) in which case everything is fresh
    and raw.

    Kathleen

    Most salsas contain *ground* black pepper (most recipes contain ground
    black pepper, and it's tellicherry,not "talicherry"😉... never seen any
    salsas with peppercorns. I've never yet seen a recipe indicating which
    specific peppercorn... most indicate black or white, some one of the
    other colors (green, pink, etc.).
    Most commercial salsas don't contain any jalapeno, they contain ground
    cayenne for heat... that must be in with the "and spices". Remember,
    the original poster asked specifically about commercial salsa, not home
    made.... there aren't many more varieties of commercial salsas as
    fingers of one hand and all are pretty much the same tomatoey slop,
    however there are literally thousands of home made salsas, many with no
    tomato whatsoever.

    Sheldon

  19. Sheldon the literalist moron said:

    Most salsas contain *ground* black pepper (most recipes contain ground
    black pepper, and it's tellicherry,not "talicherry"😉... never seen any
    salsas with peppercorns. I've never yet seen a recipe indicating which
    specific peppercorn... most indicate black or white, some one of the
    other colors (green, pink, etc.).
    Most commercial salsas don't contain any jalapeno, they contain ground
    cayenne for heat... that must be in with the "and spices".

    The ingredients list of the most popular salsa in America.

    CRUSHED TOMATOES (WATER, CONCERNTRATED CRUSHED TOMATOES), FRESH ONIONS,
    FRESH JALAPEÑO PEPPERS, DICED TOMATOES IN TOMATO JUICE, DISTILLED
    VINEGAR, SALT, DEHYDRATED ONIONS AND GARLIC.
    http://www.pacefoods.com/productpopup.aspx?product=pc_picante_sauce&prd_product_id=10818

    Jalapenos buit no black pepper of any kind. You fatuous idiot.

    Quoted message said:

    Remember,
    the original poster asked specifically about commercial salsa, not home
    made.... there aren't many more varieties of commercial salsas as
    fingers of one hand and all are pretty much the same tomatoey slop,
    however there are literally thousands of home made salsas, many with no
    tomato whatsoever.

    There's one variety of Sheldon, and that's the foot-in-mouth kind.

    --Blair

  20. Sheldon said:
    Quoted message said:

    Green Chili's Hot (Minced) - 1 (4 Ounce can)
    Jalapeno Pepper (Minced) - 1
    Lime Juice - 1/2 juice of a Lime

    Hmm, the only spice listed is the cumin (I don't like cumin in salsa).

    DP YOU MEAN THE ONLY SPICE THAT ISN'T HOT GREEN CHILIS OR JALAPENOS,
    SHELDON???

    Quoted message said:

    And this make's little sense, kinda dago speak:

    Get off the net, you racist moron.

    --Blair

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.