What bike for long rides(150-200m) can I get for around $1500

bhasu

Aug 29, 2004
Here is what I want on the bike:
1. Carbon fork, seatstays and seatpost.
2. Fairly light (but weight is not the primary concern. The primary concern is that the bike doesn't beat me up after a 100-150 mile ride.)
3. Of course, durable.

Here is what I don't care for:
1. How the bike looks. It doesn't have to look pretty.
2. Of course, a new bike would be great, but I have nothing against riding a used bike if it is in very good condition and still has a long life left on it.

I know no matter what bike I ride, I will be tired, sore, and a bit beaten up after such a long ride. But my current bike is an early 90s aluminum Cannondale R600, and after my 100 mile ride, I was extremely sore and felt beaten up. This bike didn't even have a carbon fork, so you can imagine the discomfort. Compared to this bike, just about anything new and decent will be better.

If someone here regularly does very long rides and has a strong (or not so strong) opinion on what bike fits this bill, please reply.

Thanks and have a great time thinking for my reply;) .

Get a nice used 2-4 year old model from EBay. Ask lots of questions, and ask for references for such a big dollar purchase.

But you can get a LOT of bike for $1500 used ..........

For long rides, think about frame construction/materials more than weight. I ride a Cannondale 2.8 and I know how they can beat you up. I really love steel as a frame material, and I do believe that it is more comfortable. Perhaps you might consider finding a steel frame (or have one custom built for you) and switching your components / wheels over to the new frame? If you need parts, you could either buy a component set, or piece one together off of ebay.