General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What causes a "stitch" in your side during exercise?

Started by Tim Campbell · · Last activity · 9 posts · 795 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 September 2005
Last activity
24 September 2005
Original author
Tim Campbell
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
795
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Dear Yahoo!:
    What causes a "stitch" in your side during exercise?
    Jack

    Dear Jack:
    A side stitch is a piercing sensation just below the ribcage, usually
    felt when you're running. In the past, several different theories tried
    to explain the cause: trapped gas, swollen liver, stomach muscle
    cramps. However a recent and fairly conclusive theory holds that strain
    on the ligaments connecting the liver to the diaphragm is the cause.
    The liver "hangs" from the diaphragm by fibrous bands called ligaments.
    Running exerts a steady downward force on your liver, stretching these
    ligaments. In addition, when you exhale (usually as your left foot hits
    the ground), your diaphragm is pushed up. That means your liver falls
    with gravity as your diaphragm rises, placing considerable strain on
    those poor ligaments.

    The result? A stitch. The cure? Stop running immediately and press your
    hand just below the pain. This should raise your liver up, relieving
    the strain on the ligaments. Inhale and exhale evenly as you press
    down.

    As a preventive measure, take deep, full breaths while running. If you
    take shallow breaths, your diaphragm is consistently raised, which
    wreaks havoc on your ligaments. Exercise is great, but remember to be
    kind to the rubber bands keeping your organs in place.

  2. Tim Campbell said:

    What causes a "stitch" in your side during exercise?

    Tim, how did you get so smart?

    tkb

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tim Campbell said:

    Exercise is great, but remember to be
    kind to the rubber bands keeping your organs in place.

    I just looked inside and I don't have rubber bands. They're orange and
    blue bungee cords and they're no where near my organ.

    --
    "Drugs like nicotine and alcohol, which do nothing for you at all,
    are legal. Drugs like Mary Jane and mushrooms, two drugs that make
    you realize that you're being dry humped every day of your life
    by the upper 2%, are illegal. Coincidence?" -- Miss Anne Thrope

  4. Tim Campbell said:

    Dear Yahoo!:
    What causes a "stitch" in your side during exercise?
    Jack

    Dear Jack:
    A side stitch is a piercing sensation just below the ribcage, usually
    felt when you're running. In the past, several different theories tried
    to explain the cause: trapped gas, swollen liver, stomach muscle
    cramps. However a recent and fairly conclusive theory holds that strain
    on the ligaments connecting the liver to the diaphragm is the cause.
    The liver "hangs" from the diaphragm by fibrous bands called ligaments.
    Running exerts a steady downward force on your liver, stretching these
    ligaments. In addition, when you exhale (usually as your left foot hits
    the ground), your diaphragm is pushed up. That means your liver falls
    with gravity as your diaphragm rises, placing considerable strain on
    those poor ligaments.

    The result? A stitch. The cure? Stop running immediately and press your
    hand just below the pain. This should raise your liver up, relieving
    the strain on the ligaments. Inhale and exhale evenly as you press
    down.

    As a preventive measure, take deep, full breaths while running. If you
    take shallow breaths, your diaphragm is consistently raised, which
    wreaks havoc on your ligaments. Exercise is great, but remember to be
    kind to the rubber bands keeping your organs in place.

    Since most people have their liver on the right side of their body, does
    this mean that no one gets a stitch on their left side? I think they do.

    A bouncing liver might be one source of a stitch, but I'm sure there are
    other causes too. I've also heard that this could be due to a
    strain/tear of the muscles between the ribs (from deep breathing), or
    from a small infarct in the diaphragm (due to lack of oxygen). Either
    way, they hurt.

  5. I've had side stitches, but never on the left side. I don't know what
    causes them, but I know they mostly affect new runners and almost
    always go away after one has gotten in decent shape.

  6. I'm in reasonable shape these days but still get stitch if I run too soon
    after a meal, or if I've been working on my abs in the gym earlier that day.
    "John B." <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've had side stitches, but never on the left side. I don't know what
    causes them, but I know they mostly affect new runners and almost
    always go away after one has gotten in decent shape.

  7. ash said:

    I'm in reasonable shape these days but still get stitch if I run too soon
    after a meal,

    We all do.

  8. Tim Campbell said:

    Dear Yahoo!:
    What causes a "stitch" in your side during exercise?
    Jack

    I get headaches from reading some of these posts.

  9. ash said:

    That will keep you quiet for a while then.

    Actually, I think he'll whine even more.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.