what chain to get

Canzures

Nov 16, 2003
i'm a newb when it comes to working on my bike but i'm trying. I have a set of tire repair kit (seat bag, tube, patch kit, allen set, multitool). all i need now is a replacement chain for that long back country ride. I'm looking for a chain and noticed the different specs such as: 10speed, 9 speed and 8 speed specific.

what do I have? i have a double chainring compact with an 8 speed cassete(8 different cogs on the rear). so which replacement chain should I get? also is there a chain that doesn't require a chain tool to replace?

what about this, it seems like it doesn't require a chain tool for replacement:
http://www.rei.com/product/761160

thanks for all the help,
chris

SRAM PC-68 (although someone told me it isn't made any more, the shops still sell me them, so I guess you want it's replacement.)

threaded said:
SRAM PC-68 (although someone told me it isn't made any more, the shops still sell me them, so I guess you want it's replacement.)
I pciked up one at Jenson USA for a winter project bike. $12 for the PC830.

Canzures said:
i'm a newb when it comes to working on my bike but i'm trying. I have a set of tire repair kit (seat bag, tube, patch kit, allen set, multitool). all i need now is a replacement chain for that long back country ride. I'm looking for a chain and noticed the different specs such as: 10speed, 9 speed and 8 speed specific.

what do I have? i have a double chainring compact with an 8 speed cassete(8 different cogs on the rear). so which replacement chain should I get? also is there a chain that doesn't require a chain tool to replace?

what about this, it seems like it doesn't require a chain tool for replacement:
http://www.rei.com/product/761160

thanks for all the help,
chris
it won't require a tool to install, but you may need to remove a few links which will require a tool.

PeterF said:
it won't require a tool to install, but you may need to remove a few links which will require a tool.

Could a 9 or 10 speed chain be used in a 8speed drivetrain? What would be the consequences?

PeterF said:

Could a 9 or 10 speed chain be used in a 8speed drivetrain? What would be the consequences?

You may try, but in 98% cases you'll find out that the chain doesn't even climb onto the sprocket. The sprocket is too large for the 10 sp chain...

thanks for the help....now I know that our dravetrain is determined by the number of sprockets in the cassette. thanks