What did I do wrong on this ride

Caden

Jun 30, 2006
I posted this question over in nutrition, but didn't get any responses (it's a gross subject, I'll admit). I did a 45km leg of a triathlon (the cycle bit) and this was my first race. I took with me two large-size bottles filled with water mixed with a packet powder called Electrolyte Stamina. I drank both during the course of the ride. Felt fine during and after.

A couple hours post-race I had a problem. I won't go into detail but suffice it to say I didn't have to go #1 the whole time but all that fluid needed to go *somewhere*.

Now, gross-out jokes aside -- was this a result of drinking all electro-water? Or something else?

Caden said:
I posted this question over in nutrition, but didn't get any responses (it's a gross subject, I'll admit). I did a 45km leg of a triathlon (the cycle bit) and this was my first race. I took with me two large-size bottles filled with water mixed with a packet powder called Electrolyte Stamina. I drank both during the course of the ride. Felt fine during and after.

A couple hours post-race I had a problem. I won't go into detail but suffice it to say I didn't have to go #1 the whole time but all that fluid needed to go *somewhere*.

Now, gross-out jokes aside -- was this a result of drinking all electro-water? Or something else?
I don't have a lot of experience with that specific brand of electrolyte powder, but, nonetheless, an electrolyte mix really shouldn't do that to you. The reason you can drink so much without having to go is because you usually sweat it out fast enough to keep it in check for a good long while (3-4 hours at least in most cases).

Are you very new to cycling, and endurance exersize in general? If so, it could be just a reacton from a body that's not used to that kind of effort (trust me, it doesn't take a lot to mess up a body that's not used to endurance exersize -- I've never had that problem, but I've had some strange things happen when I first started running, and this was no more than 4-5 miles, which isn't a whole lot for a regular runner).

My other thought is it may have been something you ate, bad water, a very mild case of food poisoning, or a whole myriad of other things that would normally do this to you, not at all connected to cycling or the electrolyte mix, or something minor that was amplified by the cycling or mix.

All that to say, I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again.

Caden said:
Caden,

In my experience, there have been several reasons why fluids seem to route the wrong way. While I am not a medical professional, these possibilities may give you something to focus on.

Your body is trying to get rid of something it perceives as a threat. Such as a virus; like influenza. Other things could also include: bad foodstuffs, contaminated food, ingested allergens, bacteria, etc. Even a new ingredient/product can cause your system to go on the defensive. I would suggest that you only use the products that you train with, to reduce this factor.

You should try to be as careful as possible when handling your food (in preperation and on the road). Something as simple as the oils from a sweaty brow finding its way to your food (via the hand your wiped the sweat with) can possibly have you leaving the course in distress.

-GN

How clean were the bottles you used? If they have been used to store sweetened drinks before and not washed out thoroughly, then you can get bacteria breeding in the residue that's left behind. This could be the cause of your problem.

Caden said:

I had this kind of issue when I changed to a different carb drink.

You might need to experiment, with small doses of course, to see what works best for you...

The best time to do this is during training. Save the "known quantity" for races.

Jim

i may be off my rocker...

and i dont know your size, power output, ambient tempertature, gradient of elevation, etc etc etc...

but two large water bottles over just 27 miles seems like quite a bit.

ive been on 60 mile power rides and not consumed that much (ambient temp being ~90F).

what i am proposing is- you over hydrated. you upset the delicate fluid level and your body went into "DUMP" mode. complicate that with the level of excersion you are (or are not) used to, the electrolytic mix of the ingredients...

and you've got your self one hell of a salt/fluid/equilibrium act that your body just freaked out over.

yes, hydration is INCREDIBLY important. but ive seen novice runners stop at each water station and pound down a few cups. by the third water station- they cant run another step.

GI (gastro-intestinal) discomfort soon follows.... and the quickest way to dump a lot water is not through the filtration system of the kidneys/bladder/et al... but straight into (and usually immediately through) the colon.

too much fluid can be just as hazardous as too little.

my $.02