General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What do you listen to while you cook?

Started by maxine in ri · · Last activity · 73 posts · 500 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 March 2007
Last activity
8 April 2007
Original author
maxine in ri
Posts
73
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
500
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 73
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    maxine in ri

  2. maxine in ri said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    King of Queens reruns (gosh that show is funny), Larry King, Greta, or
    QVC or the Food Channel. I guess I listen to the TV.

    Karen

  3. maxine in ri said...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    maxine in ri

    I have the iPod connected to the Bose wave radio, blasting random(3000) tunes
    at maximum volume.

    Andy

  4. "maxine in ri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    Usually I'm listening to my smoke alarm...

  5. maxine in ri said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background.  DH prefers
    classical music.

    maxine in ri

    all sorts of stuff, today I have Celtic woman, a new Journey on and
    also some george Winston
    Rosie

  6. maxine in ri said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    maxine in ri

    We listen to TV or if it['s music, usually listen to Loreena
    McKennitt, Lagan soundtrack, or possibly classical piano. If I need some
    energy, I'll pop in some bellydancing CDs (Arabic to Indian)

    It also depends WHAT I'm cooking. Sometimes I like to set a complete
    mood with the music and food matching. I little Edith Piaf for a French
    dinner. Indian music for an Indian meal. DH does massage so we also play
    quiet music that sounds a bit Zen-like or Asian, maybe Nativer American
    flute and drum, with lots of nature sounds.

    Melondy

  7. maxine in ri said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    maxine in ri

    Far too often - the smoke detector.

  8. maxine in ri said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    I listen to the food. They tell me who the bad people are.

    -sw

  9. maxine in ri said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    Usually, I sing. Mostly, I only listen to music when I'm at my
    computer, because if I put the radio on loudly enough to hear it, I
    worry that it will disturb James, who is usually working while I cook.

    When I'm home alone, though, I often have CDs going -- lately, a lot
    of Ani DiFranco and Nanci Griffith and John Gorka.

    Serene

  10. On Mar 26, 10:00 am, Melondy <[email hidden]> wrote:
    We listen to TV or if it['s music, usually listen to Loreena

    Quoted message said:

    McKennitt, Lagan soundtrack, or possibly classical piano. If I need some
    energy, I'll pop in some bellydancing CDs (Arabic to Indian)

    I love the Lagaan soundtrack! I just bought the CD and listen to it at
    work all the time.

    Karen

  11. "maxine in ri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    My cats singing to me. 🙂 "All Things Considered" is on too early here
    to accompany my cooking.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  12. On Mar 26, 11:25 am, "maxine in ri" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    The jazz station from a local university.

    David

  13. cybercat said:

    "Curt Nelson" <X> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "maxine in ri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    Usually I'm listening to my smoke alarm...

    hahaha!! Put some water in the bottom of the roasting pan!

    Not always the problem. I had problems when broiling, setting off the smoke
    alarm. No trace of visible smoke, and no objectionable odors. But it still
    went off.

    The normal smoke detector is the ionization type, and it is very sensitive
    to cooking.
    After two of these, the second of which was for kitchen areas I finally got
    a photoelectric type. It doesn't have all the false alarms that the
    ionization type was giving me. But even it will go off sometimes when I am
    using my wok.

    On the music thing, I listen to classical mostly.

    --
    wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

  14. dtwright37 wrote on 26 Mar 2007 10:46:34 -0700:

    d> The jazz station from a local university.

    That's not a bad choice but I also listen to the same things as
    I do when not cooking: classical music from WBJC in Baltimore
    or, occasionally, WETA in Washington, DC.

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

  15. maxine in ri said:


    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    Nothing. My stereo is in the family room. I have speakers there and in the
    living room, the later being next to the kitchen. I have to turn it up to
    loud to be able to hear it clearly in the kitchen. We have a small radio in
    the kitchen but the sound quality is the pits. I tend to find the radio
    shows and music distracting when cooking. Perhaps the problem is that I do
    not like music as background because it becomes just that, noise. If I am
    listening to music, I like it to be cranked up so that it is what I am
    listening to rather than just additional sounds happening around me.

  16. "Curt Nelson" <X> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "maxine in ri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    Usually I'm listening to my smoke alarm...

    hahaha!! Put some water in the bottom of the roasting pan!

  17. www.kalx.org
    www.kfjc.org

    They got everything you need to cook by.

    Steve

  18. maxine in ri said:


    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    maxine in ri

    Normal background here is the jazz channel from the digital cable.

    Pete C.

  19. maxine in ri said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    maxine in ri

    The sounds of my family having fun in the other room without me. Or my
    two year old standing by the baby gate yelling "juice! cracker! juice!
    Cracker! Thank you very much!"

  20. Curt Nelson said:

    "maxine in ri" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually have NPR yakity-yack on in the background. DH prefers
    classical music.

    Usually I'm listening to my smoke alarm...

    ROFL! It's not a timer.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.