What do YOU think about drafting in traffic

BimmsAndBices

Sep 10, 2005
I just love large SUVs, camper vans, RVs, box trucks and the like. The occasional dumbass luxo-ute or schoolbus driver gets ****** at me, but in my opinion, the 40+ mph sprints are worth it.

I'm not sure if it's actually legal in my area, I MIGHT stop if I ever get pulled over for it. So what about you? Do you do it, is it legal, do you feel it's safe? Let's hear it.

It's not legal in any state or province. Ninety-nine plus percent don't do it, and yes it's fun, dumb, and unsafe. There's enough motorist angst as it is, let's not make it worse.

BimmsAndBices said:
I just love large SUVs, camper vans, RVs, box trucks and the like. The occasional dumbass luxo-ute or schoolbus driver gets ****** at me, but in my opinion, the 40+ mph sprints are worth it.

I'm not sure if it's actually legal in my area, I MIGHT stop if I ever get pulled over for it. So what about you? Do you do it, is it legal, do you feel it's safe? Let's hear it.

It's a toss-up as to who could possibly be the bigger dumbass: you or the luxo-ute driver. I haven't seen the luxo-ute drive in action, so he or she still has the potential to be a courteous road user. You however have already demonstrated your ******** potential.

BimmsAndBices said:

I think this is a good time to watch the video of bike messengers in NYC on crack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2ygFn-yR8. Are you one such rider BimmsAndBices? :D

TheDarkLord said:
I think this is a good time to watch the video of bike messengers in NYC on crack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR2ygFn-yR8. Are you one such rider BimmsAndBices? :D
Damn, that looked choreographed. Surprised they didn't take out any peds at the first crosswalk. Nah, I limit my "dangerous" activity to drafting, none of that red running or weaving for me.

Hey I often draft behind buses especially in the morning commute, when it's 6:00 am and these old muscles havent warmed up yet :D

If you're careful you can get up to a nice speed, and I dont care what other motorists think when they see me !!:p They hate us anyway...if some of them laugh, good, I'm glad i've alleviated their boredom...

I prefer drafing out of traffic behind imaginary vehicles such as a bus load of naked swimsuit models.
It is a bit more tiring but safer as long as they don't press their large breast against the windows which tends to distract me.

Let us be perfectly honest - we have all done this once or twice. And it is thrilling to build up speed behind a city bus.

But then we get over it, having done it and survived to tell others about it. I would not make it a regular part of my training ride, but as another poster said, it is your life.

i felt weird why those driver get ****** while we r juz following behind.....we r not taking their gas away from their gas tank or holding a gun in hand ready to shoot their precious car from behind.....anyway.....the driver here around my state in malaysia was better......at least they smile at you when you overtake them after they stop by.... :)

Out in the country where I live, if I get behind a truck making a turn thru a intersection, hell yea I will draft him, he slows to 10 mph, I grab his wheel and slide out so he can watch me in his mirror, almost always with he will look back with a BIG smile and a wave and I get a free pull up to 40 mph+.

Then as hes pulls away, people only see me pedaling at 35+ and think I'm a bicycle God. :eek::eek::eek:

I've been doing it a lot lately. Since it's spring there are a lot of landscapers out there and their trailers provide a good draft, while still allowing visability. last week a landscaper took me 3 miles through town, and up to 43mph before I decided to pull out as I didn't want to overextend myself. I find myself drafting vehicles every ride now, I probably shouldn't do it that often.

On a side note, when I was 17 I drafted my friend down a big hill at 70mph. So much fun.

Powerful Pete said:
Let us be perfectly honest - we have all done this once or twice. And it is thrilling to build up speed behind a city bus.

But then we get over it, having done it and survived to tell others about it. I would not make it a regular part of my training ride, but as another poster said, it is your life.

What Pete said. Its a rush to do it, and I've done it a couple times, but its not something I do anymore. I have to ride though a little traffic to get out to my training routes and I've seen enough in years doing that to not tempt my fate amongst it.

All it takes is one jackass to tap the brakes when you least expect it.

...But I'm guilty of doing it occasionally.

gggossel said:
All it takes is one jackass to tap the brakes when you least expect it.

...But I'm guilty of doing it occasionally.
^^^^ what he said!!!!
Its definately fun , but have to be really careful.

Not sure why this post makes me laugh. I'm not sure it makes sense to suck up the fumes of a large vehicle for thrills but I guess that turns some people on. Adrenaline rush and fumes. Kind of stupid but maybe if you inhale enough of it your brain cell count will go down.

While reading this thread I just got images of that scene in Mr Beans Holiday where he latches on to the back of that truck while trying to retrieve his bus ticket!

I've never tried drafting. It's stupid, unsafe and pretty dumb yeah but the thrill must be pretty good.