What fork rake for Soma Smoothie frame?

al77

Guest
Hi, I'm soon to be the proud owner of a Soma Smoothie frame. I
couldn't stretch to the cost of the carbon fork & will pick one up
here in the UK instead. Can anyone guide me as to what fork rake to
look for?

I'm getting the 56cm frame. The specs say it has a Head Angle of 73.5
& a Headtube length of 15.5mm if that helps.

Frame specs at http://www.somafab.com/geometry03.html It's the
Smoothie (road race) version with compact geometry.

I've emailed Soma but they might not reply so quickly & I have a
reasonable offer on some carbon forks with 43mm rake at the moment.

thanks for any help, Alan

On Apr 17, 2:59 pm, al77 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi, I'm soon to be the proud owner of a Soma Smoothie frame. I
> couldn't stretch to the cost of the carbon fork & will pick one up
> here in the UK instead. Can anyone guide me as to what fork rake to
> look for?
>
> I'm getting the 56cm frame. The specs say it has a Head Angle of 73.5
> & a Headtube length of 15.5mm if that helps.
>
> Frame specs athttp://www.somafab.com/geometry03.html It's the
> Smoothie (road race) version with compact geometry.
>
> I've emailed Soma but they might not reply so quickly & I have a
> reasonable offer on some carbon forks with 43mm rake at the moment.

Soma site recommends 43mm for that frame size. If you're not racing,
want to save some dough, and want something shiny, a Tange chromed
cromo fork can be had for peanuts. It's got a 50mm rake AFAIK, so
perhaps slightly less racy handling, though I personally probably
couldn't tell the difference.

On 17 Apr, 23:48, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2:59 pm, al77 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm soon to be the proud owner of a Soma Smoothie frame. I
> > couldn't stretch to the cost of the carbon fork & will pick one up
> > here in the UK instead. Can anyone guide me as to what fork rake to
> > look for?

> > I'm getting the 56cm frame. The specs say it has a Head Angle of 73.5
> > & a Headtube length of 15.5mm if that helps.

> > Frame specs athttp://www.somafab.com/geometry03.htmlIt's the
> > Smoothie (road race) version with compact geometry.

> > I've emailed Soma but they might not reply so quickly & I have a
> > reasonable offer on some carbon forks with 43mm rake at the moment.

> Soma site recommends 43mm for that frame size. If you're not racing,
> want to save some dough, and want something shiny, a Tange chromed
> cromo fork can be had for peanuts. It's got a 50mm rake AFAIK, so
> perhaps slightly less racy handling, though I personally probably
> couldn't tell the difference.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that info on their site, Alan

On 17 Apr 2007 12:59:54 -0700, al77 <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, I'm soon to be the proud owner of a Soma Smoothie frame. I
>couldn't stretch to the cost of the carbon fork & will pick one up
>here in the UK instead. Can anyone guide me as to what fork rake to
>look for?
>
>I'm getting the 56cm frame. The specs say it has a Head Angle of 73.5
>& a Headtube length of 15.5mm if that helps.
>
>Frame specs at http://www.somafab.com/geometry03.html It's the
>Smoothie (road race) version with compact geometry.

I have a 2007 Smoothie and use the recommended 43 mm take. Their
Tange Prestige fork with alloy steertube was a disappointment. Even
though they advertise the frame would take 700x28 wheels, the
recommended front fork will not. I think its width is 32 mm which
isn't enought. It didn't even take 700x25 Michelin Krylion Carbon
(26 mm). The rear takes 28 and even some 32s.

I was fortunate to be able to find an all CF Cannondale fork which has
plenty of room for wider tires.