What gives with George's left leg???

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:
:> Steady Rollin' Man wrote:
:>>
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/sep05/sanfrangp05/?id=15-hincapie-IMG_5493
:>
:> Varicose veins develop when gravity wins from normal valve operation
:> in
:> smaller superficial veins. That means either the muscles don't help
:> enough
:> with the returning blood flow, or the valves are too weak, or the
:> blood is
:> too heavy. So, it's clear photographic evidence of EPO abuse.
:>

I have some varicose veins....but have never used EPO.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Varicose veins develop when gravity wins from normal valve
>>> operation in smaller superficial veins. That means either the
>>> muscles don't help enough with the returning blood flow,
>>> or the valves are too weak, or the blood is too heavy.
>>> So, it's clear photographic evidence of EPO abuse.

> I have some varicose veins....but have never used EPO.

Prove it.

3

He's becoming Sean Yates.

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 19:09:38 +0200, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Roger Zoul wrote:

>> I have some varicose veins....but have never used EPO.

>Prove it.

will you marry me?

Robert Chung wrote:
:: Roger Zoul wrote:
::: Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:
::::: Varicose veins develop when gravity wins from normal valve
::::: operation in smaller superficial veins. That means either the
::::: muscles don't help enough with the returning blood flow,
::::: or the valves are too weak, or the blood is too heavy.
::::: So, it's clear photographic evidence of EPO abuse.
::
::: I have some varicose veins....but have never used EPO.
::
:: Prove it.

I don't race....

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:18:34 +0200, Ewoud Dronkert
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Steady Rollin' Man wrote:
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/sep05/sanfrangp05/?id=15-hincapie-IMG_5493

>Varicose veins develop when gravity wins from normal valve operation in
>smaller superficial veins. That means either the muscles don't help enough
>with the returning blood flow, or the valves are too weak, or the blood is
>too heavy. So, it's clear photographic evidence of EPO abuse.

http://www.53x12.com/img/uploaded/article/1/pump2.jpg

-jet

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:42:12 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Robert Chung wrote:
>:: Roger Zoul wrote:
>::: Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:
>::::: Varicose veins develop when gravity wins from normal valve
>::::: operation in smaller superficial veins. That means either the
>::::: muscles don't help enough with the returning blood flow,
>::::: or the valves are too weak, or the blood is too heavy.
>::::: So, it's clear photographic evidence of EPO abuse.
>::
>::: I have some varicose veins....but have never used EPO.
>::
>:: Prove it.
>
>I don't race....

which makes it even worse :-(

Lol, j/k

Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
> Robert Chung wrote:
> :: Roger Zoul wrote:
> ::: Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> wrote:
> ::::: Varicose veins develop when gravity wins from normal valve
> ::::: operation in smaller superficial veins. That means either the
> ::::: muscles don't help enough with the returning blood flow,
> ::::: or the valves are too weak, or the blood is too heavy.
> ::::: So, it's clear photographic evidence of EPO abuse.
> ::
> ::: I have some varicose veins....but have never used EPO.
> ::
> :: Prove it.

> I don't race....

I know this is all in jest, but there are lots of people
that dope for cosmetic reasons only ie to look more
muscular.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> Steady Rollin' Man wrote:

>>http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/sep05/sanfrangp05/?id=15-hincapie-IMG_5493

> Varicose veins develop when gravity wins from normal valve operation in
> smaller superficial veins. That means either the muscles don't help enough
> with the returning blood flow, or the valves are too weak, or the blood is
> too heavy. So, it's clear photographic evidence of EPO abuse.

EPO? I just think he forgot to do his ironing.

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:27:00 +0200, Ewoud Dronkert
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Marlene Blanshay wrote:
>> It looks like some kind of old injury....

>http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/04tourSt18-011000
>http://groups.google.com/groups?q=hincapie+varicose+group:rec.bicycles.racing

Some nationalities seem to report higher than normal development of
varicosity, so there's a genetic component.

Hypothetically, couple genetic predisposition, use of somatotrophic
substances, presence of blood thickened due to hypoxic training, or oxygen
vector substances, it's not hard to imagine overdevelopment of superficial
saphenous veins as the body's response to stress on the system.

The kind of veins you see on cyclists may not be varicosities in the
classical sense, where the venous walls and valves have lost their
function. Quite the contrary, additional valve development and hypertrophy
of the vein itself would be an attempt at an adaptive mechanism to move the
thickened blood back to the heart.

I'd imagine that if this vein was nonfunctional it would have been
considered a candidate for the various treatments, including laser surgery,
or surgical reduction. After the cyclist's career is completed, it would be
a simple matter to resect the vein to a normal length even if for cosmetic
reasons. The saphenous vein is often used as a donor for heart surgeries.

Just some wild conjecture, fwiw. ;-)

jj