UK and Europe · Public discussion

What have I done ?(folder)

Started by Martinm · · Last activity · 7 posts · 780 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
11 March 2004
Last activity
12 March 2004
Original author
Martinm
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
780
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Having decided that I could not warrant a Brommie I spent
    half as much on a Giant Folding. Now this is not the
    Halfway but a 20" alloy framed oddity which features a non-
    folding handlebar stem (has a tool free bolt and you yank
    the whole stem out), a basic bifold frame/telescopic
    seatpin and 6 speed twist grip. It has a really bizzare
    rear hub brake, GOK where I will get spares for that.
    Anyone else got/seen one?

  2. MartinM said:


    Having decided that I could not warrant a Brommie I spent
    half as much on a Giant Folding. Now this is not the
    Halfway but a 20" alloy framed oddity which features a non-
    folding handlebar stem (has a tool free bolt and you yank
    the whole stem out), a basic bifold frame/telescopic
    seatpin and 6 speed twist grip. It has a really bizzare
    rear hub brake, GOK where I will get spares for that.
    Anyone else got/seen one?

    Might be worth looking at the Folding Society or asking
    around there.

    foldsoc.co.ukfoldsoc.co.uk

    John B

  3. In message
    <[email hidden]>, MartinM
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    It has a really bizzare rear hub brake, GOK where I will
    get spares for that. Anyone else got/seen one?

    what's bizarre about it?
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  4. chris French <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In message
    <[email hidden]>, MartinM
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    It has a really bizzare rear hub brake, GOK where I will
    get spares for that. Anyone else got/seen one?

    what's bizarre about it?

    Nothing like a normal hub brake; it has a rubber friction
    band around the outside of a drum which tightens when you
    pull the lever, all contained within a plastic cowl.

  5. in message <[email hidden]>, MartinM

    (') said:

    chris French <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In message
    <[email hidden]>,
    MartinM <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    It has a really bizzare rear hub brake, GOK where I will
    get spares for that. Anyone else got/seen one?

    what's bizarre about it?

    Nothing like a normal hub brake; it has a rubber friction
    band around the outside of a drum which tightens when you
    pull the lever, all contained within a plastic cowl.

    I used to have a vintage Harley Davidson (1921 model) which
    had one of those. The 'brake' was a strap that wrapped round
    the outside of a drum. Fortunately, the beast had excellent
    engine braking...

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke)
    jasmine.org.uk~simon

    Error 1109: There is no message for this error

  6. Simon Brooke <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    in message
    <[email hidden]>, MartinM

    (') said:

    chris French <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In message
    <[email hidden]>,
    MartinM <[email hidden]> writes

    >It has a really bizzare rear hub brake, GOK where I
    >will get spares for that. Anyone else got/seen one?

    what's bizarre about it?

    Nothing like a normal hub brake; it has a rubber
    friction band around the outside of a drum which
    tightens when you pull the lever, all contained within a
    plastic cowl.

    I used to have a vintage Harley Davidson (1921 model)
    which had one of those. The 'brake' was a strap that
    wrapped round the outside of a drum. Fortunately, the
    beast had excellent engine braking...

    this works Ok but squeals a lot. Thinking about it I've seen
    the design on very old wooden wheeled vehicles. The front
    brake is conventional Chinese single pull calliper, rubbish
    but adequate. If I had to ditch the drum brake is there such
    a thing as a V-brake adaptor to attach posts to the rear
    stays or do they need welding on?

  7. Simon Brooke <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    in message
    <[email hidden]>, MartinM

    (') said:

    chris French <[email hidden]> wrote
    in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In message
    <[email hidden]>,
    MartinM <[email hidden]> writes

    >It has a really bizzare rear hub brake, GOK where I
    >will get spares for that. Anyone else got/seen one?

    what's bizarre about it?

    Nothing like a normal hub brake; it has a rubber
    friction band around the outside of a drum which
    tightens when you pull the lever, all contained within a
    plastic cowl.

    I used to have a vintage Harley Davidson (1921 model)
    which had one of those. The 'brake' was a strap that
    wrapped round the outside of a drum. Fortunately, the
    beast had excellent engine braking...

    this works Ok but squeals a lot. Thinking about it I've seen
    the design on very old wooden wheeled vehicles. The front
    brake is conventional Chinese single pull calliper, rubbish
    but adequate. If I had to ditch the drum brake is there such
    a thing as a V-brake adaptor to attach posts to the rear
    stays or do they need welding on?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.