What is meant by a wheel being compliant?

Biker Joe said:
My hypothesis is that the signal to noise ratio on this forum is way out of control.

Alienator and John Swanson are a breath of fresh air. Why all the argumentative BS? Why do so many folks have such a problem understanding rational analysis or exprimental testing? It's not that hard folks.
I am not denying the validity of those data. Data stand for the specific test conditions they were set up for. But they are inadequate proof for the ride feel difference b/n deep and shallow rims. You can take the term compliance by strict engineering definition, or by what people often use it for, to describe a less jarring ride. And as much as there's subjectivity and placebo with biological system, one can't absolutely deny the presence of a phenomenon on the basis of one set of experimental parameter. I think ScienceIsCool is correct in formulating a new set of hypothesis for the new data and test condition. The accelerometer data may deny or confirm a difference, but it'll still be open to argument as to just exactly what a rider felt. Categorically deny the presence of such a difference based on just rim deflection data (what's been done up to this point) is unscientific.

Biker Joe said:
My hypothesis is that the signal to noise ratio on this forum is way out of control.
Even academic conferences have a component of noise. What did you expect from an internet forum? :confused:

sogood said:
I am not denying the validity of those data. Data stand for the specific test conditions they were set up for. But they are inadequate proof for the ride feel difference b/n deep and shallow rims. You can take the term compliance by strict engineering definition, or by what people often use it for, to describe a less jarring ride. And as much as there's subjectivity and placebo with biological system, one can't absolutely deny the presence of a phenomenon on the basis of one set of experimental parameter. I think ScienceIsCool is correct in formulating a new set of hypothesis for the new data and test condition. The accelerometer data may deny or confirm a difference, but it'll still be open to argument as to just exactly what a rider felt. Categorically deny the presence of such a difference based on just rim deflection data (what's been done up to this point) is unscientific.

While data represent results under specific conditions, if all variables are accounted for and there is only one independent variable, then that variable is true for all conditions assuming that variable's behavior is described completely or sufficiently. In the case of my data, the independent variable is energy. Energy input into a wheel results in a force being applied at the axle/dropout interface, or if you wish, and acceleration of the axle, in the direction of the force. There is no ambiguity about that.

True, this test doesn't say what a rider felt, but it does say what a rider didn't feel: that the deep rim did not necessarily result in the "poor ride." In fact, it confirms what rational people have long suspected: that riders cannot accurately determine the reasons for a certain bike response or differences in a bike's response based soley on what they "feel." In other words, it confirms that human beings suck as accurate sensors, that they are in fact, wildly inaccurate.

For the record, my tests also quantify damping coefficients for the three wheels, so the behavior of the wheels is even better defined. The damping coeffients are only relative to the test, but this is often the case with any test procedure. Completely defining the wheels' vibrational behavior was not possible as I couldn't obtain, in time, the equipment necessary to find the harmonic modes of each wheel and thus define their fundamental modes.

Believe it or not, scientists and engineers actually do tests to replicate real world phenomena, and we make great efforts to construct said tests to reflect real world conditions and to evaluate the results in terms meaningful in the real world. This is one thing that non-scientists and no-engineers don't seem to get: we don't make **** up and test it just for giggles. In fact, it's pretty damned hard to get any research money for anything that doesn't have a real world application. It can be done, but it's a challenge.

I'm in the process of setting up for calibrating an instrument that measures displacement and has a resolution of 1.6 picometers. That's 0.016 times the diameter of a hydrogen atom. The science and data we'll get will be really cool and will be the sort of stuff that gives us scientists stiffies. However, we didn't get the money just to see how fine of a displacement we could optically measure: we got the money to produce something for someone. That's how it works. So everything we do, every result, and every datum will be viewed in real world, operational terms.

So the idea that a test just isn't right, or completely right, because it wasn't done on the road with rider on a bike, is, well, BS. That idea shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what scientific tests are all about. There is nothing unworldly or mysterious about quantifying the behavior of bikes and bike components.

sogood said:
Even academic conferences have a component of noise. What did you expect from an internet forum? :confused:

Scientific and Engineering conferences do have noise, but they also have attendees who are willing to look at things objectively and in terms of real world conditions. That is something that internet forums don't seem to have too much of.

Maybe there should be a conference for forum nay-sayers. They could call it the "What I Felt with My Butt" Conference.

alienator said:
Believe it or not, scientists and engineers actually do tests to replicate real world phenomena, and we make great efforts to construct said tests to reflect real world conditions and to evaluate the results in terms meaningful in the real world.
Yes, most with good intentions. It's probably easier for hardware engineers, but for biological system, the replication may be just a rough approximation.

alienator said:
Scientific and Engineering conferences do have noise, but they also have attendees who are willing to look at things objectively and in terms of real world conditions. That is something that internet forums don't seem to have too much of.

Maybe there should be a conference for forum nay-sayers. They could call it the "What I Felt with My Butt" Conference.
You never know, there may be some worthwhile outcome when one can think out of the box.

Yes, objectivity is exactly that. Until a hypothesis is conclusively refuted, there should always be some reservation. On this question of rim depth and ride characteristic, one side has drawn their conclusion too early, way before all the data are in, and way before proper peer review. That, is not consistent with scientific principle.

SoGood, I think you need to spin it the other way. You've made a subjective observation about the damping characteristics of wheels. Deep rims are "harsh". But you can't rely on subjective observations because they are unreliable and misleading.

So now you have to come up with a hypothesis that can be tested using objective means. Something along the lines of deep rims are stiffer in the vertical plane. Okay. Now test the rims and compare them to your subjective observations. Do they match? No? Okay then. Time for a new hypothesis.

Alienator's take on it was to actually measure the damping characteristics. That's the whole shooting match, in that it directly tests and compares against the initial subjective observations.

The next step, if you want to pursue it, is to come up with some other hypothesis for your subjective observations that *doesn't* rely on damping because that's already been disproven. That's the real challenge. It may just be that your observations are simply "primed" with your expectations of how a wheel *should* feel. This is a common phenomenon and is easily tested by using a blind study.

Thinking outside the box has led to some neat discoveries. But now that Alienator's disproven the core of the deep rims/harsh ride theory, its really up to you (and likeminded people) to start thinking outside the box and come up with a plausible, testable hypothesis.

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com

ScienceIsCool said:
SoGood, I think you need to spin it the other way. You've made a subjective observation about the damping characteristics of wheels. Deep rims are "harsh". But you can't rely on subjective observations because they are unreliable and misleading.
I think my spin is around the correct axis. This ride characteristic issue is a common observation across the net. I have yet to come across one who says the opposite apart from here (based on solitary deflection data). Personally, I don't have enough experience to say either, but given the consistent subjective observation of cyclists out there, there needs to be more data to put it in a myths category (do we need to call in those Mythbusters?). A few min and max deflection data points aren't adequate.

In terms of Alienator's new data. I would certainly like to see it rather than just "I have the data". Like all research, often it can lead to more questions. My mind is open.

sogood said:
I think my spin is around the correct axis. This ride characteristic issue is a common observation across the net. I have yet to come across one who says the opposite apart from here (based on solitary deflection data). Personally, I don't have enough experience to say either, but given the consistent subjective observation of cyclists out there, there needs to be more data to put it in a myths category (do we need to call in those Mythbusters?). A few min and max deflection data points aren't adequate.

In terms of Alienator's new data. I would certainly like to see it rather than just "I have the data". Like all research, often it can lead to more questions. My mind is open.

Well, then, sir. Please educate us all about the value of subjective data, because apparently you have nothing to contribute to the idea of objective data. You have yet to address the issue head on. Instead you talk your way around by implying somehow the data is wrong. You, apparently, don't understand the data, how it was collected, or what holding variables constant means.

Have fun with your subjective data, because you've missed the boat on objectivity.

ScienceIsCool said:
But you can't rely on subjective observations because they are unreliable and misleading.
Well, that is just knocking down strawmen, and an obvious tautology. The question is, if you give a representative set of riders the two different types of wheels to ride on, while not allowing them to see what type of wheel they are riding, will they be able to reliably and reproducibly detect the difference, and what difference do they see? As far as I can see, this experiment has not been performed, so no statement on the accuracy or lack thereof of people's perceptions in that regard is possible. Let's keep an open mind here, shall we...

ScienceIsCool said:
But now that Alienator's disproven the core of the deep rims/harsh ride theory,
I notice that nobody here has been presented any evidence that Alienator has done anything whatsoever of that sort, let alone seen any verifiable data. I would think that it is a bit premature to declare the end of the argument at this stage.

I agree with others in this thread, that the debate here has been almost 100% noise, and next to no substance. I would be thrilled, of course, to see any evidence, one way or the other, for the claims being made

alienator said:
You, apparently, don't understand the data, how it was collected, or what holding variables constant means.
Well, if you show him the data, explain how it was collected, and tell him what variables you held constant, then maybe he would be in a position to oblige you. As it is, he can hardly be blamed for knowing nothing about data that you tell him nothing about. Or am I missing something here?

alienator said:
I have data at home, which I'll dig up, which shows quantitatively that with the same energy input to a deep CF rim and to a traditional box section rim, the resulting force acting on the forks is less for the CF rim than for the box section rim.
Alienator, would you like to hypothesise as to why this is so? This could support the arguments of those who believe that deep carbon rims are comfier, something that has always sounded like BS to me. If it is not vertical compliance difference, then what is it? Is it a big difference, or one near the limits of measurement?

Dietmar said:
The question is, if you give a representative set of riders the two different types of wheels to ride on, while not allowing them to see what type of wheel they are riding, will they be able to reliably and reproducibly detect the difference, and what difference do they see?
Not easily done. There are definitely auditory cues as to the kind of wheel one is riding, and probably also vibrational cues through frame and seat. Is that carbon rumble only heard, or also felt? One could go so far as to suggest that it could be exactly these cues that lead to the subjective differences between wheels.

artemidorus said:
Not easily done. There are definitely auditory cues as to the kind of wheel one is riding, and probably also vibrational cues through frame and seat. Is that carbon rumble only heard, or also felt? One could go so far as to suggest that it could be exactly these cues that lead to the subjective differences between wheels.
Doesn't matter. If the subjects reliably state the same differences, then they can, objectively, differentiate between the two kinds of wheels, which is what this particular argument was about, or so it seemed to me.

alienator said:
Well, then, sir. Please educate us all about the value of subjective data, because apparently you have nothing to contribute to the idea of objective data. You have yet to address the issue head on. Instead you talk your way around by implying somehow the data is wrong...
I never said your or ScienceIsCool's deflection data was wrong. I only said that simple min max deflection may not be the parameter that was sensed by the rider's body. The body may be sensing another or a mix of variables on a ride, including possible placebo effects if one wants to be truly objective.

The key issue in this thread is how definite is the conclusion being drawn. You may have all the data in the world but if you over interpret them, then the conclusion would not be right. At this stage, we are arguing that the conclusion is premature for the available data given.

Dietmar said:
Doesn't matter. If the subjects reliably state the same differences, then they can, objectively, differentiate between the two kinds of wheels, which is what this particular argument was about, or so it seemed to me.
You are correct about the literal argument, which I believe is quite irrelevant. The pragmatic argument is whether any given wheel is more comfortable than another.

artemidorus said:
All very possible. But within the same company, you can get wheels of different rim depths. So the effect may be minimized.

Science has proven disc wheels to be the most compliant of all. These are followed, fourteen orders of magnitude down the Richter scale, by 60mm carbon hoops with 11 spokes (3.5 on the NDS). Next in ability to make you believe you're in a Cadillac CTS on new pavement are the tri-spoke TT wheels and ultra-compliant low-carbon steel 1-1/4" x 27" Schwinn Varsity wheels, vintage 1971 with Schwinn-Approved "Puff" tires at 75 psi.

Also, I have aquired a secret set of data recorded somewhere in a rain forest near Sumatra that shows proof positive that the Portugese have finally developed a wheel specifically tuned to the compliance requirements of rear triangles exhibiting less than 1.4mm of deflection under loading of 160kg! Yes, this is exciting data!

Finally, the least compliant wheels in the universe are Fiamme 280 gram ergal tubular rims with 36 spokes laced 4-cross and tensioned to play Beethoven's piano sonata in A major while descending the south side of the Galibier. Even though they ride like a wet noodle compared to Fulcrum carbon, we could not find a single scientist in the country that could notice any difference at all in triple-blind tests! Not surprisingly, most 7th graders noticed a large difference.

I have the data set to prove it too! Er...somewhere around here...unless the dog ate it. Hey, I used two accelerometers, a half-dozen strain gages, three linear scales calibrated to .00005" and a high-speed camera that prove, scientically, once and for all that I'm right and you are wrong!

I'll post that data tomorrow...or maybe the next day...and don't blame me if it's linked to one of my buddies! Can I help it if he has all the really cool accelerometers?

artemidorus said:
You are correct about the literal argument, which I believe is quite irrelevant. The pragmatic argument is whether any given wheel is more comfortable than another.
One or more randomized double blinded population studies are required...

At the end of the day, irrespective what lab test data shows, if population studies can show a significant difference, then the engineers will just have to go back and see what physical parameter or analytical interpretation they've missed in the testing.

Why don't Paris-Roubaix riders typically use deep rim wheels? I understand that most choose box rims for that race as opposed to any of the deeper rims (non-CF). I may be wrong, but the explanations I've read have all related to ride comfort. Is that not the case?

If that was the reason, then one really has to question whether there's some truth in it or they are all wrong. And then just what they are sensing if min-max deflection wasn't the parameter?