What is the best size frame for me? 168cm Female

el Inglés said:
Buying a bike because it looks good is stupid - there is a lot of attractive **** out there - so don´t dismiss a compact frame for looks , they have a lot of advantages * if made properly ( not all giant clones are faithfull to the design concept )
* it can enable a smaller rider to buy a small frame without having the usual problem of too little distance between the head races and sizing doesnot have to be quite so precise as a standard frame - you can finalise the bar position later with the correct , for you , bar stem at little cost . You can often get abetter frame for your money as the fabricator can concentrate on fewer sizes and the shops on fewer models to stock .

re sizing : I heard inside leg * x 0.65
*inside leg = groin to floor with feet 10cm apart at heels - you will need help for this , believe me .

unless your name is Valverde or Friere then getting the seat height right is the most important the rest is a matter of personal taste or physical weirdness so don´t try to get too scientific about sizing as it tends to be something of a blind alley for most people and more designed about the needs of a few racers than jane public .

remember it´s supposed to be fun , so have some .
=========================================================
Of course most people wouldn't buy a bike JUST on looks:eek:
But who would buy a bike that doesn't look good to them and who would ride a bike that they think doesn't look good - and the ideal is to be riding it right?

For most people(we're not talking Euro pros here) the slight stiffness that might come from a compact frame over a standard frame will make no noticeable riding difference.
Funny how a lot of compact frames now have a carbon rear end that takes away some of the supposed benefit of the short stays.

To my mind - compact frames look stupid :rolleyes:

.67 works for so many people - see other postings, books, and people I've sized for bikes(not for eveyone of course).

Cheers for the replies. After much consideration ive gone for the smaller frame which once we fitted was a far better bike.

I had already chosen the bike i wanted - i was more interestd in the size.

The setup at the shop had been for the longer torso of a male and lower handlebars, once changed it was very comfy! i
I cant wait to pick it up tomorrow morning

Ed: I got an 2006 Avanti Corsa Elite - its silver/white with bits of other colours, it both looks pretty (to me anyway) and is the best of the alloys before hitting carbon, with ultegra shizzle :)

rac_ava_corsaelit.jpg

It looks something like this :)

Bigbananabike said:
=========================================================
Of course most people wouldn't buy a bike JUST on looks:eek:
But who would buy a bike that doesn't look good to them and who would ride a bike that they think doesn't look good - and the ideal is to be riding it right?

For most people(we're not talking Euro pros here) the slight stiffness that might come from a compact frame over a standard frame will make no noticeable riding difference.
Funny how a lot of compact frames now have a carbon rear end that takes away some of the supposed benefit of the short stays.

To my mind - compact frames look stupid :rolleyes:

.67 works for so many people - see other postings, books, and people I've sized for bikes(not for eveyone of course).

Carbon rear ends are cheaper for the fabricator as they can buy in ONE size and cut it to fit ( joint to seat tube ) and as carbon is fashionable ......
Don´t know that in street frames - the pros use different stuff to that sold to the public most of the time , similar but slightly different - there is that much difference in stiffness though there may be a slight , very , difference in weight . The Giant was a thing of its era and it worked but many of it´s copys don´t follow the concept only the style , Giant used very thin walled tubes and the compact was designed around this material .

is there anything that looks more stupid than somebody dressed in cycle clothing ? even the pros look silly but it is the best for riding .

lwedge said:
Mike, she's taken off on her Avanti and can't hear you.:D
Nah went away for holiday and took the bike. Was some nice long dead flat roads out there :)

I got it from avantiplus (avantiplus.co.nz?)

Dont recall if i said before. Its an Avanti Corsa Elite (the elite just makes it special!).
Its a very nice ride, im most happy with it (even if the insureance isnt)

wishes said:
Nah went away for holiday and took the bike. Was some nice long dead flat roads out there :)

Dont recall if i said before. Its an Avanti Corsa Elite (the elite just makes it special!).
Nice bike, great specs. You will have to give Debbie Tanner a run for her money now.:D

Glad you found your bike. Happy Holidays.

I thought she did triathalon more than cycling? I kind of like Sarah Ulmer more :D

Thanks btw, much appretiated. Hope you all have a happy New Year :D

wishes said:

Just curious on the LBS, I use to live in Auckland.

Long dead flat roads, sounds like Northern Watakio.

mikesbytes said:
Just curious on the LBS, I use to live in Auckland.

Long dead flat roads, sounds like Northern Watakio.
LBS? as in lbs/weight ?

benkoostra said:
I use a 56cm frame, but I could just as easily use a 54 with my dimensions, even though I'm 6'0". SO the details matter in how the bike fits, and ultimately how comfortable you are.
Wow, exactly, I'm 5'11" and ride a 58cm

wishes said:
Cheers for the replies. After much consideration ive gone for the smaller frame which once we fitted was a far better bike.

I had already chosen the bike i wanted - i was more interestd in the size.

The setup at the shop had been for the longer torso of a male and lower handlebars, once changed it was very comfy! i
I cant wait to pick it up tomorrow morning

Ed: I got an 2006 Avanti Corsa Elite - its silver/white with bits of other colours, it both looks pretty (to me anyway) and is the best of the alloys before hitting carbon, with ultegra shizzle :)
What is the length of the virtual top tube on the Avanti which you bought?