What is the best wheel set to upgrade to for everyday training.

rabobank89

Aug 9, 2011
Hey guys.

Recently bought a Giant TCR Advanced Rabobank Edition and its currently got a set of Shimano RS20's.

I would like to upgrade the wheel set to carbon but the consensus from everyone I talk to is I will damage and destroy a set of carbon wheels if I use them everyday.

In that case what would be the best wheel set in Aluminium (or carbon for daily duties) you guys think would suit me?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Carbon rims actually have pretty good strength. The issue is usually the proprietaty hubs and spokes they are attached to and whether or not they will be treated with the respect they deserve in training (as commanded by the $2500 plus price tag).

As I have said many times (and as I am sure many forum regulars are sick of reading), there is no better training wheel than a properly hand built one using quality components.

For a third of the price of a factory carbon wheel you can have a durable and easily serviceable 28 or 32 spoke wheel with top end hubs, rim and steel double butted spokes built by someone who knows what they're doing.

In the end you can buy whatever wheels you like, If the money is burning a hole in your pocket then so be it. But I dont see the point in laying out mega $$$ when you can have similar performance and better durability for much much less.

I agree with Tafi, there are rims like the IRD Cadence/Aero series that can come close to the weight of the Carbon for a lot less money, around $600 give or take $150 depending on hubs and spokes you opt for unless you get PowerTap then they will cost $250 more. And some of today's carbon wheels are built in China...I'm a bit skeptical of riding on perhaps made of inferior carbon and manufacturing process, nor do I want to find out the hard way! When carbon breaks it breaks suddenly resulting in a instant crash, whereas aluminum rims would just crack and maybe tweak a little. The IRD's are very strong though.

But if the money is burning your pocket or you need the bling then get a set of carbons, but use the carbons for race events and use your current ones to train on. But as Tafi said, I don't see the point in it either.

Mavic Ksyrium SL ($1000) 1455 gram or Elites ($650) 1550 gram. Currently riding 6 year old Elites that I put on my new LOOK 566. They have about 11-12k miles on them Strong wheel. Have NEVER had to have them trued. I am a 195 lb rider who can be very hard on wheels, jumping curbs, light off roading through construction, decapitating gophers that decide to try and run through the back wheel when I am cruising about 20 mph.

Buying new SLs as soon as I have funds.

Regards,

Mike

You have about $3000 invested in the bicycle. What was your budget for the bicycle you wanted?

My budget includes replacing the rear wheel with a powertap hub, replacing the cassette with one more suitable, replacing the tires, water bottles and cages, pedals, stem and ...

I do my serious riding on Mavic OP rims. So I would get similar wheels as spares if I needed more. (I have 3 rears and 2 fronts now.)

----

If I were into racing I would train on my racing wheels. Get several sets of carbon fiber wheels that you would be proud to race on. And train on them. I guess that blows your budget.

Thanks for the advice guys thus far.

I ended up purchasing a set of Zipp 404 Clinchers to train on. I'd rather train on wheels that I will be racing on to be honest. After much thought and taking my weight into consideration at 63kg I'm light enough not to put strain on the zipps in everyday training. Just have to be careful not to hit any pot holes.

Team Garmin-Cervelo use Mavic Ksyrium Elites. Except for Ksyrium cassette bodies, the ruggedness of Mavic wheels is almost legendary. Just remember to clean and lube the cassette body at least once a year.

On dirty, rugged days I use a set I made of decent 32-hole hubs I pulled out of the trash, Sun-Ringle Assault rims, and lightly double-butted DT spokes.