General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What is the culinary difference...

Started by Wayne Boatwright · · Last activity · 28 posts · 850 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
15 September 2005
Last activity
19 September 2005
Original author
Wayne Boatwright
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
850
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–28 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoted message said:
    Melba's Jammin said:

    Maybe beet sugar is less desirable because it's "so common."
    JMO.

    Some vegans will not eat cane sugar. Apparently *some* cane
    sugar is processed with bone char, which counts as an animal
    product to some vegans, and it's impossible to know if the
    cane sugar you have was processed that way or not. Beet sugar
    is never processed with bone char.

    Actually, the only time I have heard a real preference for
    cane sugar is in soft drinks like Coke where the substitute is
    corn syrup, not beet sugar. Some folks go out of their way to
    buy the "Kosher for Passover" Coke since it has to be made
    with cane sugar for reasons I don't even pretend to understand,
    so I don't know where kosher laws stand with regard to beet sugar.

    Bill Ranck
    Blacksburg, Va.

    Hi Bill.

    It's been a long time since I was a yeshiva boy, but here's my
    recollection.

    When leaving Egypt the Hebrews had no time to let their bread leaven,
    so they made flat bread -- matzo. As a result, leavened products are
    forbidden during Pesach (Passover). Because the leavening begins very
    quickly, practically all grain products are forbidden during Pesach
    (except the very few closely supervised by a rabbibical authority -- in
    practice, only matzo). Five (I believe) grains were commonly known
    (used?) back then: wheat, oats, barley, rye and spelt. They are all
    specifically forbidden. Then there are those things that look like or
    have grain-like properties -- corn, rice, legumes, etc. These are
    called kitnyot and are forbidden by extension. Hence, corn syrup (and
    all corn products) is forbidden during Pesach. There are some
    differences in the extension between Ashkenazim (Central and Eastern
    European Jews) and Sephardim (Oriental Jews -- to include Spanish,
    Italian, Greek, Turkish, Arab Jews and I believe many if not most
    British, French and Dutch Jews). Ashkenaz and Sepharad translate as
    Germany and Spain, respectively). Most American Jews are of Ashkenazi
    backgrounds. Beets and cane don't have grain-like properties, so as
    long as production using them is monitored by a rabbinic authority (to
    ensure nothing improper is introduced) products using them are Kosher
    for Passover.

    -bwg
    "My thoughts are, we're going to get somebody who knows what they're
    talking
    about when it comes to rebuilding cities."
    G.W. Bush

  2. "Christine Dabney" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    ...between cane sugar and beet sugar? Are there noticeable differences in
    cooking properties or taste?

    I have always bought cane sugar and have heard that beet sugar was "less
    desirable". True/false?

    I found the article I read. It was the SF Chronicle.

    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/1999/03/31/FD91867.DTL

    Christine

    That is very interesting.

    Thanks

    Dimitri

  3. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    corn syrup, not beet sugar. Some folks go out of their way to
    buy the "Kosher for Passover" Coke since it has to be made
    with cane sugar for reasons I don't even pretend to understand,
    so I don't know where kosher laws stand with regard to beet sugar.

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Bill.

    Quoted message said:

    It's been a long time since I was a yeshiva boy, but here's my
    recollection.

    Quoted message said:

    When leaving Egypt the Hebrews had no time to let their bread leaven,
    so they made flat bread -- matzo. As a result, leavened products are
    forbidden during Pesach (Passover). Because the leavening begins very
    quickly, practically all grain products are forbidden during Pesach
    (except the very few closely supervised by a rabbibical authority -- in
    practice, only matzo). Five (I believe) grains were commonly known
    (used?) back then: wheat, oats, barley, rye and spelt. They are all
    specifically forbidden. Then there are those things that look like or
    have grain-like properties -- corn, rice, legumes, etc. These are
    called kitnyot and are forbidden by extension. Hence, corn syrup (and
    all corn products) is forbidden during Pesach. There are some
    differences in the extension between Ashkenazim (Central and Eastern
    European Jews) and Sephardim (Oriental Jews -- to include Spanish,
    Italian, Greek, Turkish, Arab Jews and I believe many if not most
    British, French and Dutch Jews). Ashkenaz and Sepharad translate as
    Germany and Spain, respectively). Most American Jews are of Ashkenazi
    backgrounds. Beets and cane don't have grain-like properties, so as
    long as production using them is monitored by a rabbinic authority (to
    ensure nothing improper is introduced) products using them are Kosher
    for Passover.

    Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. I knew there was a rule
    about not using corn syrup, but don't recall ever hearing why.
    Having grown up not to far from NYC I know some of the rules, but
    not always the reasons. I do find this stuff interesting.

    Bill Ranck
    Blacksburg, Va.

  4. Shaun aRe said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ...between cane sugar and beet sugar? Are there noticeable differences in
    cooking properties or taste?

    I have always bought cane sugar and have heard that beet sugar was "less
    desirable". True/false?

    To my taste I cannot tell, to be honest. Far as I was aware they are
    chemically the same sugar - sucrose. So they should not be any different
    culinary, outside of possibly crystal texture... ?

    Shaun aRe

    Correctly refined beet sugar and cane sugar are both sucrose. Cheap
    refiners might produce products that differ chemically but sucrose is
    sucrose.

    Have used both for years, depending on in which country I'm living.
    There has never been a difference in baking, syrups, sweets/candies,
    jams or anything else made with sugar.

    The 'less desireable' is a marketing ploy by the cane sugar refiners.

  5. "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ...between cane sugar and beet sugar? Are there noticeable differences in
    cooking properties or taste?

    I have always bought cane sugar and have heard that beet sugar was "less
    desirable". True/false?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

    According to a pastry chef friend of mine, both cane and beet sugar are
    sucrose. However, there are minute differences that can make a difference in
    the kitchen, depending on what you're using it for. Cane sugar will produce
    superior results in caramelization, in particular. The crystallization
    properties are different as well, which can make a big difference if you're
    making candies or the like.

    HTH,
    kimberly

    Quoted message said:
  6. In article <%boWe.14719$mH.7018@fed1read07>, "Nexis" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    ...between cane sugar and beet sugar? Are there noticeable differences in
    cooking properties or taste?

    I have always bought cane sugar and have heard that beet sugar was "less
    desirable". True/false?

    --
    Wayne Boatwright *¿*
    ____________________________________________

    Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

    According to a pastry chef friend of mine, both cane and beet sugar are
    sucrose. However, there are minute differences that can make a difference in
    the kitchen, depending on what you're using it for. Cane sugar will produce
    superior results in caramelization, in particular. The crystallization
    properties are different as well, which can make a big difference if you're
    making candies or the like.

    HTH,
    kimberly

    Quoted message said:

    And beet sugar smells burnt and bitter while cane sugar smells sweet and
    almost vanilla like.

    marcella

  7. Christine Dabney said:

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:22:11 +0200, jake <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    ...between cane sugar and beet sugar? Are there noticeable differences in
    cooking properties or taste?

    I have always bought cane sugar and have heard that beet sugar was "less
    desirable". True/false?

    I don't know anything aboutr this topic, but I think I will learn and
    then become a food snob at parties.... Nah, I won't really. But that's
    what some of these debates are really about, IMO.

    Well...some of these, play out in practical terms, not just a
    theoretical debate. Like this one.

    Try both types of sugar in a recipe that you know, and see for
    yourself if there is any difference.

    Christine

    I am willing to do so, but I only use up about 1 kg of sugar a year
    and I still have 2.4 kgs in stock. So ti will take me some timebefore I
    am ready to buy more sugar 🙂

    BTW, cane sugar is ahrd to find here. We grow beets, but not sugar cane
    in The Netherlands.

  8. Christine Dabney said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    ...between cane sugar and beet sugar? Are there noticeable differences in
    cooking properties or taste?

    I have always bought cane sugar and have heard that beet sugar was "less
    desirable". True/false?

    There was a great article in the Washington Post about a year or so
    ago...at least I think it was that newspaper. May have been another
    one.

    Anyway, beet sugar doesn't perform in the same way as cane sugar, and
    doesn't caramelize as well. Not as good for baking, from what I
    remember. There were other differences too, but now I cannot
    remember them.

    Their recommendation was to use cane sugar.

    Christine

    I grew up where only beet sugar was available and now I live where cane
    sugar is commonly used. For everyday cooking and baking I see absolutely
    no difference in them.

    Monika

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.