what is the normal lifespan for a bottom bracket?

On Feb 7, 10:33 am, "phillip brown" <[email protected]> wrote:
> just wondering...

It depends on what you're doing to it, and what sort of riding.

A road BB should last between 15,000-30,000km or so, that's been my
experience anyway. I've got about 18,000 on an Ultegra 10sp BB at the
moment with no signs of problems.

On Feb 7, 10:33 am, "phillip brown" <[email protected]> wrote:
> just wondering...
>
> phillip brown

596km if they're overtightened. I replaced them with a set from an
old (but barely used) womens road bike. That was about 1200km ago
now, not anticipating the need to replace them again anytime soon.

On Feb 7, 11:49 am, Paulie-AU <Paulie-AU.2lm...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> phillip brown Wrote:> just wondering...
>
> > phillip brown

> About 2 minutes in a bath of acid. Longer in a bike.
>
> --
> Paulie-AU

there's always one......unusually, this time it's not me...

phillip brown

phillip brown said:
just wondering...

phillip brown

As long as a piece of string.

2002 Truvativ ISIS BB, regular to heavy MTB use, 9 months.
By the time I replaced it at 12 months old it had 5mm play.

1989 DuraAce, ridden on average weekly, serviced once or twice, still going strong.

phillip brown wrote:
> just wondering...
>
> phillip brown

Mine gives a slight click every time it goes around. On the other hand,
it's been on the bike since 1996 (!) Probably done c. 50,000 km in that
time. It developed the click in 1999, LBS couldn't figure it either, so
I keep running it until it finally cracks up, whenever that is. Can't
tell you what it is, as it's been eight years since it's even been out
of the cups.

"phillip brown" wrote:

> just wondering...
>
> phillip brown

Agreed that it really does depend on the type and quality level you're
using. My commute/touring bike has had two bottom brackets in 14 years.

Original Shimano UN52 - lasted 18 months (maybe 5000 kms) then began making
a lot of clicking noises.

Replaced with a Shimano UN72 - still in the bike 12 years later, something
like 40,000 - 60,000 kms. Never serviced or adjusted, it just keeps turning
smoothly.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"ray" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> phillip brown wrote:
>> just wondering...
>>
>> phillip brown
>>

> Mine gives a slight click every time it goes around. On the other hand,
> it's been on the bike since 1996 (!) Probably done c. 50,000 km in that
> time. It developed the click in 1999, LBS couldn't figure it either, so I
> keep running it until it finally cracks up, whenever that is. Can't tell
> you what it is, as it's been eight years since it's even been out of the
> cups.

Wow...imagine being in your cups for 8 years straight....

Bikesoiler wrote:

> 2002 Truvativ ISIS BB, regular to heavy MTB use, 9 months.
> By the time I replaced it at 12 months old it had 5mm play.

You must of got one of their prototype metal ones, normally they're made
of cheese and don't last even that long.

Parbs