What Kind Of Bike Is Right For You?

Dora M

Feb 20, 2015
Colombia
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have lived and cycled in many different parts of the world. I consider my bike as an essential part of my life. In recent years, while I was living in Far North Queensland, Australia, I acquired an electric bike to help me get up some steep hills and overcome long distances in extremely hot and humid conditions. It turned out to be one of the best choices I ever made, as it literally saved me a lot of sweat and energy while pedaling to work every morning.
These days I live in Latin America where I ride a comfortable ladies' bike to my work place and a mountain bike for rougher terrains on weekends.
What kind of bike do you prefer?

Prefer overall - my hybrid - a good blend of comfort and capability - which is the intent of the designers. It's still my favorite.

I use mountain bike. It's simply because I like off-road cycling the most. Nothing better than getting some speed while going of a hill or climbing up on the same, then looking down and understanding that what you did was pretty amazing. Of course it's pretty dangerous, but definitely worth the expierence. Plus you can ride mtb anywhere you want, I dont refuse to get some speed while cycling on bike lanes too:)

[SIZE=11pt]During weekdays my bike trail is just on the road or highway so I use a simple road bike on these occasions and go for a easy and relaxing cycling activity. On weekends when I have more time, my father and I go in a mountainous forest trail that needs a mountain bike to do the job. The roads are rocky and muddy when wet so we really put some extra effort and preparation when going into this trail. Overall I like both bikes but I am more of a mountain bike person because my personality is more of adventurous and explorative outdoors. I like the rocky and muddy trails more which are challenging but rewarding when overcoming it. Plus the nature is scene is very relaxing and gives an extra boost when our legs are getting tired of pedaling. [/SIZE]

For me it's an upright ladies bike. I tried the mountain bike but it just wasn't for me. Not the right shape for keeping my back happy. Being upright not only keeps my back in a good position, it also seems to be easier to use all my leg muscles, not just the quads.

I'm still a teenager, so I really do enjoy riding BMW bikes, but sadly they are still very expensive. :/

I rarely have much of a preference unless I'm competing in something. It just has to be a comfortable ride for me. Especially when it comes to distances. I need something that gets me from point A to point B without feeling l like I'm broken. I will admit I'm not a fan of beach crusiers. Never found them comfortable.

I have recently had to acquire a recumbent trike to be able to continue cycling after a back injury left me with paralysis down my right leg. This adds to the slight paralysis to my left leg which I acquired in my teenage years. The end result is that whilst I can probably still ride a 2 wheeler, stopping is a problem! The trike has resolved that problem, but I am hoping with time and healing I may get back to being able to use one of my other bikes.

But I have to accept that my days of trail riding and single track riding, jumps and the likes are probably over. I'm just hoping that my days of going out and getting covered head to toe in mud or my days of being able to cover 100km and still feel like I could do more, are not over. That said, I am managing to get off-road on wider trails that are more hardcore than muddy so I can still enjoy being on and off-road and hopefully once I am strong enough again, I will be able to return to touring!