Road Cycling · Public discussion

what kind of information do

Started by Misnomer · · Last activity · 14 posts · 634 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
24 October 2003
Last activity
26 October 2003
Original author
Misnomer
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
634
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. you "download" (electronically or otherwise) from your bike computers? Right now I just keep track
    of the distance, time and average speed, who I ride with, and where I went.

    take care Liz here are some pics of one of my rides members.shaw.cabikepath.htm

  2. MisNomer from Shaw Residential Internet said:

    you "download" (electronically or otherwise) from your bike computers? Right now I just keep track
    of the distance, time and average speed, who I ride with, and where I went.

    I do that, plus I add weather conditions.

    --
    real e-mail addy: kevansmith23 at yahoo dot com Yow! I'm having a quadrophonic sensation of two
    winos alone in a steel mill!

  3. Fri, 24 Oct 2003 03:00:48 GMT, <[email hidden]>, MisNomer

    Quoted message said:

    you "download" (electronically or otherwise) from your bike computers? Right now I just keep track
    of the distance, time and average speed, who I ride with, and where I went.

    Some people may make note of weather conditions if they're anything but fair-weather cyclists.

    I suppose if you're training, you might want to keep track of your supplements and what you
    were wearing.
    --
    zk

  4. "MisNomer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    you "download" (electronically or otherwise) from your bike computers?


    Right

    Quoted message said:

    now I just keep track of the distance, time and average speed, who I ride


    with,

    Quoted message said:

    and where I went.

    take care Liz here are some pics of one of my rides members.shaw.cabikepath.htm

    Those stats, plus:

    Max speed, elevation gained, calories, cadence (when I had a cadence monitor), average watts,
    average heart rate, max heart rate, plus notes on weather, route, sights seen, how I felt, etc.

    --
    ~_-* ...G/ \G cyclistats.comcyclistats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

  5. Nice pics

    members.aol.comfoxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

    members.aol.comdnvrfox (Family Web Page)

  6. "Kevan Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    I do that, plus I add weather conditions.

    In Shreveport? You have two. Hot, and wet. Usually at the same time.

    Pete

  7. Thanks, and you too have some nice pics! I pictured you differently. Nice to put names to faces.
    Happy riding!

    take care Liz

    Hey! Look what [email hidden] (Denver C. Fox) wrote :

    Quoted message said:

    Nice pics

    members.aol.comfoxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

    members.aol.comdnvrfox (Family Web Page)

  8. On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:13:17 GMT, "Pete" <[email hidden]> from Road Runner High Speed Online

    url='http://www.rr.com/'http://www.rr.com/url said:


    "Kevan Smith" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    I do that, plus I add weather conditions.

    In Shreveport? You have two. Hot, and wet. Usually at the same time.

    Yeah ... and then there's the weather, too. 🙂

    --
    real e-mail addy: kevansmith23 at yahoo dot com I wish I was on a Cincinnati street corner holding a
    clean dog!

  9. MisNomer said:

    you "download" (electronically or otherwise) from your bike computers? Right now I just keep track
    of the distance, time and average speed, who I ride with, and where I went.

    I have a spreadsheet which I enter in the date, clock time, distance, biking time, type of ride
    (Training, Leisure, or Group), and the route. The spreadsheet figures out average speed for the
    ride. It also figures total distance and time, average distance, time and speed for each category
    and for them combined, for my whole year.

    Craig midwestroads.combike

  10. I, too, input to a spreadsheet (geek that I am) where I keep track of the following: date distance
    ride time avg. time per mile average speed maximum velocity temperature ride notes

    That said, what's the general concensus of keeping track of ride time versus time elapsed? Given the
    traffic, stop lights and signs I encounter, I tend to prefer actual ride time, but is there any
    reason to prefer the latter? Just wondering, since we opened the subject a bit.

    Kristin

    "Craig Holl" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    MisNomer said:

    you "download" (electronically or otherwise) from your bike computers? Right now I just keep
    track of the distance, time and average speed, who I ride with, and where I went.

    I have a spreadsheet which I enter in the date, clock time, distance,


    biking time,

    Quoted message said:

    type of ride (Training, Leisure, or Group), and the route. The


    spreadsheet

    Quoted message said:

    figures out average speed for the ride. It also figures total distance


    and time,

    Quoted message said:

    average distance, time and speed for each category and for them combined,


    for my

    Quoted message said:

    whole year.

    Craig midwestroads.combike

  11. Kristin Garau said:

    That said, what's the general concensus of keeping track of ride time versus time elapsed? Given
    the traffic, stop lights and signs I encounter, I tend to prefer actual ride time, but is there
    any reason to prefer the latter? Just wondering, since we opened the subject a bit.

    Riding time: using this and your total distance give you your average speed while moving. I use this
    so I can compare each ride and see how I'm improving over the season. This method takes out (for the
    most part) how many stop lights and such you run into. Something it can't take into account is how
    hilly or windy that particular ride was, so you can't always accurately compare.

    Elapsed time: This will tell you how long your ride was in actual minutes. For me this would only be
    useful for determining if I have enough time to do a certain route. If I only had 45 minutes, I
    could look back at my logs and see what routes only took that long. But since I don't keep track of
    total elapsed time, I have to take my riding time and add on some minutes based on what I know about
    the route. Fortunately I rarely need to be done with a ride by a certain time, so this information
    is not needed, and the ride time substitutes just fine.

    Craig midwestroads.combike

  12. MisNomer <[email hidden]> wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    you "download" (electronically or otherwise) from your bike computers? Right now I just keep track
    of the distance, time and average speed, who I ride with, and where I went.

    take care Liz here are some pics of one of my rides members.shaw.cabikepath.htm

    I record the ODO from both bikes every Friday, from which I get weekly milage and average weekly
    milage. It's bare-bones info but enough to give me a general idea of how things are going. There's
    also a "comments" section where I've recorded when parts are replaced, and extraordinary days
    (good or bad).

  13. Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:37:36 GMT, <[email hidden]>, "Kristin

    Garau said:

    That said, what's the general concensus of keeping track of ride time versus time elapsed? Given
    the traffic, stop lights and signs I encounter, I tend to prefer actual ride time, but is there any
    reason to prefer the latter? Just wondering, since we opened the subject a bit.

    Kristin

    For randonee rides, your overall time is the base for calculating your average speed which can't be
    less than 15KmH, including sleep periods.

    Commuting times depend on total time elapsed, including parking, toilet and change or buffer for a
    flat tire.

    For normal riding around town, I leave it on auto start/stop and display the clock function.
    --
    zk

  14. Kristin Garau <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : I, too, input to a spreadsheet (geek that I am) where I keep track of the

    I just use a text file, though I'm going to upgrade to database and some software I think.

    : That said, what's the general concensus of keeping track of ride time versus time elapsed? Given
    : the traffic, stop lights and signs I encounter, I tend to prefer actual ride time, but is there
    : any reason to prefer the latter? Just wondering,

    I record both, as then I can see how much I wasted on breaks, traffic lights and such :-) Minimizing
    breaks makes you faster!

    For each ride I also record which HPV I'm riding. Sometimes it's fun to calculate one's total pedal
    revolutions or percentage of coasting time, but I don't usually record that. Sometimes I just record
    the day, distance and vehicle, and nothing more.

    --
    Risto Varanka | helsinki.fihpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.