What kind of tool do I need to remove this bottom bracket?

Michael Shaffer <[email protected]> wrote in news:yB4hg.133246$k%3.85577
@dukeread12:
> I already have the park BB-2 but it doesn't seem to fit this one.
>
> http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/bb1.jpg
> http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/bb2.jpg
> http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/bb3.jpg

I don't know what a Park BB-2 is, but your BB looks like a standard loose
bearing type. You need a standard hook-type locknut remover to remove the
adjustable cone (your bb1 picture). You may need a vice to remove the fixed
cone.

Ken wrote:
> Michael Shaffer <[email protected]> wrote in news:yB4hg.133246$k%3.85577
> @dukeread12:
>
>>I already have the park BB-2 but it doesn't seem to fit this one.
>>
>>http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/bb1.jpg
>>http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/bb2.jpg
>>http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/bb3.jpg

> I don't know what a Park BB-2 is, but your BB looks like a standard loose
> bearing type. You need a standard hook-type locknut remover to remove the
> adjustable cone (your bb1 picture). You may need a vice to remove the fixed
> cone.

Ok, I just took it out

http://members.cox.net/michaelshaffer/bb4.jpg

I guess I'll just try regreasing it and see if the creak goes away.

Re: Shows traditional cup-and-cone bottom bracket with a 3-notch
lockring.

I think I have managed to remove these with a pin-spanner and extreme
care - as long as the lockring isn't too tight - but lately I found my
Raleigh SPORTS multi-tool, which is just a piece of stamped
high-carbon steel, with a semicircular lockring jaw and one tooth -
will pull these lockings off faster than sh*t through a goose ...

- Don "i love $0.75 tools" Gillies
San Diego, CA

Donald Gillies wrote:
> Re: Shows traditional cup-and-cone bottom bracket with a 3-notch
> lockring.
>
> I think I have managed to remove these with a pin-spanner and extreme
> care - as long as the lockring isn't too tight - but lately I found my
> Raleigh SPORTS multi-tool, which is just a piece of stamped
> high-carbon steel, with a semicircular lockring jaw and one tooth -
> will pull these lockings off faster than sh*t through a goose ...

I use the Park lockring tool with a hammer to get high-impulse force to
break the threads free on tight lockrings.
--
Phil