what made you carry on?

To make sure that I didn't give up, I shelled out "a lot" of
money on my first (and only) unicycle. Also, I think that
unicycling is not hard compared to other things. One can
dedicate 10 hours practice on any skill and see results.
Seeing results motivates the rider to keep trying.

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

i would say i carried on because i found out bout muni and
trials.Freestyle is cool but it makes me mad trying to do
the same thing over and over and not feeling like your
getting anywhere.If i could thank one thing for keeping
going i would have to say it was Phil he has really helped
me as a rider thanks man! Ben

--
thinuniking - U don't be playing me cracker!

A.K.A THINBENNYBOY I AM A GOOGLEWACK!
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

I had a borrowed P.O.S. Troxel. I gave up a whole bunch of
times because that thing was nearly impossible to ride even
when it was brand new (now it's even harder).

But I eventually picked it up and went back at it for
two reasons:

1. It was sitting in the corner, laughing at me.

2. I had seen other kids from my neighborhood on unicycles,
and I knew these kids were not especially gifted in any
way. This was the key. If they could do it, there was no
reason I could not. So I wasn't going to give up. Until
the P.O.S. fell apart. Then there was a three year gap
before I really learned to ride...

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,

I think its a Zen thing.

I don't mean to get all new-agey on you guys, but I think
there's something to this.

When you are unicycling, you are really living in the
present moment, undistracted by the thoughts of daily life.

When you're riding single track muni, doing trials, going
15mph on a coker, coasting/gliding/riding one-footed, etc
etc, there is NO ROOM FOR YOUR MIND TO WANDER. You are
focused exactly on the present moment.

Then there's the fitness factor. For me, keeping fit is a
matter of finding things I enjoy that happen to keep me in
shape. Unicycling is the best workout that never feels like
one. Being fit gives you more energy and this tends to put a
person in better spririts.

Oh yeah, then there's the attention. C'mon, you KNOW you
like it. Unicycling is NOT for the anti-social.

Mike

--
mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

It is something that goes through your mind after getting
back from a ride when you've had nothing but smartarse
comments, **** jokes and insults... why?!

But... then you go for a muni the day after, and it's a
whole new world... challenging, excellent fun, great
exercise, wonderful countryside and a better class of
people around.

Oooooooo yes.

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:25:07 -0500, "phil" wrote:

>ooops... pressed \"quote\" rather than \"edit\"...
>:rolleyes:

You can Back out of that.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
be sure to remove the saddle and simply sit on the seat
post. this is far more comfortable - tennisgh22 on the