Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

What's a good lubricant for chains?

Started by John Leonard · · Last activity · 32 posts · 2,293 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 September 2003
Last activity
21 September 2003
Original author
John Leonard
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,293
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a mainstay, although it has its
    detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance, I've read that it is actually a water bearing product
    and thus actually promotes rust. I've tried graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey and to
    attract and hold particles.

    John Leonard

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, John Leonard

    Quoted message said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a mainstay, although it has its
    detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance, I've read that it is actually a water bearing
    product and thus actually promotes rust. I've tried graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey
    and to attract and hold particles.

    I use either Tri-Flow in a dripper bottle or motor oil depending on the bike and conditions.

  3. John Leonard said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a mainstay, although it has
    its detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance, I've read that it is actually a water bearing
    product and thus actually promotes rust. I've tried graphite but it seems to be thick and
    gooey and to attract and hold particles.

    John Leonard

    WD40 is not a lubricant, it is an antisieze agent. It will not stay on your chain, you need
    something thicker. Example: I use WD40 to move parts that have rusted together, but once they are
    apart, I immediately apply grease/oil. For chains I use Phil Woods tenacious oil (designed for
    bikes). Some people prefer to use cheaper automotive or chainsaw lubricants, but it works well for
    me and my $10 bottle should last a long time.

    Adam

  4. Many of the people I know here around the mid-Atlantic swear by Prolink.

    Best lube depends on the application and conditions, dirty, off road, wet, etc.

    "John Leonard" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a
    mainstay, although it has its detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance,
    I've read that it is actually a water bearing product and thus actually
    promotes rust. I've tried graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey and


    to

    Quoted message said:

    attract and hold particles.

    John Leonard

  5. John Leonard' may have said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a mainstay, although it has its
    detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance, I've read that it is actually a water bearing
    product and thus actually promotes rust. I've tried graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey
    and to attract and hold particles.

    WD40 gets its name from "Water Displacement", which is what it was originally developed for. It is a
    terrible lubricant for anything that actually bears a load. If you want an expensive lesson in how
    poor its lubricating qualities are, buy any gear puller, put WD40 on the threads of the screw, and
    use the puller to remove something that's firmly installed. Or, I should say, *strip the screw*
    while trying to remove something, because that's what's likely to happen.

    Opinions as to what is a *good* chain lube vary. Pedro's (wet), Phil's, and several of the other
    name-brand bike specialty lubes all seem to work pretty well, and each has its adherents. (Pedro's
    wax seems to have some durability problems for many people, though.) Ordinary motor oil and chain
    lube for chain saws also has a strong following, with apparently good results, and both have the
    inherent advantages of being cheap and available at Wal-Mart. A few folks also use paraffin wax,
    applied by dropping the freshly-cleaned chain into a bath of it at a hot enough temp to boil out any
    water; the chain has to be installed and ridden before it cools if this trick is used.

    My personal opinion is that from what I've tried, I see no reason to favor expensive lubes over
    cheap ones in ordinary applications, as long as it *is* a lubricant. WD-40 isn't a lube as far as
    I'm concerned. Paraffin is perhaps a special case, I've got one waxed chain that seems to be doing
    pretty well, but it hasn't accumulated a lot of miles. The only porbable things to avoid that I'll
    note are the so-called "dry" lubes; they often seem to function poorly. Likewise, Teflon does
    zip-zero-zilch-nada as a lubricant additive in this type of application, so any lube that has Teflon
    in it is relying on the rest of the product (and not the famous additive) for its action.. (That's
    from DuPont's engineers, and they *make* the stuff.)

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>, "John Leonard"

    Quoted message said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a mainstay, although it has its
    detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance, I've read that it is actually a water bearing product
    and thus actually promotes rust. I've tried graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey and to
    attract and hold particles.

    No it's not (I've done it).

    WD-40 is reputed to ruin the wood of a high power rifle and to seep into the primers of center fire
    amo and ruin them.

    Motor oil or chain saw bar oil will do what you want for a whole lot less than the fancy brand label
    bike lubes. Or check what a motorcycle shop is selling for chain lube.

    Tom Gibb <[email hidden]

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains?

    No. WD-40 is not a lubricant.

    Quoted message said:

    It's something of a mainstay, although it has its detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance, I've
    read that it is actually a water bearing product and thus actually promotes rust.

    No, the WD in WD-40 is for water displacing. So it does not promote rust.

    Quoted message said:

    I've tried graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey and to attract and hold particles.

    As you found out, graphite is not that good a choice either.

    A cheap, easy to find, and excellent lube is regular motor oil. You can get a quart for $1 and
    it will last a long time. If you want fancier lube, you can get a quart of mobil 1 synthetic
    for $4/quart.
    ------------------
    Alex

  8. Check out the Dumonde website. I use this stuff and it seems to lube the chain and silence it like
    no other I have used in the past.

  9. John Leonard said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a mainstay, although it has its
    detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance, I've read that it is actually a water bearing
    product and thus actually promotes rust. I've tried graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey
    and to attract and hold particles.

    As you've probably guessed from the responses so far, chain lubrication tends to be a somewhat
    religious issue. I'd guess that a google groups search for "chain" and "lubrication" in
    rec.bicycles.* would turn up literally hundreds of articles. One thing most agree on: WD-40 is NOT a
    lubricant.

    Being a bit of a retro-grouch I still hot wax my chains, at least on my "good" bikes. I use White
    Lightning on my MTB and touring bikes. I'm pretty happy with the results of both methods.

    Some (like Jobst) just use motor oil. After oiling the chain it's recommended that it be wiped clean
    before use, else it picks up lots of road grit.

    BTW, I just tried the above and found 1660 articles. I'm beginning to think there are no new
    questions to be asked on r.b.t. Every answer can probably be found on google groups. :-)

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net home.earthlink.net~jeverett3

  10. "John Leonard" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a mainstay, although it has its
    detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance, I've read that it is actually a water bearing product
    and thus actually promotes rust. I've tried graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey and to
    attract and hold particles.

    John Leonard

    OK. irreverent (and probably dumb) questions: Just how good a lubricant is actually needed? Is a
    bicycle chain a particularly demanding application? Or is it that just a little bit of friction in
    each of those many chain pins adds up to make it worthwhile to use a "good" lubricant?

    Otherwise it seems to me that the flushing and rust-inhibiting capabilities of WD-40 are what's
    valuable. I've read here repeatedly that what kills chains is road grit, rather than metal-on-metal
    friction. In any case, I doubt I'm fast enough to create any significant heat build-up in my chain!

    In fact, I use Phil's. But do the deficiencies of WD-40 actually make a difference?

    Peter Storey

  11. John Leonard said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a mainstay, although it has its
    detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance, I've read that it is actually a water bearing product
    and thus actually promotes rust. I've tried graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey and to
    attract and hold particles.

    WD-40 is a great product for lots of uses. Lubricating chains, or much of anything else mechanical,
    is not one such use.

    "WD" stands for Water Displacer, although it might as well be Wrecks Derailleurs. I doubt it
    contains water, but I guarantee your chain will rust if you use WD-40 as it's lube.

    This question is one of the most common discussions on this newsfroup; search groups.google.com for
    chain lube discussions here and see what everybody uses and what they think of their choice.

    Quoted message said:

    John Leonard


    --
    Rick Onanian

  12. (TBGibb) may have said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "John Leonard"

    Quoted message said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a mainstay, although it has its
    detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance, I've read that it is actually a water bearing product
    and thus actually promotes rust. I've tried graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey and to
    attract and hold particles.

    No it's not (I've done it).

    WD-40 is reputed to ruin the wood of a high power rifle and to seep into the primers of center fire
    amo and ruin them.

    Motor oil or chain saw bar oil will do what you want for a whole lot less than the fancy brand
    label bike lubes. Or check what a motorcycle shop is selling for chain lube.

    Motorcycle shops have the same chain lube issues as bicycle shops. Boutique products tend to
    dominate, some good, some mediocre, many overpriced. Some made-for-motorcycle chain lubes are thick,
    black, and nasty.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  13. Thanks to everyone. I now have a lot of informed opinions to go on.

    John

    "Peter Storey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "John Leonard" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a mainstay, although it has its
    detractors. On gun newsgroups, for


    instance,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've read that it is actually a water bearing product and thus actually promotes rust. I've
    tried graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey


    and to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    attract and hold particles.

    John Leonard

    OK. irreverent (and probably dumb) questions: Just how good a lubricant is actually needed? Is a
    bicycle chain a particularly demanding application? Or is it that just a little bit of friction in
    each of those many chain pins adds up to make it worthwhile to use a "good" lubricant?

    Otherwise it seems to me that the flushing and rust-inhibiting capabilities of WD-40 are what's
    valuable. I've read here repeatedly that what kills chains is road grit, rather than
    metal-on-metal friction. In any case, I doubt I'm fast enough to create any significant heat
    build-up in my chain!

    In fact, I use Phil's. But do the deficiencies of WD-40 actually make a difference?

    Peter Storey

  14. (Peter Storey) may have said:

    do the deficiencies of WD-40 actually make a difference?

    Yes. Many years ago, my father got a great deal on a case of WD-40 in spray cans. He started using
    it as a lube on everything in sight, including my bike chain. Within a couple of months, I had to
    adjust the slack out of it *twice*, after having ridden it for a couple of years on motor oil with
    only one slack buildup. (Same ride each day, single-speed chain, not high-tech in any way.) The
    third time that the chain got slack, I took it off and hauled it to the lbs to see what they could
    tell me. The guy there checked it with a ruler, said it was worn out, and then sniffed it. "You been
    using WD40 on this?" "Yes." "Don't do that. Use oil."

    That was in 1968.

    Two years ago, my Escort's clutch pedal linkage started to squeak. Not thinking clearly, I grabbed
    the can of WD40 and doused the clevis and pin. Two weeks later, it was squeaking again, doused
    again, repeat cycle a second time...and then it dawned on me that I might be making things worse
    instead of better with this. So I pulled the clevis. The pin and the clevis were both badly worn,
    and so was the hole in the clutch pedal.. They'd had only negligible wear when I'd pulled the clevis
    a few months prior while doing some other work.

    I still have a can of WD40, but now I remember not to use it where a *lubricant* is needed.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  15. "Werehatrack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Some made-for-motorcycle chain lubes are thick, black, and nasty.

    It's late, so we'll let that line go 🙂

    Bill "good night, now" S.

  16. Chain guck is 'thick, black and nasty' when it comes off, so it only is reasonable that that is how
    it goes on.

    "Werehatrack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Motorcycle shops have the same chain lube issues as bicycle shops. Boutique products tend to
    dominate, some good, some mediocre, many overpriced. Some made-for-motorcycle chain lubes are
    thick, black, and nasty.

  17. Mobil-1.

    Clean chain first with diesel (not petrol)

    "John Leonard" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]... Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's
    something of a mainstay, although it has its detractors. On gun newsgroups, for instance, I've read
    that it is actually a water bearing product and thus actually promotes rust. I've tried graphite but
    it seems to be thick and gooey and to attract and hold particles.

    John Leonard

  18. On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 01:00:54 GMT, "Jacobe Hazzard" <[email hidden]> may

    have said:

    WD40 is not a lubricant, it is an antisieze agent.

    I think you meant to say "penetrating agent", which it is appropriate as. "Antisieze agents" are
    extreme pressure lubricants which are applied to prevent siezure, not things to unsieze something
    that has already become bound up. Typical use on a bike: BB on a titanium frame.

    Quoted message said:

    It will not stay on your chain, you need something thicker. Example: I use WD40 to move parts that
    have rusted together, but once they are apart, I immediately apply grease/oil.

    Agreed.

    Quoted message said:

    For chains I use Phil Woods tenacious oil (designed for bikes). Some people prefer to use
    cheaper automotive or chainsaw lubricants, but it works well for me and my $10 bottle should
    last a long time.

    That's the thing we often lose sight of; for the user who only needs to lube a chain perhaps once
    every few weeks (i.e., the non-commuter occasional pleasure rider), almost none of the decent lubes
    are overly costly in the long run.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

  19. Alex Rodriguez said:

    No, the WD in WD-40 is for water displacing. So it does not promote rust.

    Intuitively, you would expect that's true. However, in experience, you will find that items treated
    with WD-40 will rust very easily.

    WD-40 is great for loosening rusted stuff, but it does seem to make stuff rust faster than if it was
    completely clean and lacking WD-40.

    Quoted message said:

    get a quart for $1 and it will last a long time. If you want fancier lube, you can get a quart of
    mobil 1 synthetic for $4/quart.

    Mobil 1 has the reputation of being the best there is for automotive engines; maybe it would indeed
    work well for a bicycle.

    Quoted message said:

    ------------------
    Alex


    --
    Rick Onanian

  20. Why do I have to install and run the chain while it is hot when I wax??? Snake (remove the
    DASHES in .com)

    "Werehatrack" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    John Leonard' may have said:

    Is WD-40 a good lubricant for bicycle chains? It's something of a mainstay, although it has
    its detractors. On gun newsgroups, for


    instance,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've read that it is actually a water bearing product and thus actually promotes rust. I've tried
    graphite but it seems to be thick and gooey and


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    attract and hold particles.

    WD40 gets its name from "Water Displacement", which is what it was originally developed for. It is
    a terrible lubricant for anything that actually bears a load. If you want an expensive lesson in
    how poor its lubricating qualities are, buy any gear puller, put WD40 on the threads of the screw,
    and use the puller to remove something that's firmly installed. Or, I should say, *strip the
    screw* while trying to remove something, because that's what's likely to happen.

    Opinions as to what is a *good* chain lube vary. Pedro's (wet), Phil's, and several of the other
    name-brand bike specialty lubes all seem to work pretty well, and each has its adherents. (Pedro's
    wax seems to have some durability problems for many people, though.) Ordinary motor oil and chain
    lube for chain saws also has a strong following, with apparently good results, and both have the
    inherent advantages of being cheap and available at Wal-Mart. A few folks also use paraffin wax,
    applied by dropping the freshly-cleaned chain into a bath of it at a hot enough temp to boil out
    any water; the chain has to be installed and ridden before it cools if this trick is used.

    My personal opinion is that from what I've tried, I see no reason to favor expensive lubes over
    cheap ones in ordinary applications, as long as it *is* a lubricant. WD-40 isn't a lube as far as
    I'm concerned. Paraffin is perhaps a special case, I've got one waxed chain that seems to be doing
    pretty well, but it hasn't accumulated a lot of miles. The only porbable things to avoid that I'll
    note are the so-called "dry" lubes; they often seem to function poorly. Likewise, Teflon does
    zip-zero-zilch-nada as a lubricant additive in this type of application, so any lube that has
    Teflon in it is relying on the rest of the product (and not the famous additive) for its action..
    (That's from DuPont's engineers, and they *make* the stuff.)

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
    don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.