Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

What's inside a shimano sealed bottom bracket?

Started by Mike Buckler · · Last activity · 7 posts · 992 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
1 March 2004
Last activity
5 March 2004
Original author
Mike Buckler
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
992
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've searched the web for a picture or drawing without success.

    My UN-72 has developed a metallic double clicking sound, twice per revolution, It feels OK when
    turned by hand, and there's no side to side play. I've already taken it out of the frame and the
    threaded cups and shell look entirely normal.

    Does this sound indicate a pending terminal failure, or is it simply a loose race inside the shell?.
    Should I be worried?

    Mike

  2. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I've searched the web for a picture or drawing without success. My UN-72 has developed a metallic
    double clicking sound, twice per revolution, It feels OK when turned by hand, and there's no side
    to side play. I've


    already

    Quoted message said:

    taken it out of the frame and the threaded cups and shell look entirely


    normal.

    Quoted message said:

    Does this sound indicate a pending terminal failure, or is it simply a loose race inside the
    shell?. Should I be worried?

    I would check the crank and the pedals too. They could be the source of your noise. Especially since
    you said the BB feels smooth when you turn it by hand.
    ---------------
    Alex

  3. Mike-<< My UN-72 has developed a metallic double clicking sound, >><BR><BR>

    Make sure you tap the right cup off, lube in there and then tap it on. Lube in the left cup and the
    BB shell..all tight.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  4. On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:09:18 +0800, Mike Buckler

    may have said:

    I've searched the web for a picture or drawing without success.

    My UN-72 has developed a metallic double clicking sound, twice per revolution, It feels OK when
    turned by hand, and there's no side to side play. I've already taken it out of the frame and the
    threaded cups and shell look entirely normal.

    Does this sound indicate a pending terminal failure, or is it simply a loose race inside the
    shell?. Should I be worried?

    The last time I had a noise like that, the left retainer wasn't tight enough. Check your
    pedals, too.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  5. A prior posting by John Dacey (who made the effort to crush a 6500 just to
    see) on this topic:

    "John Dacey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Fallaces sunt rerum species." - Seneca On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:08:12 -0500, dvt

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:24:00 -0500, John Dacey


    <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A full complement of 1/4" balls surrounding a spindle of this dimension seems not possible with
    the space constraints.

    Is it possible that the spindle has a smaller OD inside the cartridge? I haven't looked at this
    newfangled fancy stuff, but it's possible that the spindle is only 26.7mm on the visible portion
    of the BB.

    Curious, I crushed the left sided of a worn 6500 cartidge yesterday to see what lay within. The
    interior section of the spindle normally obscured from view _is_ stepped down somewhat from the Ø
    of its visible ends, and the race upon which the balls orbit is cut even further into the spindle.
    The bearing complement on the left side was seven 7/32" balls.

    Thanks for the input on this. I actually bought / installed the 6500 yesterday. It took 2min to
    install. Compared to the 45min I spent trying to get the old original 7700 to spin smoothly, it
    was a dream.

    "Mike Buckler" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've searched the web for a picture or drawing without success.

    My UN-72 has developed a metallic double clicking sound, twice per


    revolution,

    Quoted message said:

    It feels OK when turned by hand, and there's no side to side play. I've


    already

    Quoted message said:

    taken it out of the frame and the threaded cups and shell look entirely


    normal.

    Quoted message said:


    Does this sound indicate a pending terminal failure, or is it simply a


    loose

    Quoted message said:

    race inside the shell?. Should I be worried?

    Mike

  6. A mechanic's stethescope at less than ten dollars will do a lot toward intuiting the source of the
    click. Try different cup torque settings, see if it gets worse the harder you fix the cups.
    (Retainers....)

    My physics project at NVCC: Google Groups, then "dgoncz" and some of: ultracapacitor bicycle
    fluorescent flywheel inverter

  7. Alex Rodriguez said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I've searched the web for a picture or drawing without success. My UN-72 has developed a metallic
    double clicking sound, twice per revolution, It feels OK when turned by hand, and there's no side
    to side play. I've


    already

    Quoted message said:

    taken it out of the frame and the threaded cups and shell look entirely


    normal.

    Quoted message said:

    Does this sound indicate a pending terminal failure, or is it simply a loose race inside the
    shell?. Should I be worried?

    I would check the crank and the pedals too. They could be the source of your noise. Especially
    since you said the BB feels smooth when you turn it by hand.

    I changed the pedals, cranks, wheels and the bottom bracket, none of which made the slightest
    difference.

    It turned out to be the aluminium mudguard rubbing against the rear carrier when the frame flexed
    under load. The actual source of the sound was way back over the rear wheel, but it was traveling
    along the mudguard and being broadcast near the bottom bracket !

    Mike

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.