General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What's this iron overload stuff all about?

Started by Mr. 4X · · Last activity · 24 posts · 798 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 December 2003
Last activity
17 December 2003
Original author
Mr. 4X
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
798
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I saw several posts about 'iron overload' and toxic effects of iron in SM and MHA.

    Is the whole stuff just total BS made up by some FANATIC vegetarians and other kooks?

  2. Mr. 4X said:

    I saw several posts about 'iron overload' and toxic effects of iron in SM and MHA.

    Is the whole stuff just total BS made up by some FANATIC vegetarians and other kooks?

    Here's a good web page on the subject: victorherbert.comhemochrom.htm

  3. Mr. 4X said:

    I saw several posts about 'iron overload' and toxic effects of iron in SM and MHA.

    Is the whole stuff just total BS made up by some FANATIC vegetarians and other kooks?

    No, iron overload is a real disorder, but it's pretty rare except in people who have a congenital
    defect that interferes with their ability to eliminate iron or encourages its accumulation in the
    body. For people who are normal, iron overload is generally a non-issue.

    One exception is children, who can develop iron toxicity from, say, an overdose of children's
    vitamins with iron (this can happen to adults, too, but they have to overdose a lot more, and they
    are less likely to do so).

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mr. 4X said:

    I saw several posts about 'iron overload' and toxic effects of iron in SM and MHA.

    Is the whole stuff just total BS made up by some FANATIC vegetarians and other kooks?

    As others have mentioned, hemochromatosis is a real disease.

    However, there is also a poster named Tom whose email ID is "ironjustice." He's on a crusade to
    prove that every known health problem is caused by iron. Him you can ignore.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
    correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
    shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  5. Mxsmanic said:

    No, iron overload is a real disorder, but it's pretty rare except in people who have a congenital
    defect that interferes with their ability to eliminate iron or encourages its accumulation in the
    body. For people who are normal, iron overload is generally a non-issue.

    It is NOT rare. Quoting from: victorherbert.comhemochrom.htm

    "Approximately 12% of the U.S. population (including approximately 20% Irish-Americans and
    approx. 30% Afro-Americans) have a gene enhancing intestinal absorption of iron (an
    “H”[hemochromatosis] gene) ."

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mxsmanic said:
    Mr. 4X said:

    I saw several posts about 'iron overload' and toxic effects of iron in SM and MHA.

    Is the whole stuff just total BS made up by some FANATIC vegetarians and other kooks?

    No, iron overload is a real disorder, but it's pretty rare except in people who have a congenital
    defect that interferes with their ability to eliminate iron or encourages its accumulation in the
    body. For people who are normal, iron overload is generally a non-issue.

    One exception is children, who can develop iron toxicity from, say, an overdose of children's
    vitamins with iron (this can happen to adults, too, but they have to overdose a lot more, and they
    are less likely to do so).

    Iron poisoning is now the most common cause of childhood poisoning in the US (aspirin poisoning used
    to be, but iron overdose has overtaken it).

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
    correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
    shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  7. David Wright said:

    However, there is also a poster named Tom whose email ID is "ironjustice." He's on a crusade to
    prove that every known health problem is caused by iron. Him you can ignore.

    I thought every known health problem was caused by amalgam dental fillings. Or was it carbohydrates
    in food? I'm confused.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

  8. Mark Thorson said:

    It is NOT rare.

    Symptomatic hemochromatosis is uncommon. Perhaps one person in two hundred has inherited the
    disorder; of those, it's not clear how many will develop clinical disease. The genetic incidence
    thus makes it about four times less commoon than, say, epilepsy, and of those with the genes, not
    all will necessarily manifest the disorder. Mortality from HHC is about 2000 times lower than the
    incidence of the disorder (that is, less than two people out of every million will die of the
    effects of hemochromatosis.

    So I suppose that if you consider epilepsy to be an extremely common disease, then hemochromatosis
    is moderately common. Actual death or disability from the disorder is much less common.

    Quoted message said:

    Quoting from: victorherbert.comhemochrom.htm

    I prefer quotes from large, established institutions with impeccable credentials in the field of
    medicine, not from individuals with a Web site.

    Quoted message said:

    "Approximately 12% of the U.S. population (including approximately 20% Irish-Americans and approx.
    30% Afro-Americans) have a gene enhancing intestinal absorption of iron (an ?H?[hemochromatosis]
    gene) ."

    The gene must be inherited from both parents in order to produce the disorder. And only a tiny
    fraction of those with the disorder ultimately are killed by it (and hence, by extension, we may
    assume that relatively few of those with the disorder are actually sickened by it, but I don't have
    those numbers, and neither, apparently, does Herbert).

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

  9. David Wright said:

    Iron poisoning is now the most common cause of childhood poisoning in the US (aspirin poisoning
    used to be, but iron overdose has overtaken it).

    I recall that those Flintstones vitamins always tempted me--they tasted just like candy! The best-
    tasting vitamins when I was a child, though, were some strange vitamin K supplements that I took
    before having my tonsils out--they tasted orange, and that's all I remember.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mxsmanic said:
    David Wright said:

    However, there is also a poster named Tom whose email ID is "ironjustice." He's on a crusade to
    prove that every known health problem is caused by iron. Him you can ignore.

    I thought every known health problem was caused by amalgam dental fillings. Or was it carbohydrates
    in food? I'm confused.

    Silly boy -- it's caused by toxins in the environment. Don't you know nothin'?

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
    correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
    shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  11. (David Wright) said:
    In article said:
    David Wright said:

    However, there is also a poster named Tom whose email ID is "ironjustice." He's on a crusade to
    prove that every known health problem is caused by iron. Him you can ignore.

    I thought every known health problem was caused by amalgam dental fillings. Or was it
    carbohydrates in food? I'm confused.

    Silly boy -- it's caused by toxins in the environment. Don't you know nothin'?

    No, no... everyone knows it's vaccines and the huge conspiracy between greedy doctors, the corrupt
    FDA, and evil drug companies.

    You've been here how long and you don't know that?

  12. David Wright said:

    Silly boy -- it's caused by toxins in the environment. Don't you know nothin'?

    Not toxins in the environment; toxins in _breastmilk_, which destroys the brains of the world's
    youth. Everyone ends up with fibromyalgia and has to take prescription painkillers and
    anxiolytics forever.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mxsmanic said:
    Carey Gregory said:

    No, no... everyone knows it's vaccines and the huge conspiracy between greedy doctors, the
    corrupt FDA, and evil drug companies.

    But it's the _mercury_ in the vaccines, not the vaccines themselves. It combines with amalgam to
    make individuals attractive targets for alien abduction. Billions of hapless victims are two miles
    beneath Dulce, NM, right now, in Nightmare Hall, being turned into five-legged monsters by
    reptilian ETs. It was just such ETs who helped Lee Oswald kill John Kennedy with a paralysing mind-
    control ray, focused on a previous implant made in Kennedy's pineal gland during a dental visit to
    a practitioner who happend to be a Freemason and Trilateral member during his youth.

    What have I forgotten?

    Well, you left out the Bilderburg group, and the Queen of England being at the center of the
    International Drug Cartel, but aside from that, it wasn't bad.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
    correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
    shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

  14. Mxsmanic said:

    Symptomatic hemochromatosis is uncommon. Perhaps one person in two hundred has inherited the
    disorder; of those, it's not clear how many will develop clinical disease. The genetic incidence
    thus makes it about four times less commoon than, say, epilepsy, and of those with the genes, not
    all will necessarily manifest the disorder. Mortality from HHC is about 2000 times lower than the
    incidence of the disorder (that is, less than two people out of every million will die of the
    effects of hemochromatosis.

    And your source of information is?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Quoting from: victorherbert.comhemochrom.htm

    I prefer quotes from large, established institutions with impeccable credentials in the field of
    medicine, not from individuals with a Web site.

    Herbert cites refereed scientific literature to back up his statements. He is a distinguished
    scientist with a long publication record. I'd prefer to trust him over someone who posts under a
    pseudonym in newsgroups with "facts" that appear to be made up.

  15. Carey Gregory said:
    (David Wright) said:
    In article said:

    David Wright writes:

    > However, there is also a poster named Tom whose email ID is "ironjustice." He's on a crusade to
    > prove that every known health problem is caused by iron. Him you can ignore.

    I thought every known health problem was caused by amalgam dental fillings. Or was it
    carbohydrates in food? I'm confused.

    Silly boy -- it's caused by toxins in the environment. Don't you know nothin'?

    No, no... everyone knows it's vaccines and the huge conspiracy between greedy doctors, the corrupt
    FDA, and evil drug companies.

    You've been here how long and you don't know that?

    I thought it was celiac disease!

    PF

  16. Carey Gregory said:

    No, no... everyone knows it's vaccines and the huge conspiracy between greedy doctors, the corrupt
    FDA, and evil drug companies.

    But it's the _mercury_ in the vaccines, not the vaccines themselves. It combines with amalgam to
    make individuals attractive targets for alien abduction. Billions of hapless victims are two miles
    beneath Dulce, NM, right now, in Nightmare Hall, being turned into five-legged monsters by reptilian
    ETs. It was just such ETs who helped Lee Oswald kill John Kennedy with a paralysing mind-control
    ray, focused on a previous implant made in Kennedy's pineal gland during a dental visit to a
    practitioner who happend to be a Freemason and Trilateral member during his youth.

    What have I forgotten?

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

  17. On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:15:36 +0100, Mxsmanic <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    David Wright said:

    Silly boy -- it's caused by toxins in the environment. Don't you know nothin'?

    Not toxins in the environment; toxins in _breastmilk_, which destroys the brains of the world's
    youth. Everyone ends up with fibromyalgia and has to take prescription painkillers and
    anxiolytics forever.

    Did you hear that even BREASTMILK is mostly composed of dihydrogen monoxide?!?!

    dhmo.orgdhmo.org

    PF

  18. Mark Thorson said:

    And your source of information is?

    Sources, you mean. I think I checked roughly half a dozen yesterday, including Merck and the CDC. I
    don't remember the others, but none of them was a personal Web site, nor was any of them a site of a
    special-interest group--these two types of sites are extraordinarily unreliable. Some sites were
    heavily referenced, and I checked some of the references as well.

    Quoted message said:

    Herbert cites refereed scientific literature to back up his statements.

    I do one better: I actually read the literature myself. So I don't have to care about what
    Herbert says.

    Quoted message said:

    He is a distinguished scientist with a long publication record.

    I did some research on him, too, and my conclusions did not agree with your assertion.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd prefer to trust him over someone who posts under a pseudonym in newsgroups with "facts" that
    appear to be made up.

    I have a better idea: Go out and do some research of your own, and stop believing what others tell
    you. The Web is a wonderful resource, you know. Books are less convenient, but also very useful, if
    you have ready access to them.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

  19. David Wright said:

    Well, you left out the Bilderburg group ...

    They'd throw me out if I mentioned them.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.

  20. On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:13:44 GMT, [email hidden] (PF Riley)
    posted:

    Quoted message said:
    Carey Gregory said:
    (David Wright) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Mxsmanic <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >David Wright writes:
    >
    >> However, there is also a poster named Tom whose email ID is "ironjustice." He's on a crusade
    >> to prove that every known health problem is caused by iron. Him you can ignore.
    >
    >I thought every known health problem was caused by amalgam dental fillings. Or was it
    >carbohydrates in food? I'm confused.

    Silly boy -- it's caused by toxins in the environment. Don't you know nothin'?

    No, no... everyone knows it's vaccines and the huge conspiracy between greedy doctors, the corrupt
    FDA, and evil drug companies.

    You've been here how long and you don't know that?

    I thought it was celiac disease!


    \ It's the govt trying to drug us with con trails from high flying aircraft.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.