Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

What's wrong with my bike?

Started by Tommy Homicide · · Last activity · 8 posts · 324 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
2 August 2004
Last activity
3 August 2004
Original author
Tommy Homicide
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
324
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I don't know [censored] about fixing bikes. Normally I'd just take it to LBS, but
    thought I'd ask you folks first. Basically the problem is: when I turn the
    cranks, it doesn't make the bike go.

    Front and rear derailleur seem to work OK, chain jumps cogs as it's supposed
    to when I shift, but no rotation of rear wheel. Wierd thing is it worked just
    fine Saturday when I rode.

    WTF?

    --
    ____________________________
    TOMMY HOMICIDE
    http://www.tommyhomicide.com

  2. "Tommy Homicide" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know [censored] about fixing bikes. Normally I'd just take it to LBS,


    but

    Quoted message said:

    thought I'd ask you folks first. Basically the problem is: when I turn the
    cranks, it doesn't make the bike go.

    Front and rear derailleur seem to work OK, chain jumps cogs as it's


    supposed

    Quoted message said:

    to when I shift, but no rotation of rear wheel. Wierd thing is it worked


    just

    Quoted message said:

    fine Saturday when I rode.

    WTF?

    --
    ____________________________
    TOMMY HOMICIDE
    http://www.tommyhomicide.com

    It's in neutral :<😉

    Seriously, sounds like the freehub has failed, the ratchets are not
    engaging.

  3. Quoted message said:

    It's in neutral :<😉

    Seriously, sounds like the freehub has failed, the ratchets are not
    engaging.

    So probably new hub or rebuild existing? Can the hub possibly be rebuilt with
    this problem? What's a fair price to rebuild or replace hub?

    Muchos Gracias

    --
    ____________________________
    TOMMY HOMICIDE
    http://www.tommyhomicide.com


  4. Quoted message said:

    "Tommy Homicide"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't know [censored] about fixing bikes. Normally I'd just take it to LBS,


    but thought I'd ask you folks first. Basically the problem is: when I turn
    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    cranks, it doesn't make the bike go. Front and rear derailleur seem to


    work OK, chain jumps cogs as it's supposed to when I shift, but no

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    rotation of rear wheel. Wierd thing is it worked just fine Saturday when


    I rode.

    Quoted message said:

    It's in neutral :<😉

    Funny, thanks!

  5. "Tommy Homicide" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's in neutral :<😉

    Seriously, sounds like the freehub has failed, the ratchets are not
    engaging.

    So probably new hub or rebuild existing? Can the hub possibly be rebuilt


    with

    Quoted message said:

    this problem? What's a fair price to rebuild or replace hub?

    Muchos Gracias

    --
    ____________________________
    TOMMY HOMICIDE
    http://www.tommyhomicide.com

    you can replace the freehub body without replacing the entire wheel hub, or
    it could be the ratchets are just stuck. I've never worked on a freehub
    body, only have taken them off the wheel hub, so can't advise much more than
    that.

    I had a Cannondale hub that would occasionally slip or jump, I just sprayed
    it full of wd-40, and it seemed to free the ratchets up. I suspect the
    grease had became thick. It's still being used.

  6. Quoted message said:

    Basically the problem is: when I turn the
    cranks, it doesn't make the bike go.

    Turn them the _other_ way.....

    Steve "no backpedalling"

  7. "Tommy Homicide" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know [censored] about fixing bikes. Normally I'd just take it to LBS, but
    thought I'd ask you folks first. Basically the problem is: when I turn the
    cranks, it doesn't make the bike go.

    Let go of the rear brake...

    --
    Cameron

  8. Tommy Homicide said...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know [censored] about fixing bikes. Normally I'd just take it to LBS, but
    thought I'd ask you folks first. Basically the problem is: when I turn the
    cranks, it doesn't make the bike go.

    Front and rear derailleur seem to work OK, chain jumps cogs as it's supposed
    to when I shift, but no rotation of rear wheel. Wierd thing is it worked just
    fine Saturday when I rode.

    WTF?

    Agree with Di, it sounds like your ratchet pawls are stuck down or
    broken. If you have disc brakes, then your hubs are rebadged Hugi Onyx
    and word on the street is they are easy to work on. I own a set, but
    haven't taken them apart. I would just take it to a Trek dealer. I have
    had good luck with Trek customer service in the past.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.