What seats are everyone using?

"Richard Sherratt" wrote

> >I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
> >more comfortable that my current brick.
> >I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

> Selle Italia Trans Am Max. A bit wider than the Flight. Just right for
> those of us who are not built like Lance :)
>
> Stay away from gel anything. The gel transfers the pressure from where
> it should be to the squishy bits. Not good for your sex life.

I spent ages deciding on a new saddle, finally decided to try the much
lauded Fizik Arione. Almost bought a Turbomatic 4, which I'd still like to
try to see if my 'other' choice would have suited me too. After the first
couple of rides I thought I'd blown my cash. Now after finally finding just
the right adjustment I love it. Initially I had it too far back, then the
front tilted a smidge too low. Mind you the other saddle was an entry level
Selle Italia Xo which i didn't like at all.

After reading Richards reply I'd like to try the Trans Am Max too - it
sounds nice!

I recently posted a question to this group about hill climbing technique and
got some great feedback. This has led me to train on more slopes and
gradients than previously. I conciously spend some time off the saddle
during a lot of rides now and this is probably all part of being able to do
a long ride without too much saddle soreness.

Good luck with your choice. It's still a matter of buying and trying unless
you've got a friend or belong to a group with bikes and saddles you can try.

Peter S
skypete(remove_this_bit)@iinet.net.au

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:49:07 +0930, "GDS" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I can only see the Re: and not the original thread so I'll reply here...Rolls (san marco) and it's neigh on 8yrs
>old...it's rooted! I need a new saddle! I'd buy a new Rolls if I could find one, I just haven't looked. I'm a cheap lazy
>*******...if it works, don't fix it...lol. Gawd I'm cheap. My sore **** Vs $X0...idiot that I am.

I bought a Rolls from Phantom Cycles a few years ago, ideal service
for us lazy bastards it arrived by post the next day. Haven't checked
to see if they still sell them BUT I don't need another yet ;)

http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/

Excellent saddle at a very reasonable price

Regards
Bruce

http://www.bcl.id.au

Just received my brand new fizik arione in the post!
Only $120 through ebay. I will place lauded bottom supporter on my pride and joy and report back ASAP.

flyingdutch wrote:
> Peter S Wrote:
>
>>"Richard Sherratt" wrote

>>be

>>>Selle Italia Trans Am Max. A bit wider than the Flight. Just right

>>for
>>
>>>those of us who are not built like Lance :)
>>>
>>>Stay away from gel anything. The gel transfers the pressure from

>>where
>>
>>>it should be to the squishy bits. Not good for your sex life.
>>>

>>I spent ages deciding on a new saddle, finally decided to try the much
>>lauded Fizik Arione. Almost bought a Turbomatic 4, which I'd still like
>>try to see if my 'other' choice would have suited me too. After the
>>first
>>couple of rides I thought I'd blown my cash. Now after finally finding
>>just
>>the right adjustment I love it. Initially I had it too far back, then
>>the
>>front tilted a smidge too low. Mind you the other saddle was an entry
>>level
>>Selle Italia Xo which i didn't like at all.
>>
>>After reading Richards reply I'd like to try the Trans Am Max too - it
>>sounds nice!
>>
>>I recently posted a question to this group about hill climbing
>>technique and
>>got some great feedback. This has led me to train on more slopes and
>>gradients than previously. I conciously spend some time off the saddle
>>during a lot of rides now and this is probably all part of being able
>>to do
>>a long ride without too much saddle soreness.
>>
>>Good luck with your choice. It's still a matter of buying and trying
>>unless
>>you've got a friend or belong to a group with bikes and saddles you can
>>try.
>>
>>Peter S
>>skypete(remove_this_bit)@iinet.net.au

> http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category32_1.htm
>
> Sans Marco Rolls $69. Bargain!!!

pffft....that's not a bargain.

My San Marco Squadra for $6 was a bargain :)

ahhhh....Myer staff - is there anything they can't bugger up :)

--
Nick

bfra1 said:
I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be more comfortable that my current brick.
I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.
Selle Italia Tri matic 2 for the road and some velo thing for the track. Selle Italia, Fizzik, Selle san marco would all be good saddles, most others arent worth wasting your money

"rayner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> bfra1 Wrote:
> > I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
> > more comfortable that my current brick.
> > I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

> Selle Italia Tri matic 2 for the road and some velo thing for the
> track. Selle Italia, Fizzik, Selle san marco would all be good saddles,
> most others arent worth wasting your money
>

> --
> rayner

Flite TT (titanium tubular rails). It was the perfect (flite) shape but a
bit hard at first.After a couple of rides it's fine. When I put a flite gel
saddle on my training bike I found it way to soft.

Peter
(ps anybody want to buy a flite gel saddle?..almost new)

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> BG Wrote:
> > mine is an oldy off a track bike
> > Black plastic , made in italy.......
> > Im so use to it now i cant ride anything else....& its light to.....
> > My son took my original one , a velo as he refused to use the plastic
> > one
> > that came with his Swannee track bike so to prove its as good as any i
> > used
> > it ...got used to it after a while......I will get the brand tonight
> > not
> > that anybody is going to rush out & find one

> Selle San Marco rolls 2 Saddle
>
> keep going back to it but am due to try something new
>
> was eyeing off Geoff's saddle, selle sleek, light looking thing
> altho maybe a carbon seatpost might give me mre benefit as my bum likes
> my saddle...
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Hmmm, eying off my saddle... As long as that was all you were doing.

It's a Selle Italia SLR Carbon with Ti Rails. Next to no padding and really
comfy. It's never given me any chafe which is a pleasant change from the
previously mounted Selle Italia Trimatic2 Gel. The Trimatic will probably
be the last Gel saddle I will ever own. I have never had as many cases of
chafe as I did with this one. Previous to this Gel Trimatic2 I had a
Non-gel Trimatic2. This one was not too bad at all and is still in service,
mounted on my track bike (Until I get hold of an SLR for that too) . I also
have ridden a Selle Italia XO, a fairly narrow saddle similar in shape to
the SLR, and found it to be quite a good saddle for its price point.

It doesn't hurt to experiment with other shapes of saddle to see if there's
something that fits better. But if your bum likes the Rolls then stick with
it. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Geoff

bfra1 wrote:
> I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
> more comfortable that my current brick.
> I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.

Brooks.

Nick Payne wrote:

> bfra1 wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
>> more comfortable that my current brick.
>> I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.
>>

> Brooks.

Agreed they are the best but there is a myth about them needing "wearing
in" which I have never found to be true.
Also they do not look trendy!

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell

Jack Russell said:
Nick Payne wrote:

> bfra1 wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to replace my road bike seat and am wondering what will be
>> more comfortable that my current brick.
>> I'd love to know what seats are popular with the road riders.
>>

> Brooks.

Agreed they are the best but there is a myth about them needing "wearing
in" which I have never found to be true.
Also they do not look trendy!

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell
Older Selle Bassano Vuelta picked it up for $10 brand new maybe 4 years ago

Arrione, apart from the back its the same shape as my old Sel San Marco Corsaire.
Seems to have gel for the fleshy bits, not under the bones.

Actually, Bell, which is basically a Brooks equivalent.
I was told years ago that Bells were around before Brooks and a number
of years ago, someone handed over some of the older seats they had
collected (for their old bicycle collection, which they didn't have and
were going back overseas).

Generally, I have found leather seats the best. Some fitted like a glove
from the first, others took some wearing in.