What size allen key for brakes?

jsull14

Nov 26, 2005
I'm changing brake pads for the first time ever and I need that tiny allen key. Anyone know what size it is. I should have brought the brake with me but I didn't and would like to stop at the hardware store on my way home from work.

Thanks

You will need a #2 allen wrench.

jsull14 said:
I'm changing brake pads for the first time ever and I need that tiny allen key. Anyone know what size it is. I should have brought the brake with me but I didn't and would like to stop at the hardware store on my way home from work.

Thanks

I ended up stripping the bolts with the allen wrench so I had to cut out the old brake pads with a knife and wedge in new ones. Not the ideal way but it worked.

jsull14 said:

Thanks

If this is your first time changing brakes, then other allen wrench related maintenance is not far behind. My suggestion (next time) is to breakdown and buy a cycling multi-tool. Mine is a Topeak. It came inside the Topeak under saddle bag. It also came with tire irons (I don't use them) and a chain tool and a little rain slicker to keep it all dry. The multi-tool has all the allen wrenches you'll ever need, plus a phillips #2 and flat head screw driver. For everything I've ever done on the bike, this little thing is amazing. Plus it's easy to hold on to and all folds down fitting into the bag. Happy repairs!

jsull14 said:
I ended up stripping the bolts with the allen wrench so I had to cut out the old brake pads with a knife and wedge in new ones. Not the ideal way but it worked.

You don't really need the little allen screws on the brake pads. The pads fir pretty tight and won't fall out without them.

John M said:
You don't really need the little allen screws on the brake pads. The pads fir pretty tight and won't fall out without them.
I think that is true. The screw just acts as an interference fit to prevent the removal of the pad. With forward wheel rotation, it's impossible for the pads to fall out. On current Compag brake shoes, there are no such screws.

John M said:
I agree, but my issue now is that both screws are stripped so there is no way to get them out. They stripped so easily. Maybe the allen wrench size was slightly off but I have never had an issue with the other allen screws on the bike.:eek:

jsull14 said:
I agree, but my issue now is that both screws are stripped so there is no way to get them out. They stripped so easily. Maybe the allen wrench size was slightly off but I have never had an issue with the other allen screws on the bike.:eek:
Didn't strip easily in my hands. Suggesting that either you have a poor quality brake shoes, or you used wrong sized allen key or used incorrectly.

The solutions are to remove the pads as you've already done, use a plier to screw it out. Better still, buy a set of new pads with shoes attached.