What size is my vintage Peugeot seat post?

digieditny

Jul 2, 2010
Hey guys. I need to get a seat post for my peugeot. I have no idea what size it is. I don't even know the model or what year is it... I'm posting a picture of the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

digieditny

Is there a sticker on the seattube that says "Carbolite 103"? If so, it's a 23.4mm There was nothing "lite" about it and the term "lite" should have been replaced by "sh1te". My ol' Peugeot "Robert Millar" was made from this stuff and cracked going uphill - cracked faster than Millar going uphill towards the end of the 86 Tour - which, ironically, is about when my frame died.

If it's made from Super Vitus 980 then its another weird size 26.4mm. Why they called it Super Vitus 980 I have no idea since their regular Vitus 979 was way better and ridden by the Pros.

If it's a Reynolds 501 frame then its a 27mm post.

swampy1970 said:
Is there a sticker on the seattube that says "Carbolite 103"? If so, it's a 23.4mm
Did you mean 25.0mm or 25.4mm?

It says cadre allege on it... Does that give any clues? I am totally in the dark here about what seat post I need or even what kind of frame it is.

Appreciate it!

digieditny said:
It says cadre allege on it... Does that give any clues? I am totally in the dark here about what seat post I need or even what kind of frame it is.
This is stating the obvious, but you can ballpark the size by using a ruler ... then choose from the information which swampy1970 provided if the diameter appears to be one of the two larger sizes (i.e., 26.4mm & 27.0mm) ... I'm not sure about that 23.4mm size since 25.0mm was a common size on French bikes (apparently, even on some LOOK frames as recently as 10 years ago).

BTW. Your Peugeot probably dates to the early 70s, possibly the late 60s. The overall condition looks excellent for its age.

Thank you! Actually I just measured the seat post and it's a little smaller than 24mm. So maybe it is 23.4mm. I'll check ebay.

Thank so much for your help guys! Truly appreciate it!

alfeng said:
Did you mean 25.0mm or 25.4mm?

If I recall correctly, the seatpin from the vitus 979 was too big for the carbolite frame which was 23 and change.

swampy1970 said:
If I recall correctly, the seatpin from the vitus 979 was too big for the carbolite frame which was 23 and change.
Those kah-RAY-zee French!