What t wear for cold weather riding.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by DaveWV, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. DaveWV

    DaveWV New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2003
    I'm a former Floridian transplanted here in West Virginia. I never needed to dress for cold weather riding down there. What should I be shopping for( on a budget) so I can get out and ride the trails here in WV and be comfortable. Thanks-------Dave:cool:

    Tags:

  2. Kantspel

    Kantspel Guest

    DaveWV wrote:
    >What should I be shopping for( on a budget) so I can get out and ride the trails here in WV and be
    >comfortable. Thanks-------Dave:cool:

    Good gloves are a must. I personally like some variety of very thin liner and then a moderate weight
    glove over it. That way if you need to use your hands you can take the glove off and still get a
    little protection from the liner. That combo gets me down to about 20deg, below that and I switch to
    a heavier glove.

    Other than that just use lots of layers, the last thing you want to do is wear a big heavy coat that
    you can't shed when you start to sweat. Sweat is a major enemy when it's cold.

    Of course there are lots of variations depending on conditions and type of ride, herer is what I
    find myself mostly in around 20 30 deg: An ultra light coolmax t-shirt bottom layer A thin but
    tightly woven long sleeve synthetic second layer A wool (wool is my favorite) sweater on top. If
    it's windy or wet I swap the wool for a snowboarding jacket.

    For the bottoms I'll usually go with the appropriate weight tights for the temp, and a pair of
    regular cargo pants (I really like pockets).

    Smartwool socks.

  3. kantspel wrote:
    > DaveWV wrote:
    >> What should I be shopping for( on a budget) so I can get out and ride the trails here in WV and
    >> be comfortable. Thanks-------Dave:cool:
    >>
    > Good gloves are a must. I personally like some variety of very thin liner and then a moderate
    > weight glove over it. That way if you need to use your hands you can take the glove off and still
    > get a little protection from the liner. That combo gets me down to about 20deg, below that and I
    > switch to a heavier glove.
    >
    > Other than that just use lots of layers, the last thing you want to do is wear a big heavy coat
    > that you can't shed when you start to sweat. Sweat is a major enemy when it's cold.
    >
    > Of course there are lots of variations depending on conditions and type of ride, herer is what I
    > find myself mostly in around 20 30 deg: An ultra light coolmax t-shirt bottom layer A thin but
    > tightly woven long sleeve synthetic second layer A wool (wool is my favorite) sweater on top. If
    > it's windy or wet I swap the wool for a snowboarding jacket.
    >
    > For the bottoms I'll usually go with the appropriate weight tights for the temp, and a pair of
    > regular cargo pants (I really like pockets).
    >
    > Smartwool socks.

    Remember he's from Florida. What you've just proposed to him is what he'll need in the summer ;)
    Jokes aside. Layers instead of heavy garments is the trick. Also dress just a little less than you
    think you should because soon enough your body heat will warm you up and if you start out with too
    much on you'll either have to stop and shed a couple of layers or start sweating profusely. As far
    as sweating goes I'd say that the more money you spend on technical clohting the more you can allow
    yourself to sweat and it will be transported out without cooling you down too much. All expensive
    clothing isn't technical. Some is just stylish ;)

    There are some interesting equipment and clothing reviews here
    http://users.rcn.com/icebike/Default.htm

    I use the sealskinz socks they review there and I can only vouch for them. I can stick my feet in a
    mudhole up to my knee and my feet will still be dry.
    --
    Perre

  4. "DaveWV" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm a former Floridian transplanted here in West Virginia. I never needed
    to dress for cold weather riding down there. What should I be shopping for( on a budget) so I can
    get out and ride the trails here in WV and be comfortable. Thanks-------Dave:cool:

    I'm a Floridian riding in Florida. I usually ride hard enough to go out in my boxers at 45 degrees.
    Am I weird?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Merry X MAS. Smart move getting out of that geriatric state. I wear a Buff on my head and layer
    everything else. Make sure you get a warm pair of gloves that are flexible. I ride even with temps
    in the single digits. With wind chill way below . Country home WV.

    Fire up MTB 03

  6. Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    > "DaveWV" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > 2.private.usenetserver.com...
    >> I'm a former Floridian transplanted here in West Virginia. I never needed
    > to dress for cold weather riding down there. What should I be shopping for( on a budget) so I can
    > get out and ride the trails here in WV and be comfortable. Thanks-------Dave:cool:
    >
    > I'm a Floridian riding in Florida. I usually ride hard enough to go out in my boxers at 45
    > degrees. Am I weird?

    Yes.

    --
    Perre