What Tam Did...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Tamyka Bell, Jan 31, 2006.

  1. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Tags:

  2. monsterman

    monsterman New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2005
    PHP:
    PHP:
    Nutbag!:eek:

    whats your broad strategy in terms of time on bike and time off (eg, rest, sleep, eat, potties etc).

    Last time I was awake for more than 24 hours involved a few bad tiger prawns and an apocalyptic dose of the squitters ...... Still can't eat the little buggers

  3. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    monsterman wrote:

    > PHP code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > --------------------
    > Tamyka Bell Wrote:
    > > I entered that 24 hr MTB race at Kooralbyn on 22/23 April... as a solo
    > > rider. (See http://www.twowheelpromotions.com.au/ for details.)
    > >
    > > Tam

    > PHP code:
    > --------------------
    >
    > --------------------
    >

    > Nutbag!:eek:
    >
    > whats your broad strategy in terms of time on bike and time off (eg,
    > rest, sleep, eat, potties etc).
    >
    > Last time I was awake for more than 24 hours involved a few bad tiger
    > prawns and an apocalyptic dose of the squitters ...... Still can't eat
    > the little buggers
    >
    > --
    > monsterman

    I will confirm my strategy after the 12 hr race this weekend (yes,
    running)

    Tam

  4. Donga

    Donga Guest

    You'd probably best avoid eating prawns during the race, even if it
    might keep you awake!

  5. retrograded

    retrograded Guest

  6. monsterman

    monsterman New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2005
    PHP:
    PHP:
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

  7. Marx SS

    Marx SS New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2004
    Just don't stop smiling, it'll be easier that way.

  8. MikeyOz

    MikeyOz New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2003
    and talking.... everytime I saw a solo rider on the 24 hour I did, in the pair, they were talking with someone else to keep them company.

  9. Bikesoiler

    Bikesoiler New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003

    Enduro races are fun, you can do as many or as few laps as you feel like!

    My tips,
    Have a race plan ie, are you there to compete or participate?
    It's good to know the course & your approx lap times.
    Don't go too hard too early. Better to do more laps slower than burn out by midnight.
    Have some back-up lights ready, learn from my light stuff-up at the Kona24!
    Find a support person, or share someone with another solo rider. You *Must* have someone else drive home after the race.
    Take all the cycle clothing you own, 24hrs in the same crusty knicks could cause chaffing.
    Food & drinks become more important as each hour passes. I can only eat so much sweet stuff. Take salty snacks like pretzels, chips, cornchips etc.
    Find someone to ride with during the late night hours, even if it means slowing down. Team up with another solo rider & you'll avoid "the long dark night of the soul".

    And as MarxSS said "Keep smiling".

  10. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Bikesoiler wrote:

    > Tamyka Bell Wrote:
    > > I entered that 24 hr MTB race at Kooralbyn on 22/23 April... as a solo
    > > rider. (See http://www.twowheelpromotions.com.au/ for details.)
    > >
    > > Tam

    > Enduro races are fun, you can do as many or as few laps as you feel
    > like!

    That's what I found with the 6hr (pair)

    > My tips,

    thanks :) I need these :)

    > Have a race plan ie, are you there to compete or participate?

    To finish. However being a female solo participant in an enduro in SEQ
    I'm automatically competing.

    > It's good to know the course & your approx lap times.

    It's the same course as the 6 hour I did in November. Loved it!

    > Don't go too hard too early. Better to do more laps slower than burn
    > out by midnight.

    Amen to that one. I'll let you know how it works out for me after the
    weekend's stint.

    > Have some back-up lights ready, learn from my light stuff-up at the
    > Kona24!

    I am trying to borrow the lights that Defence bought for Mont 24 hr - if
    Gags has any comments they'd be much appreciated.

    > Find a support person, or share someone with another solo rider. You
    > *Must* have someone else drive home after the race.

    I learned that after my first ultra.

    > Take all the cycle clothing you own, 24hrs in the same crusty knicks
    > could cause chaffing.

    I think you have no idea how much cycle clothing I own! Hehehe. I can
    do 5 hours in my bibknicks with no issues, although they make toilet
    breaks harder...

    > Food & drinks become more important as each hour passes. I can only eat
    > so much sweet stuff. Take salty snacks like pretzels, chips, cornchips
    > etc.

    Oh, I just take everything I can think of. Am well versed in what you
    feel like eating after a few hours, and have been trying to explain this
    to other people attempting the 6/12hr run this weekend. I went past an
    aid station in my first ultra and spied the ham and salad sandwiches
    (cut into quarters for easier portion control...) and thought, "OMG I
    just gotta eat one of those, RIGHT... NOW!) And peanut butter is just
    the best.

    > Find someone to ride with during the late night hours, even if it means
    > slowing down. Team up with another solo rider & you'll avoid "the long
    > dark night of the soul".

    Sounds like a plan... if they'll wait for me. I suppose this also has
    lighting benefits.

    > And as MarxSS said "Keep smiling".

    Haven't stopped YET in a race!

    My biggest worry is when the brain-fsck factor is going to hit. It hit
    me at Glasshouse, I found myself pausing at the edge of shadows,
    wondering wtf I was doing, and psyching myself up to step back out into
    the sun.

    Tam

  11. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I am trying to borrow the lights that Defence bought for Mont 24 hr - if
    > Gags has any comments they'd be much appreciated.

    I will chase it up tomorrow at work and then get back to you. I know that
    they managed to get a few sets of HID lights so I will see if I can get one
    set and enough batteries to last you through the night.

    I have almost finished building up my dually with the aim of doing a solo 24
    hour in the next 12 months or so (hoping to do six hours in the saddle in
    April as a lead-up). You will have to make it to the Mont this year....not
    sure if I will be up for a solo by then.....maybe we could pair up for the
    mixed pairs category???

    I will let you know via work email how I go tomorrow and via here sometime
    on the weekend.

    Good luck!!!!

    Gags

  12. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 13:09:49 +1100, Bikesoiler wrote:

    > Have a race plan ie, are you there to compete or participate?

    Be realistic about this, and prepared to change it on the go to suit your
    body. I've soloed 2 24 hours now - the first time I rode through until
    about 4 in the morning, crashed until 7, then rode until midday. The
    second I pulled up with bad stomach pains at about 9pm. had a shit of a
    lap at about 5:30, then felt great from 7 through to midday. Despite being
    on the bike for about 5 hours more, I only did 5 more k the first time.

    > Find a support person, or share someone with another solo rider.

    Absolutely. One super supporter can generally support 2-4 riders, so it's
    not too hard.

    > You *Must* have someone else drive home after the race.

    Unless you camp the Sunday night, but you really do want to get to a
    decent bed. I've found I'm fuzzy but OK until about 3-4 pm, then I wake up
    the next morning.

    > Take all the cycle clothing you own, 24hrs in the same crusty knicks
    > could cause chaffing.

    Stock up on Assos or if you're a tightarse try using Amolin, which is for
    nappy rash. If you're any tighter than that, chuck the seat and knicks,
    because you won't be needing them.

    I've found *my* best strategy is to ride in one pair of knicks until I
    have a big rest, change into shorts, then change into fresh knicks when I
    go out again. That means 2 pairs for my efforts.

    > Food & drinks become more important as each hour passes.

    Home made Gu can be a lifesaver - the recipe has been posted here before,
    but I don't have it to hand. My variation is 4 parts maltodextrin, 1 part
    glucose, 2 parts water.

    Mix small portions (~35ml at a time) and use boiling water to assist in
    dissolving the maltodextrin. Once you've made up about a gu flask full put
    in some vanilla essence (use the cheap imitation stuff, it's not going to
    taste any different) and a pinch of salt. I've also used chocolate syrup
    on top of that, but the vanilla is good to cut the aftertaste.

    > Find someone to ride with during the late night hours,

    Even better is to find someone to ride with every lap. You'd be amazed at
    how much easier it makes it to have someone to chat to.

    Other points:

    Look for the most efficient lines. I had a mate who's normally bloody
    quick have trouble keeping up for about a 2km section because I knew the
    lines well enough to not brake, and to not have to pedal much. It's the
    secret to being quick but being able to continue for 24 hours.

    Listen to your body, but know how hard you can push it. This is a
    challenge for yourself, but you don't want to really damage yourself.
    That's where courses like Dargle (Sydney 24) are good - the nasty bits are
    near the start, with a really fun 2nd half. So you get back and want to
    keep riding.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    Random miscellany, as opposed to that other kind of miscellany

  13. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    We are looking forward to an extended RR on your blog. Good luck!

  14. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Gags wrote:

    > "Tamyka Bell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > I am trying to borrow the lights that Defence bought for Mont 24 hr - if
    > > Gags has any comments they'd be much appreciated.
    > >

    > I will chase it up tomorrow at work and then get back to you. I know that
    > they managed to get a few sets of HID lights so I will see if I can get one
    > set and enough batteries to last you through the night.
    >
    > I have almost finished building up my dually with the aim of doing a solo 24
    > hour in the next 12 months or so (hoping to do six hours in the saddle in
    > April as a lead-up). You will have to make it to the Mont this year....not
    > sure if I will be up for a solo by then.....maybe we could pair up for the
    > mixed pairs category???
    >
    > I will let you know via work email how I go tomorrow and via here sometime
    > on the weekend.
    >
    > Good luck!!!!
    >
    > Gags

    :D thanks dude,

    Marc told me that Russ knows all about the lights... but I felt a bit
    funny about just chasing them up myself... from a civvy email address...

    Tam