What the ?

I've seen it a lot this year - Paolo Bettini uses one, among other riders. It seems to just hang there, doing nothing.

I read the other day (Cycling Plus?) that there's a new bicycle computer that replaces the spline in the front hub. (no magnets etc). That computer have some sort of wireless transmitter... Perhaps that's what it is?

That's as good a guess as any; I figured it had to be a data-gathering unit of some kind, but did notice that there wasn't any obvious magnet.

Originally posted by lokstah
Explain? What are those?

its a little widget that tells the race officials computer that you have crossed the line so they can record your time

triathletes strap them to their legs

obviously having it as far forward as possible is best or the UCI mandates it on the forks

Originally posted by Duckwah
its a little widget that tells the race officials computer that you have crossed the line so they can record your time

triathletes strap them to their legs

obviously having it as far forward as possible is best or the UCI mandates it on the forks

Ditto..

In South Africa we have 2 Timing Companies.. One is ChampionChip :D and the other....well, there is another one...:mad:

Our Timing Chips are attached to the same place where you see that blue chip. Each cyclist has to purchase a chip and they then get a Chip Code allocated to them. This code is then picked up when we cross matts at the beginning and Finishing line to register the time we started and Finished.

ChampionChip is always on the ball and will have the info on their site immediatly. The other one....well yes.... It gives us our race time, average, km travelled per minute, where we finished in the race, where we finished in our startgroup and in our gender. We can also see how we compared with our Club Members and Age Group.

I agree, it must be a timing chip.

There is a cycle computer on the bike - if you look in a couple of the other photos you can see the wire running down the fork and the sensor. The magnet is silver about 2/3 out towards the rim.