What to buy?? $5000 limit

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Michael Day, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Michael Day

    Michael Day Guest

    OK want carbon. There are quite a few options. Haven't been riding long enough to know all the ins
    and outs and would appreciate some help. $5000 is the budget - not even 1 dollar over.

    thanks in anticipation

    Tags:

  2. bag_head

    bag_head New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Sorry mate to spend more than your budget , but I got a 2004 Giant TCR Composite 0 for $5600 with full durace 2004 & Mavic Ksyrium SLL.

    You could go for the 2004 Giant TCR Composite 1 which comes with ultegra and Mavic Ksyrium - this should be well under 5k

    or phone around your local giant bike shops and see if you could get hold of a 2003 Giant TCR Composite 0 - should get a good deal on that model

  3. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Michael Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OK want carbon. There are quite a few options. Haven't been riding long enough to know all the ins
    > and outs and would appreciate some help. $5000
    is
    > the budget - not even 1 dollar over.

    Why the carbon lust? Don't get me wrong, I'd love a carbon machine, if only to test it out, just
    curious...

    Here's one: http://www.flyingfurniture.com.au/picture_m5carbon.html

    ;-)

    $5k is a lot to drop if you haven't been riding long. You didn't actually say, but I assume you mean
    road bike and not mtb or something?

    Giant, Trek, Cervelo, Fondriest, Colnago, Look, and many many others all make nice carbon bikes,
    Giant and Trek being the most common by far and easiest to actually buy.

    http://www.cbdcycles.com.au/shop/Shop/bikes/Giant2003Road
    http://www.fraserscycles.com.au/Road_Bikes_Trek.htm

    I think you might need to think about this a little more and post with more details of what type of
    riding you do and more specifics on what you want?

    Do you have existing parts that could be used on a new frame?

    hippy

  4. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    > "Michael Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    <snip>

    > $5k is a lot to drop if you haven't been riding long.

    Relative. His income level might be such that 5k is like our $250. I could only dream of having the
    sort of bank balance that would allow me to spend that sort of money on something I dont yet know
    much about.

    Pete

  5. Hitchy

    Hitchy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2004
    Messages:
    1,876

    G'day,

    $5k all up, probably doesn't give you too many choices in Carbon. Off hand, the 'Hyundai' Giant TCR (is it 1?), Ultegra spec?. Probably a Trek, maybe the 5200, again with an Ultegra Spec. RU married to carbon?. With 'only' $5k to spend you are probably better off looking at a different frame & thus have soemthing extra to spend on the 'go faster' components, like wheels & gruppo. You racing it? What level RU at?,

    cheers,

    Hitchy

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    not sure if they do a full carbon but definetely do a dual Alu/Carbon - ORBEA. beautiful handpainted frames and VERY price competitive

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    not sure if they do a full carbon but definetely do a dual Alu/Carbon - ORBEA. beautiful handpainted frames and VERY price competitive (and not EVERY joe has em!)

  8. Hippy

    Hippy Guest

    "Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > $5k all up, probably doesn't give you too many choices in Carbon. Off hand, the 'Hyundai' Giant
    > TCR (is it 1?), Ultegra spec?. Probably a Trek, maybe the 5200, again with an Ultegra Spec. RU
    > married to
    carbon?.
    > With 'only' $5k to spend you are probably better off looking at a different frame & thus have
    > soemthing extra to spend on the 'go
    faster'
    > components, like wheels & gruppo. You racing it? What level RU at?,

    Yeah, I just had a quick skim around.. there's not much in the way of 'cheap' carbon bikes out
    there! I thought they'd be MUCH cheaper nowadays with the higher volumes being produced and their
    popularity (e.g. Trek and Lance). I'd like to test ride one of the Giants...

    hippy Steel is real, but so is Al and Ti and carbon and Mg and Scandium and Beryllium and wood and
    fibreglass and all combinations of the above... ;-)

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    You could just buy a frame and sit on the couch with it and place a fan blowing in your face to imagine how fast you would be going:D :D :D

  10. Paul J

    Paul J New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    They do a full carbon model called the Orca. I prefer the Alu/Carbon frames. They start with Mitis which is their own inhouse tubing but comes with the full warranty that all the others have. Then there's Mitis with carbon stays. Everything else is Columbus tubing. They're very nice frames and have a very sweet ride. Totally comfortable. The paint work is fantastic although the 2004 models have reduced the range of colours available. You can basically build a bike up with these frames for a fraction of what others would cost.

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    think i saw an 'orca' last night at the kew crits. Is it orange/blue?

    looked weally nice

  12. David Pascoe

    David Pascoe Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:11:44 +1100, "Michael Day" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK want carbon. There are quite a few options. Haven't been riding long enough to know all the ins
    >and outs and would appreciate some help. $5000 is the budget - not even 1 dollar over.
    >
    >thanks in anticipation

    The Giant TCR1 is awesome value for what you get. Full carbon frame, Ksyrium SSC SL, FSA Carbon
    crank, Full Ultegra, Easton oversize bars etc. The latest edition of Ride had a writeup in the back.

    I reckon no other carbon pricepoint can beat it. A Trek 5200 might come close dollarwise if you
    can haggle.

    davidp.
    --
    David Pascoe, [email protected], Western Australia

  13. miday

    miday New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2003
    Thanks for all the replies. Ride with a fairly good group at about B-C grade level. Doing about 300km p/week so want something substancially better than the anvil I'm lugging around at the moment.

    Seems that the Giant 04 Composite 1 or 0 at 4k and 5.7K respectively might be the best buys around. Looking forward to any further comments though!

  14. bag_head

    bag_head New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    I think you will find that the Giant TCR 1 'only' comes with the Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheel set

  15. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Got it!

    $4899 for Scott CR-1 Pro, Ultegra, Ksyrium Elites, avail 49cm-61cm. I think it looks pretty sweet

    http://www.freedommachine.com.au/item.asp?Category=159&Start=0&ID=789

    hippy

  16. patch70

    patch70 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2003
    Messages:
    1,682
    Can you carry over any components from your old bike to keep costs down?
    Or do you want a whole new bike?
    If the latter, you are restricted to the Giant; I am pretty sure the Trek 5200 is over $5K.
    If the former, you could get the Trek 5200, Bianchi XL, Look KG 361 or 461, Kestrel Talon or others as a frameset and build up from there. the Bianchi has the advantage (?) of being monocoque.

  17. patch70

    patch70 New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2003
    Messages:
    1,682
  18. Etxy

    Etxy New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2003
  19. Bjay

    Bjay Guest

    I have just gone through a similar situation to yourself but was looking at the $4000 - $4500 range
    for a carbon fibre bike. I only compared the Giant TCR1 Composite and Trek 5200 (looked at the TCR0
    too but more than I wanted to pay), and chose the TCR1 on price and features, and the write-ups were
    good. I am not a racer, just enjoy riding and do alot of it and wanted a fairly decent bike.

    Remember to factor in additional items such as pedals, speedo, bidon cages, shoes etc to the total
    price, and also remember, never ever pay retail! You should be able to purchase the total package
    for a 10% - 15% discount on retail by knowing what you want before you enter the shop, haggling, and
    being prepared to purchase on the spot if given a deal you are happy with.