what to do about a couple of broken spokes

Jani Yusef

Guest
A couple of spokes broke over the length of some riding.
Is it worth replacing the spokes or should I just get a new rim and
everything? Right around the broken spokes the rim is sort of bent
outwards to the point where it now rubs up against the brake pads.
Why is this? Is this because of uneven distribution of the weight on the
rim now?

Jani Yusef wrote:
> A couple of spokes broke over the length of some riding.
> Is it worth replacing the spokes or should I just get a new rim and
> everything? Right around the broken spokes the rim is sort of bent
> outwards to the point where it now rubs up against the brake pads.
> Why is this? Is this because of uneven distribution of the weight on the
> rim now?

Obviously, it's time to buy a new bike.

:)

OK, so here's what you need to do:

Take your wheels to a bike shop that can build wheels, and does a good
job of it. Have them replace ALL the spokes, on both wheels.

Or, buy the necessary spokes yourself, and replace them yourself, using
a book like "The Bicycle Wheel" or Sheldon Brown's web page devoted to
wheelbuilding.

The rim has a bend in it because the spokes that used to pull the rim
into shape are now broken, and not providing any pull.

The reason spokes break, aside from if the chain falls into the
drive-side spokes and damages them, is because they were probably not
properly tensioned to begin with, and cyclic loading has caused bending
in the elbow region, which leads to metal fatigue, and then to
breakage. That's where most spokes fail - at the hub. If the chain
drops between the cassette and the spokes, it can score the spokes,
which then might break later.

The reason I say to replace all the spokes is because the others that
aren't broken now might break at some later time, for the same probable
reason the current ones broke - metal fatigue. Better to do the job
right than half-assed, if you'll pardon the expression.

Maybe more than you wanted to know, but what the heck. Didn't cost you
anything but time to read it. :)

E.P.

"Jani Yusef" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>A couple of spokes broke over the length of some riding.
> Is it worth replacing the spokes or should I just get a new rim and
> everything? Right around the broken spokes the rim is sort of bent
> outwards to the point where it now rubs up against the brake pads.
> Why is this? Is this because of uneven distribution of the weight on the
> rim now?

Fix it!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_truing.shtml

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 22:54:05 GMT, Jani Yusef <[email protected]> wrote:

>A couple of spokes broke over the length of some riding.
>Is it worth replacing the spokes or should I just get a new rim and
>everything? Right around the broken spokes the rim is sort of bent
>outwards to the point where it now rubs up against the brake pads.
>Why is this? Is this because of uneven distribution of the weight on the
>rim now?

replace the spokes

peace,
bill
The First law, Inertia: Unless acted upon by an outside force,
a body at rest tends to stay at rest,
and a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
Sir Isaac Newton

Jani Yusef wrote:
> A couple of spokes broke over the length of some riding.
> Is it worth replacing the spokes or should I just get a new rim and
> everything? Right around the broken spokes the rim is sort of bent
> outwards to the point where it now rubs up against the brake pads.
> Why is this? Is this because of uneven distribution of the weight on the
> rim now?

Replace the broken spokes and watch carefully for any others that go. I
had a bad batch of spokes and had 6 go just in commuting to
work...needless to say, that was a complete tear down and rebuild.

Psycho Michael