General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

What to do with chicken? Help!

Started by Day Dreamer · · Last activity · 27 posts · 716 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 April 2005
Last activity
22 April 2005
Original author
Day Dreamer
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
716
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–27 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Gregory Morrow said:
    Katra said:

    If I try refrigerator thawing, it's still WAY too frozen when I


    need

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to cook it and I HATE microwave defrosting! It cooks the
    rubber every time. :-P

    KATRA! Did Shelly teach you that "method"...!!!???

    With old stew hens you don't need no stinkin' rubbers... they don't
    swell, they don't tell, and they're happy as hell.

    Sheldon


  2. Quoted message said:

    Umm, wouldn`t doing this result in a rather
    bland meal?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    He's just a relative of Smeagol...

    Who is Smeagol?

  3. From: [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    Applebee's is the absolute worst. I have eaten
    there a couple of times and swore I'd never
    be back. I reminds me so of hospital cafeteria
    food.

    Hmmm, I`ve never eaten at Applebee`s. Just never had the occasion to.
    The one around here seems very busy, though. I`ve read negative things
    before in this group about the place - what exactly about it makes it so
    bad?

  4. Years ago, when I was young (ok, many years ago), I took up backpacking
    as a hobby. I bought an excellent book on the subject, which made my
    very first, and many subsequent trips, delightful because I was well
    prepared. But the British author, Colin Fletcher, warned his readers at
    the beginning of his chapter on food, that his British tastes might not
    be acceptable to many others, and to take that chapter with a grain of
    salt. I read it, and wisely decided to go elsewhere for advice on food.

    Chula, you'd enjoy eating with Colin. For most of us, we prefer to do
    something to bring out the flavor. I used to cook steaks by broiling or
    grilling them straight out of the package. Then I found they tasted
    better if I coated them with a little olive oil and some salt and
    pepper. Sauteing some sliced mushrooms and onions to put on the steak
    was even better! Now, I almost always make a rub out of salt, pepper,
    and whatever spices I choose that day. Parsley, sage, rosemary and
    thyme... It makes the steak, even an expensive one, taste better to me.
    I still taste the meat, but it has the added flavors of the spices. It
    makes a cheap steak a whole lot better! I find the same thing to be
    true with pork, lamb and chicken. I like my lamb pretty basic, usually,
    but then put mint sauce and mint jelly on it as I eat. I love it that
    way.
    As far as chicken goes, I love how many things I can do with it.
    Everything from basic (not as basic as chula's) to fancy. Love chicken
    breast poached in white wine with white sauce over fresh mango and
    papaya! The flavors dance over my tongue like Fred and Ginger (without
    her high heels, or course! If I want the high heels, I do something
    with hot peppers and ginger.(the spice, not the woman. She's dead.)).
    I have a close friend who I dine with at her house occasionally. She is
    a good cook, if you like chicken (and everything else) without anything
    added except for a bit of salt and pepper. I find it very bland.
    As far as the remarks on "food safety" regarding chicken, I find this
    overdone. People seem to think that by taking extreme measures in
    preparing their food, particularly chicken, they can avoid all germs.
    Just isn't going to happen in a real kitchen in the real world. I
    watched Alton Brown's show (I'm a big fan, like others here) on
    chicken. Preparing it on a special cutting board, used only for
    chicken, that is cleaned every time it's used with chlorine, along with
    the area around the cutting board, while he wears latex gloves! If I
    was that paranoid about fixing chicken, I'd just call in a Hazmat crew
    everytime I saw the stuff and have it properly disposed of in a toxic
    dump! Shouldn't he marinate the chicken in a chlorine solution just to
    be sure? Oops, bad idea, the chlorine in the chicken would kill you!
    Then why is there chlorine all around the chicken while it's being
    prepared?
    Anyway, that's my rant for this week. Stay tuned, more to come, like it
    or not.

  5. (EDT-3) From: [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    I don't think it would be. If you like the taste of
    meat. Nothing perturbs me more than people
    who take a great chunk of meat and proceed
    to diddle with it until it's flavor is totally
    indistigushable. Lamb, for instance, tastes
    divine. I could throttle morons who INSIST on
    dumping a half a gallon of rosemary on it
    thinking it is the "trendy" thing to do.

    Quoted message said:

    Although I will concede that chicken breasts
    are somewhat without the necessary fat to
    give it a good yummy flavor, I would
    therefore, suggest that it be cooked in a
    generous portion of butter so that it can get all
    brown and crunchy and taste ultra good!

    I see your point. And believe me, by no means am I any kind of fancy
    shmancy chef using all kinds of exotic ingredients and involved cooking
    techniques. I agree, there`s alot to be said for simple. I do like
    simple recipes that don`t require alot of ingredients, or at least alot
    of ingredients I wouldn`t normally keep on hand. Many times I`ve
    purchased a bottle of some spice of some type because a particular
    recipe called for it , and used it once and then it sat on a shelf,
    unused, for a very long time.

    Not that I`m not looking to learn,or expand my horizons a bit - but
    sometimes time and money are a factor, too. I also don`t own any top of
    the line expensive fancy cookware or anything either. (I`m planning on
    purchasing some new cookware, which I was going to post for advice on
    here)

    When I`m cooking a whole roasted chicken, the most I ever do to it is
    rub a bit of butter or oil on the skin, and sprinkle some salt & pepper,
    maybe some Montreal chicken seasoning or something and that`s it. And it
    always turns out delicious.

    I do find that the boneless skinless chicken breasts need a little
    something to jazz them up a bit - even if it is just some breadcrumbs or
    something.

  6. "Day Dreamer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    From: [email hidden] (Nexis)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hmmm...do you have any pasta to serve it
    with? If so, try slicing into thin slices across
    the length and sautéing for a few minutes in
    butter and olive oil. Add some minced garlic,
    diced plum tomatoes, chicken broth, and if
    you have any, some basil. Add 1/4 cup of the
    water from the pasta. Simmer 5 minutes then
    toss with pasta and serve with the parmesan
    cheese.

    Quoted message said:

    Good idea - I think this is what I`ll do, since it`s such a small amount
    of chicken (about 9 oz. total and this meal is for 2 people). The pasta
    and tomatoes will sorta bulk it up a bit. How much chicken broth would
    you put in? The whole can?

    It depends on the juiciness of the tomatoes. If they're really good, ripe
    and juicy, you'll only need about 1 cup of broth. If they're not so juicy, 1
    1/2 to 2 cups usually does the trick.

    kimberly

  7. "Serene" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    The Ranger said:

    Serene <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dave Smith <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > I found a couple chicken breasts sitting out to defrost this


    afternoon.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >
    Eek! Food safety nightmare!


    Why? As long as it wasn't all day or 1/2-a-day, there shouldn't be a
    problem.

    Not safe, not safe! If it's long enough to thaw the chicken it's too
    long. See
    http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Chicken_Food_Safety_Focus/index.asp
    among others. Not safe!

    serene, Chicken Little

    I do sincerely hope you are being sarcastic, heheheh...

    ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.